• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pedro Porro

Seeing Doherty and Spence and Gil go out on loan and Porro come in does not fill me with confidence our season is going to move in a different direction.

Maybe we could not pass up the chance to sign him.

Centre backs are still a massive concern as we just look vulnerable back there.
Porro and Danjuma >>>> Spence, Doherty and Gill.

conte might actually play them for starters.

Seeing Doherty and Spence and Gil go out on loan and Porro come in does not fill me with confidence our season is going to move in a different direction.

Might be better defensively if we try attacking more and not always on the back foot the whole time.

Porro and Danjuma >>>> Spence, Doherty and Gill.

conte might actually play them for starters.

Porro yes I hope so . Danjuma not so sure.

Just feel we are not shopping for the places we have issues. Doherty and Gil were fine when they played.

Porro is 100% a good signing. Probably one we could not pass up. Just don’t feel like it will change our fortunes. Our CBs apart from Romero are not good enough. Let alone GK issues

Just feel we are not shopping for the places we have issues. Doherty and Gil were fine when they played.

Porro is 100% a good signing. Probably one we could not pass up. Just don’t feel like it will change our fortunes. Our CBs apart from Romero are not good enough. Let alone GK issues
Oh I’m 100% on board that we need 2x CB and a GK to really be cooking, but I think the current business still clearly makes us better, IMO ofcourse.

Oh I’m 100% on board that we need 2x CB and a GK to really be cooking, but I think the current business still clearly makes us better, IMO ofcourse.

Would have been nice to see a CB upgrade feels like forever we have been weak there. Romero signing aside.

Looking forward to seeing Porro against City. If he plays of course.

Would have been nice to see a CB upgrade feels like forever we have been weak there. Romero signing aside.

Yes, though need to be realistic about what can be done in January.

I think we've had a better window so far than all of our rivals bar Chelsea, and even with them you have to wonder if they know what they're doing

Maybe the club felt that we'd have to move on too many CBs and thought the summer would be a better time to improve over there. Getting two new starters for CB is a big task that we did not convincingly address this past summer. With every other top team bringing in highly-rated prospects at CB in the past few seasons (especially Chelsea vacuuming up a few of these in recent times), we've been a bit behind the curve with the exception of Romero (although at 24 when we bought him, a bit out of the scope of a prospect). I talk about prospects because we simply don't have the funds to compete with the bottomless-pit clubs, and we need time to develop these prospects before they can be anywhere near the first team.

Looking forward to seeing Porro against City. If he plays of course.
Doubt it, would put money on it being Royal. May come on as sub later on depending on how the game is going.

Defence wasn't so much of an issue last season towards the end of the season when we had Son and Doherty/Royal on form so hopefully the 2 new attacking buys can help us rekindle those sorts of performances

Yes, though need to be realistic about what can be done in January.

I think we've had a better window so far than all of our rivals bar Chelsea, and even with them you have to wonder if they know what they're doing
Arsenal have done good business
Chelsea have done potential good business. Hard to tell as it’s so scatter gun
United havent done much so far but Sabitzer to replace eriksen is smart if that happens
Pool haven’t done anywhere near enough
Brighton .. pass who knows but they buy smart
Saudi Sportswashing Machine haven’t IMO but im sure someone will correct me with the genius that they have brought
I think we have done par. As I expected before January

Maybe the club felt that we'd have to move on too many CBs and thought the summer would be a better time to improve over there. Getting two new starters for CB is a big task that we did not convincingly address this past summer. With every other top team bringing in highly-rated prospects at CB in the past few seasons (especially Chelsea vacuuming up a few of these in recent times), we've been a bit behind the curve with the exception of Romero (although at 24 when we bought him, a bit out of the scope of a prospect). I talk about prospects because we simply don't have the funds to compete with the bottomless-pit clubs, and we need time to develop these prospects before they can be anywhere near the first team.

I'd like to see a big turnover of CBs in the summer. Maybe even 2 in and 4 out. Something like

Keep: Romero, Dier
Sign: Ndicka, Edwards
Sell/end of loan: Sanchez, Tanganga, Davies, Lenglet

With CBs not generally needing rotation, Romero, Ndicka, Dier, Edwards is perhaps akin to our classic Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth

I'd like to see a big turnover of CBs in the summer. Maybe even 2 in and 4 out. Something like

With CBs not generally needing rotation, Romero, Ndicka, Dier, Edwards is perhaps akin to our classic Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth
We need more than 4 CBs if we're still playing a back 3.

I can understand Doc, but Spence and Gil had to go on loan to further their development. They were not going to get any playing time bar the Wrexham/Sheff cup tie, if that.

Like @DubSpur said, would need to keep one more CB, or replace with another. As much as I want Conte to go with 2 CBs, I just don't see it happening. Despite Chelsea signing half the CB prospects, there's still good players out there we can bring in to at least pad the numbers relatively cheaply, but with an eye to the future.

To be honest i did not think we would get any CBs in this window, i know we may have done well over the last two Jan windows but usually there are far better options during the summer. On top of that i believe that on occasions our defenders are wary of what Lloris is doing and lack confidence in front of him.

There is no doubt (imo) that Lloris should be replaced soon and that will (hopefully) make us look more secure. That does not mean i do not think we need to bring in other CBs but as i say i think there will be more choice in the summer.

Back