• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Considering his usual poor form im not sure that playing him to keep his value up would have been a smart move tbh

Had a good game yesterday - possibly once for Poch to reconsider in the (hopefully) impending exodus

He is no better than Jake Livermore and almost certainly worse than him 90% of the time. Even yesterday him playing 'well' was a reasonable/average performance and he really needs to be one of the first out the door still. Only issue is there is so many we should bin, I dont know if we will have enough time to do so.

Actually passing the ball? :)

I get that - he even clipped a few nice balls over the top for Kane when he was given time to do so. Yet in breaking up play a few times, taking 3 touches to make a pass when was one was needed, passing the ball mostly sidewards or backwards and not threatening their goal he was basically playing like Dembele on an average day. I agree that Dembele flatters to deceive but on a basic level he can do everything that Paulinho can on a good day and then some.

He had a good game and we looked a lot stronger in CM with him there, he was not my MOM ( I gave it to Jan) but he was not far behind. I hope he stays in the side for the next few games.

He had a good game and we looked a lot stronger in CM with him there, he was not my MOM ( I gave it to Jan) but he was not far behind. I hope he stays in the side for the next few games.
Against a terrible, terrible Saudi Sportswashing Machine side. If he plays against Southampton I'm convinced he'll be his usual hiding, steam rollered self.

I'd have Dembele in there against Saints without a shadow of a doubt.

Against a terrible, terrible Saudi Sportswashing Machine side. If he plays against Southampton I'm convinced he'll be his usual hiding, steam rollered self.

Maybe youre right, who knows. But I think he's earned the right to keep his place for that game nonetheless.

Will be interested to see whether Poch turns back to Mason though....

Maybe you are right , however he did enough yesterday to keep his place in the side.

Would be a good test if nothing else. If he get steam rollered against Southampton that would pretty much be seen as the final nail, right?

Would be a good test if nothing else. If he get steam rollered against Southampton that would pretty much be seen as the final nail, right?
I would hope it would be his final opportunity, however I feel that should already have come and gone really. I think I'm in the minority who feel we still have something to play for. I'd like us to field our strongest team in the final 5 games (whatever that may be - it certainly doesn't include Pauly to my mind) and attempt to secure fifth place.

I can't imgaine that we'll learn anything about any of the fringe players in the final few games that we haven't been able to observe over the past two seasons.

I would hope it would be his final opportunity, however I feel that should already have come and gone really. I think I'm in the minority who feel we still have something to play for. I'd like us to field our strongest team in the final 5 games (whatever that may be - it certainly doesn't include Pauly to my mind) and attempt to secure fifth place.

I can't imgaine that we'll learn anything about any of the fringe players in the final few games that we haven't been able to observe over the past two seasons.

It's not about what WE can learn, but if Poch thinks there is a benefit.

If you're certain he will get steam rollered and he doesn't, was nothing learned?

He's been inconsistent, but put in decent-to-good performances in recent weeks. With Mason struggling for form a bit (imo) I think playing Paulinho was a reasonable decision against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and would be so again against Southampton.

I know you would rather have Dembele than both of them, but there are other issues with Dembele. Picking Paulinho over Dembele at this point also seems reasonable to me.

If you're certain he will get steam rollered and he doesn't, was nothing learned?

He's been inconsistent, but put in decent-to-good performances in recent weeks. With Mason struggling for form a bit (imo) I think playing Paulinho was a reasonable decision against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and would be so again against Southampton.

I know you would rather have Dembele than both of them, but there are other issues with Dembele. Picking Paulinho over Dembele at this point also seems reasonable to me.
I still don't think that the next 5 games are going to be enlightening in terms of a player's abilities. I think efforts in the pervious 71 games and the daily training sessions over the past two years should be a decent measure of ability and potential - and will have informed the trainer team's views on the player's long term suitability.

Of course, its just an opinion. Maybe Poch is completely undecided and needs the next 5 games as a litmus test. I'd be surprised however.

Personally I've still seen nothing that suggests Pauly is about to morph into a useful player knocking on the first team door. It would be great if he did and would save us a lot of money. Its unlikely that a player who has been uninspiring in 70 odd games will turn his career round in five. I suppose we could pick the conversation up after the Saints game? I'd love to be proved wrong.

I obviously meant 'we' in terms of the club; not in terms of glory glory posters.

I still don't think there's much to learn, other than seeing if he can put into action what is worked on at the training ground. Poch will have seen them up close every day for nine or so months now. There could be any number of reasons why he picks the teams he does, we're not privy to that knowledge and won't do much good for him to come out and rationalise every decision he makes just so that the fans can know.

I still don't think there's much to learn, other than seeing if he can put into action what is worked on at the training ground. Poch will have seen them up close every day for nine or so months now. There could be any number of reasons why he picks the teams he does, we're not privy to that knowledge and won't do much good for him to come out and rationalise every decision he makes just so that the fans can know.
I don't really understand where you're going with this: I'm making the same point. I never suggested he should come out and rationalise every choice he makes to keep fans informed !!??

Back