• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

I still don't think that the next 5 games are going to be enlightening in terms of a player's abilities. I think efforts in the pervious 71 games and the daily training sessions over the past two years should be a decent measure of ability and potential.

Of course, its just an opinion. Maybe Poch is completely undecided and needs the next 5 games as a litmus test. I'd be surprised however.

Als, I've still seen nothing that suggests Pauly is about to morph into a useful player knocking on the first team' door. It would be great if he did and would save as a little of money. Its unlikely that a player who has been uninspiring in 70 odd games will turn his career round in five. I suupose we could pick the conversation up after the Saints game? I'd love to be proved wrong.

For me at least I don't think Paulinho is a poor player. I thought his time was up for us as I thought it looked just about impossible to turn his career around here and for him to fit in in the PL for us.

I'm not looking for an enlightening run of 5 games. But if he can show, as he imo did against Leicester and Saudi Sportswashing Machine that there's fight, determination and a bit of creativity in him and that he's capable of bringing that out in PL games then that would be a sign of him turning his career at Spurs around.

For whatever reason Pochettino has been picking him. It seems to me that it's likely either because he wants to put him in the shop window as it was, or because he sees a player in him, that Paulinho has been performing in training and that he sees him at at least a potential option past the summer and going into next season. What I'm saying is that I think there's a chance it's the second of those. In other words I don't think Pochettino is completely undecided, but I don't think it's unreasonable to give him a chance in the league if he's been doing well in training to see how he copes.

I don't really understand where you're going with this: I'm making the same point. I never suggested he should come out and rationalise every choice he makes to keep fans informed !!??

You're saying he shouldn't be picked because we've already established he's crap?

We don't know why he was picked. Might not have anything to do with seeing if can still be salvaged.

You're saying he shouldn't be picked because we've already established he's crap?

We don't know why he was picked. Might not have anything to do with seeing if can still be salvaged.
Fine. I was just stating, in my opinion, our interests would best be served by picking Dembele. Its just my opinion.

I approached the conversation in terms of giving Paulinho a chance to prove himself in the next five games because that was the context in which the discussion appeared to be unfolding.

EDIT: of course there is a multitude of potemtial reasons Poch might be picking him. One could be he has decided to build our team around him next year. Unlikely, but we aren't party to Poch's thoughts.

Fine. I was just stating, in my opinion, our interests would best be served by picking Dembele. Its just my opinion.

I approached the conversation in terms of giving him a chance to prove himself in the next five games because that was the context in which the discussion appeared to be unfolding.

The future of both players could already be decided, I don't know. I choose to assume he's picking based on what he thinks is the best fit for the team.

He came into the side in place of Mason, he played well and helped our M/F to be a lot tighter/stronger then when Mason was in it.

Now Mason may be first choice next season ( imo I doubt it though) but he did what was asked of him by playing well and I think it would show the wrong example to all our players if he was then dropped.

Surprised nobody mentioned it .. but he actually went into a few tackles hard enough to earn a yellow card (and he did).

Something we haven't seen a lot from him, odd that he's being deployed defensively .. not what I would have picked based on seeing him play previously ...

Surprised nobody mentioned it .. but he actually went into a few tackles hard enough to earn a yellow card (and he did).

Something we haven't seen a lot from him, odd that he's being deployed defensively .. not what I would have picked based on seeing him play previously ...

We did buy him as a defensive box-to-box midfielder, mind you.

This is part of why I'm at least cautiously optimistic that we're seeing actual improvement from Paulinho. He seemed to take a lot more responsibility on the pitch, and like you said, was putting in tackles instead of shirking them as he has in the past.

Could be that he's just putting in an effort to get a good move in the summer, could be that he's actually been improving and working on his problems under Poch.

Wasn't it a Paulinho and Dembele midfield duo that were ranked as 1 of the best CM pair in the prem early on last season? Maybe stick both of them in CM with Bentaleb infront?

Wasn't it a Paulinho and Dembele midfield duo that were ranked as 1 of the best CM pair in the prem early on last season? Maybe stick both of them in CM with Bentaleb infront?

It did look rather promising for sure! They seemed to work well together too. But that was also built on us being very solid defensively as a team, cautious in possession and playing very low scoring games iirc.

The lack of creativity and passing ability from those two started shining through relatively quickly as we failed to nick winning goals.

surprised thread wasnt bumped after his recent decent performances. thought he looked good yesterday when he came on, looks hungry.

if we had this guy for the last few games, we could do a lot worse.

I think we should give him one more year, im just not sure what as, he still pulls out of anything like a 50/50 and you cant have that in CM in the PremierLeague.
He may look better after a rest but it wont give him any more bottle. Not sure he is good enough for front 3 and not sure i trust him in CM when things get tough.

Nah. Coward who I can't wait to see the back of. A couple of half decent recent performances won't make up for the absolute dross he has served up since he joined us, especially just before the world cup.

And actually I thought in his 'good matches' lately he passed responsibility almost every time he had the ball. Maybe I was looking for it but I still saw it.

Not sure who else is playing in China at the moment, but you'd have to imagine he'll be one of the better players in the league over there. I can see him spending a couple of years over there, putting together his pension plan, and then returning to Corinthians in Brazil once he's put away enough to take the necessary pay cut (assuming he's got a half-sensible advisor).

Back