• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Think he's looked good so far. Definitely not top class defensively in terms of tackling, gets bypassed a bit too easy from time to time. Other than that he's been solidly doing his job defensively and at the same time being useful on the ball.

Looks like just the kind of affordable, ready made upgrade we were after.

Hopefully as he settles he can push on from that, still relatively young.

Reminds me a lot of Jordan Henderson.

For good and bad.

Very steady, very chest-beating, very energetic, very involved, not skillful but not poor, just very Henderson. Not rated. And he just won everything.

For good and bad.

Very steady, very chest-beating, very energetic, very involved, not skillful but not poor, just very Henderson. Not rated. And he just won everything.

Thats fine though. Whether we go 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 we need someone like that in CM. We've lacked a CM with heart and a winning attitude for years

For good and bad.

Very good comparison
What I liked today was when he came on he was a nuisance but when he got the ball he played heads up and with a confidence
Good penalty too

Very good comparison
What I liked today was when he came on he was a nuisance but when he got the ball he played heads up and with a confidence
Good penalty too

The thing that has impressed me most about him so far is his reading of the game and positioning. When he came on today, as well as closing down Chelsea well, he was always there to support a teammate and make himself available to receive the ball.

For good and bad.

Good spot and i agree, there are a lot of fans who dislike Henderson and the way he plays but he ( and players like him) are invaluable to teams if they want to be winners.

For good and bad.

I'll add my voice to the agreements. He is exactly that.

Didn't see enough of him today to really have an opinion on his performance.

However, thinking about it, I really liked that he was straight up to Mourinho to volunteer for the pens afterward. And that he took it as expertly as he did. Him, Dier, Kane, Lamela, Lucas - you can tell who the determined, driven types in that dressing room are by the folks who stepped up to take them. And the thing is, unlike the other four, he's new to the side, so it took courage to step forward with the rest of them.

The thing is, a lot of these blokes who shout and point a lot often do it to hide their own consistencies and mask their own insecurities, on and off the field. So you're never sure when someone's a genuine leader, and when they're just posturing.

Credit to him for stepping up - says good things about his mentality and willingness to lead by example.

My early impressions of the guy are that he's not poor, but not great either - just sort of there. But, more than anything else, we don't need skill - we have skill by the bucketload at the moment. We need balls, and a willingness to stand up and be counted, a refusal to hide.

If he brings that, he will have justified his transfer fee ten times over.

Didn't see enough of him today to really have an opinion on his performance.

However, thinking about it, I really liked that he was straight up to Mourinho to volunteer for the pens afterward. And that he took it as expertly as he did. Him, Dier, Kane, Lamela, Lucas - you can tell who the determined, driven types in that dressing room are by the folks who stepped up to take them. And the thing is, unlike the other four, he's new to the side, so it took courage to step forward with the rest of them.

The thing is, a lot of these blokes who shout and point a lot often do it to hide their own consistencies and mask their own insecurities, on and off the field. So you're never sure when someone's a genuine leader, and when they're just posturing.

Credit to him for stepping up - says good things about his meteorology and willingness to lead by example.

My early impressions of the guy are that he's not poor, but not great either - just sort of there. But, more than anything else, we don't need skill - we have skill by the bucketload at the moment. We need balls, and a willingness to stand up and be counted, a refusal to hide.

If he brings that, he will have justified his transfer fee ten times over.
Definitely not just a pointy shouty bloke.

Not great, not poor leaves a fairly wide spectrum. I agree that he's not great on the ball, but he's miles ahead of Sissoko and shows significantly more purpose on the ball than the current version on Winks (still hoping Winksy recovers that too). Wants the ball, moves into space, close control and passing accuracy to then do useful stuff. Solid upgrade all around.

Definitely not just a pointy shouty bloke.

Not great, not poor leaves a fairly wide spectrum. I agree that he's not great on the ball, but he's miles ahead of Sissoko and shows significantly more purpose on the ball than the current version on Winks (still hoping Winksy recovers that too). Wants the ball, moves into space, close control and passing accuracy to then do useful stuff. Solid upgrade all around.

Atm there's possibly a little bit of the Palacios's about him, in that it's as it's a position we've been crying out for strengthening for several seasons now, simply having someone ok in there makes such a difference.

He's a metronomic disruptor. Breaks up play, wins the ball back but has the ability to recycle possession and even make nice progressive forward passes. Unlike Sissoko who is a disruptor, but often inadvertently for both sides.

He's just the player we needed, perhaps our most important signing. He allows other's to play while still contributing.

One criticism would be that he needs to stick a bit tighter to that back 4 shield position, but I don't want to discourage endeavor either.

Atm there's possibly a little bit of the Palacios's about him, in that it's as it's a position we've been crying out for strengthening for several seasons now, simply having someone ok in there makes such a difference.
I think comparisons to some of our best midfield tacklers of the (somewhat) recent past are a bit wide of the mark. He's not as good one v. one defensively, or as a tackler, as Sandro, Palacios, Wanyama, Dier at their peak.

He is also quite a bit better on the ball than the majority of those players at the very least (I would argue all of them).

I think comparisons to some of our best midfield tacklers of the (somewhat) recent past are a bit wide of the mark. He's not as good one v. one defensively, or as a tackler, as Sandro, Palacios, Wanyama, Dier at their peak.

He is also quite a bit better on the ball than the majority of those players at the very least (I would argue all of them).

Totally agree - personally I’d go so far as to say he’s looked quite bad at tackling (despite being tenacious and hard working), and looked very good at passing (at least short-medium range).

I think people vastly underestimate this guy (the Henderson comparison from that point is probably apt)

He's what 5 games into his Spurs career filling a role in a midfield that has been absolutely dysfunctional for 18 months?

Played well against barcodes (and we played probably our best game of Jose era), came on against Chelsea and we looked good.

Players like him you need to stop nitpicking his on the ball play, and look at team impact

Very good point and agreed.

Hes not amazing but just having a player with correct instincts in such a vital area goes a looong way.

He done alot better this week. Helped by playing in a structure and knowing his job rather than the bull in china shop role he attempts at times

Back