• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

I'm convinced that Hojberg has a massive ego and thinks he needs to be the center of the play.

The change of boot incident, how when in doubt he just goes backwards mostly, and when he does decide to go forward it has to be at his timing and when he's ready. He doesn't instantly track back urgently when defending too, hoping to assess the situation for the right thing to do instead of breaking a sweat for the team. Also despite being in a critical role, he doesn't have good understanding with any of the players for an instinctive pass.

To me he looks like he plays for his stats and youtube video clips. "Hollywood Hojberg".

I'm convinced that Hojberg has a massive ego and thinks he needs to be the center of the play.

The change of boot incident, how when in doubt he just goes backwards mostly, and when he does decide to go forward it has to be at his timing and when he's ready. He doesn't instantly track back urgently when defending too, hoping to assess the situation for the right thing to do instead of breaking a sweat for the team. Also despite being in a critical role, he doesn't have good understanding with any of the players for an instinctive pass.

To me he looks like he plays for his stats and youtube video clips. "Hollywood Hojberg".

Haha the "Viking"....purleeeease

An eye-opening last few comments...genuinely!
He is brick
Cmon even you can admit it
2 goals for midfield this season so far…. Not good enough … pjust because it’s better than every player in the Chelsea side apart from one… meh
Assists…. He has only got 1… that’s on par with rubbish players like eriksen
The never has a good game. Every when he does it’s only when everyone else plays well and he can’t be the reason
We should bin him and go out a get a creative genius.,.. Rolf Harris would do

He is brick
Cmon even you can admit it
2 goals for midfield this season so far…. Not good enough … pjust because it’s better than every player in the Chelsea side apart from one… meh
Assists…. He has only got 1… that’s on par with rubbish players like eriksen
The never has a good game. Every when he does it’s only when everyone else plays well and he can’t be the reason
We should bin him and go out a get a creative genius.,.. Rolf Harris would do

Indeed.
He is definitely underrated, and further, suffers from the idea that in a 3-4-3 he is keeping us from playing a ‘creative midfielder’ which is silliness. His creativity is actually underrated. He’ll never be an Eriksen/Maddison-esque player, but…I’ll stop because we both know the answer.

Most good players probably have a solid ego. To ask extent I think that's beneficial.

I see no signs in Hojbjerg of his ego being inflated more than other players or beyond his level as a player.

I disagree with just about every interpretation you make of what's going on.

Conte works with him every day. He's one of Conte's most trusted players so far. Same with Mourinho. Same with Nuno. Same with Hasenhutl at Southampton.

If they had any incling that Hojbjerg just played for his stats or YouTube clips I don't think that would have been the case. But from the outside you see what they can't see working with him day in day out.

The fact that even his very good, very positive on the ball attacking contributions is brought up as a reason to hold this negative view of him I find baffling.

He's a very good player. A very good fit for our team. And he seems to be a leader in the group and on the pitch. He's the kind of player we've lacked for years and years.

We've signed well in central midfield. Bentancur and Bissouma. Skipp has broken through. All players that fans have at different times rated higher than Hojbjerg. I know it's early, Skipp has been injured, Bissouma is settling in. But early signs are that they'll have a tough time moving Hojbjerg out of the starting lineup.

How long will that have to continue for you to change your mind?

Most good players probably have a solid ego. To ask extent I think that's beneficial.

I see no signs in Hojbjerg of his ego being inflated more than other players or beyond his level as a player.

I disagree with just about every interpretation you make of what's going on.

Conte works with him every day. He's one of Conte's most trusted players so far. Same with Mourinho. Same with Nuno. Same with Hasenhutl at Southampton.

If they had any incling that Hojbjerg just played for his stats or YouTube clips I don't think that would have been the case. But from the outside you see what they can't see working with him day in day out.

The fact that even his very good, very positive on the ball attacking contributions is brought up as a reason to hold this negative view of him I find baffling.

He's a very good player. A very good fit for our team. And he seems to be a leader in the group and on the pitch. He's the kind of player we've lacked for years and years.

We've signed well in central midfield. Bentancur and Bissouma. Skipp has broken through. All players that fans have at different times rated higher than Hojbjerg. I know it's early, Skipp has been injured, Bissouma is settling in. But early signs are that they'll have a tough time moving Hojbjerg out of the starting lineup.

How long will that have to continue for you to change your mind?

I mean as great as your post is, and I mean that genuinely, I feel you have overly, almost, romanticised his impact on us.

For me he is almost stuck in the middle on what he wants to be because he is not exceptional going forward or as a defensive midfielder for me and although I can accept he has done a job for us we could and should do better in that area. We are aspiring to be pushing on and he is not in the same league as the likes of the Modrics and Carricks who were very good in that role and I think we have every right to compare him to those types as for me thats the level so when we you say "he is a very good player" I mean there are levels to it, compare to Michael Brown he is but should the benchmark be that low?

I mean as great as your post is, and I mean that genuinely, I feel you have overly, almost, romanticised his impact on us.

For me he is almost stuck in the middle on what he wants to be because he is not exceptional going forward or as a defensive midfielder for me and although I can accept he has done a job for us we could and should do better in that area. We are aspiring to be pushing on and he is not in the same league as the likes of the Modrics and Carricks who were very good in that role and I think we have every right to compare him to those types as for me thats the level so when we you say "he is a very good player" I mean there are levels to it, compare to Michael Brown he is but should the benchmark be that low?

Modric became arguably the best in the world, one of the best in his role in a generation. Clearly (imo) world class. Carrick was the best English player in his role in a generation and an exceptional, though probably not truly world class, player.

Hojbjerg isn't at their level. One can be a very good player without being at those levels the way I use words at least.

Compare him to whoever you want. I compared him to Bentancur, Bissouma and Skipp. I'm definitely open to the idea that two of those will eclipse Hojbjerg given enough time. I'm just not seeing it happening yet. If it does, if they become better in the eyes of Conte I will gladly agree that they are better.

When I said he's a player that we've lacked for years and years it's that combination of ability on the pitch and mentality. I think he's very strong in that regard. It's something we've definitely missed.

He's not world class, he's not exceptional. There are better players out there, some of them we could even sign given enough investment. But the combination of being very good, with a very good mentality and being a good fit for our system is a very good combination. Ticking one or two of those boxes isn't enough, we've had plenty of players that have and suffered for it. He's nowhere near the top of what would be my priorities for further business for that reason.

We could be better with someone else. But there are many ways to improve and improving as a team with him, to a very high level, seems perfectly possible. To me he's exactly the kind of very good, but not great/exceptional player one should have. Unless one manages to get all exceptional players, we're quite a way off that.

I also happen to think that upgrading on him would be more difficult than those who are more critical of him seem to think.

Bissouma has come in. Regarded as one of the best in his role outside the top 6 in the PL. I know it's early, but he hasn't replaced Hojbjerg. I'm in a position of waiting to see what happens, he may, he may not. That will tell us more about how highly Conte rates Hojbjerg.

Modric became arguably the best in the world, one of the best in his role in a generation. Clearly (imo) world class. Carrick was the best English player in his role in a generation and an exceptional, though probably not truly world class, player.

Hojbjerg isn't at their level. One can be a very good player without being at those levels the way I use words at least.

Compare him to whoever you want. I compared him to Bentancur, Bissouma and Skipp. I'm definitely open to the idea that two of those will eclipse Hojbjerg given enough time. I'm just not seeing it happening yet. If it does, if they become better in the eyes of Conte I will gladly agree that they are better.

When I said he's a player that we've lacked for years and years it's that combination of ability on the pitch and mentality. I think he's very strong in that regard. It's something we've definitely missed.

He's not world class, he's not exceptional. There are better players out there, some of them we could even sign given enough investment. But the combination of being very good, with a very good mentality and being a good fit for our system is a very good combination. Ticking one or two of those boxes isn't enough, we've had plenty of players that have and suffered for it. He's nowhere near the top of what would be my priorities for further business for that reason.

We could be better with someone else. But there are many ways to improve and improving as a team with him, to a very high level, seems perfectly possible. To me he's exactly the kind of very good, but not great/exceptional player one should have. Unless one manages to get all exceptional players, we're quite a way off that.

I also happen to think that upgrading on him would be more difficult than those who are more critical of him seem to think.

Bissouma has come in. Regarded as one of the best in his role outside the top 6 in the PL. I know it's early, but he hasn't replaced Hojbjerg. I'm in a position of waiting to see what happens, he may, he may not. That will tell us more about how highly Conte rates Hojbjerg.

Could not agree more, sadly because he is not a flashy player he is underated by some of our fans. Bringing him in when we did was one of the first steps to improving our team ( imo) we had missed a player like him and most fans i know could see that he was a big improvent for us. He is not and never will be " world class " as you say but he is a very important player in the way we play.

I am not saying he will be first choice in future seasons but if we do start winning things there is no doubt in my mind ( and as i said most fans i know) he was one of the players who have helped us become a team who is now cabable of doing that.

Wouldn't say under the radar, he got a lot of praise in the match thread. I don't rate him but he was excellent yesterday.

On the BBC match ratings he was our lowest rated player at something like 4.05 out of 10. Makes me wonder what some people are watching when they look at a game. fudging baffling stuff.

Thought he was excellent yesterday and excellent last Wednesday.

I thought he played well yesterday, but I also noticed some nice instinctive link ups between Bentancur and Bissouma I haven't seen between Hojberg and Bentancur or Skipp,

I wonder if his style makes him difficult to build an understanding with, it's not like he's just a destroyer as we see Zidane like pirouettes and through balls but they always come as a surprise!

Back