• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Re: Paulinho *OFFICIAL*

We will see, I don't see Holtby as a first choice at the moment and if Dembele's hip is degenerative then it won't just go away, from what I have seen of Paulinho he is an upgrade on Sandro we still need a playmaker IMO, in no way am I being negative because I am more than happy with the way things are going.

It's going to be similar to the Chelsea set up during Mourinho's first time around.

Sandro = Makelele
Dembele = Essien
Paulinho = Lampard

The interesting one is where he'll play Bale. I don't think he'll play him central up front, and I think he'll play him on the right hand side of a front three.

I rather like Paulie as a replacement for Parker/Dembele (he's more box-to-box than Parker and a better goalscorer than Dembele), but if we don't get a genuine playmaker, we're fudged. Seriously, seriously fudged. I might have to stop watching our home games or my blood pressure is going to go through the roof with the amount of cringing I'll be doing at our slow, turgid four-touch passing and random long shots on goal (Bale gets away with this but seriously, everyone else can fudge off and pretty please string together more than 1.5 passes in the final third for once).

Wouldn't expect to see all 3 start together at home against sides we'll be looking to dominate - in these games i can see one or two of Holtby/Carroll/Sigurdsson providing some creativity (if the midfield options were to stay as is)

I rather like Paulie as a replacement for Parker/Dembele (he's more box-to-box than Parker and a better goalscorer than Dembele), but if we don't get a genuine playmaker, we're fudged. Seriously, seriously fudged. I might have to stop watching our home games or my blood pressure is going to go through the roof with the amount of cringing I'll be doing at our slow, turgid four-touch passing and random long shots on goal (Bale gets away with this but seriously, everyone else can fudge off and pretty please string together more than 1.5 passes in the final third for once).

It depends on your definition of playmaker....deep lying or classic no 10 with cute 1 touch passing.......I am going to be optimistic because I believe that siggy & perhaps more so that Holtby will step it up next season. Holtby is the one to watch.

I don't think the playmaker is that essential in that respect.....perhaps more so in the Spanish/Italian leagues but perhaps not the epl. In relation to Parker from what I have seen from Paulie is that he will distribute the ball a lot cuter a lot quicker than parker.....the midfield trio of Chelsea that one the league.....Makele/Essien/Lampard not one was-is a true playmaker although fat frank can certainly pick a pass.

It looks like with a powerful mid three injuries suspensions permitting that plan A will be to 'run over the opposition' plan B probably sees the introduction of Holtby/sig as the creative sparks. I really think our engine room looks amazing. we have a blend of everything at the moment, but yeah a Pjanic could be an option.

I think we will generally run over some teams next year and the hope is we get more points than last season. Its up top where we are short...there isn't much point in having a class midfield if we cant hit the onion sack. Villa would be epic and someone with the movement skills of J Hernandez at man utd is a must. Not that there is much hope of getting Hernandez which is a shame as he is what we need imo and another striker with some physicality.

It's going to be similar to the Chelsea set up during Mourinho's first time around.

Sandro = Makelele
Dembele = Essien
Paulinho = Lampard

The interesting one is where he'll play Bale. I don't think he'll play him central up front, and I think he'll play him on the right hand side of a front three.

I think he'll play him central up front on the left, with Ade on the right.

If that Polo he's wearing comes in White, I'll be purchasing.

65a1da76a8e1f5aba5bc905907275b04.jpeg

Can I ask, do you make any allowance at all for the fact that last season AVB basically dealt with what he had more than what he wanted? The two players he wanted were Moutinho and Willian; he got neither. He made the most of what he had, controversially (for some) sending Townshend out on loan. Personally I thought he was right to do this; Andros is good but not quite responsible/focussed enough for what we needed/need. You speak of 'slow turgid four-touch passing' but let's be honest, losing Sandro did not help our fast and efficient transition play to Bale and Lennon, further it forced us to rely on Parker, who tried his hardest and put in some shifts but just isn't Sandro/that player...he is a four-touch passer by himself! IMO we have to have a little faith in what else the manager and DOF are trying to do, and also what the long-term goal of our squad/style is.

Sandro = Makelele
Dembele = Essien
Paulinho = Lampard

This makes sense but don't you think our three are too similar in style and like to sit deep, I would like to see a passer in there, cannot wait for the season to start.

Nicely put, I suppose it's what I was trying to say.

Can I ask, do you make any allowance at all for the fact that last season AVB basically dealt with what he had more than what he wanted? The two players he wanted were Moutinho and Willian; he got neither. He made the most of what he had, controversially (for some) sending Townshend out on loan. Personally I thought he was right to do this; Andros is good but not quite responsible/focussed enough for what we needed/need. You speak of 'slow turgid four-touch passing' but let's be honest, losing Sandro did not help our fast and efficient transition play to Bale and Lennon, further it forced us to rely on Parker, who tried his hardest and put in some shifts but just isn't Sandro/that player...he is a four-touch passer by himself! IMO we have to have a little faith in what else the manager and DOF are trying to do, and also what the long-term goal of our squad/style is.

Agreed Steff. Any way I believe our lack of breaking down other teams was more down to our lack of a quality striker than a playmaker. I remember plenty of times with Modric where we couldn't break down opponents. I still have faith that we will address this.

Were there any posts in the Paulinho thread on Thursday when he visited the training centre? I don't remember any. If so, it's pretty amazing that the club managed to keep this under wraps. Not so much from GGers, but we get a lot of stuff second hand from other Spurs sites and Sky etc and I don't think anyone reported what was going on.

My money is right side of the front three, have yet to see us linked with someone who can play on the right and imv it is the position/role he fits most

My money is right side of the front three, have yet to see us linked with someone who can play on the right and imv it is the position/role he fits most

And Lennon?

Officially (as in, for the Sky Sports graphics before the match etc) I think Bale will be placed on the left of a front three but you will see the central striker drift out wide to find space at times or to allow a diagonal run into the box. Bale's pretty much bullied Lennon at times into having to go onto the left flank. But it's what I thought we did at times last year and it works well.

I do agree to a point in that towards the end of last season we saw do just that a lot, cut in from the right. But he should be getting freedom to roam where as Lennon is best out on the right, running at the left back. I think if we come up against a weak or wobbly right back (e.g. Zokora ;) ) then Lennon should be moved to the left but more often than not we start with right as his default position then send him over when Bale sniffs blood. But equally, having the likes of Lennon and/or Walker on the right also creates space for Bale on that flank.

^ Lennon to be replaced in the starting eleven - he's a right mid and at a push can play more advanced but is no wing/inside forward and that's the direction i see the team going - a CF supported by two wide forwards. It's all guess work atm though but that is what looks most likely to me - potentially it could be very fluid though making starting positions largely irrelevant

^ Lennon to be replaced in the starting eleven - he's a right mid and at a push can play more advanced but is no wing/inside forward and that's the direction i see the team going - a CF supported by two wide forwards. It's all guess work atm though but that is what looks most likely to me - potentially it could be very fluid though making starting positions largely irrelevant

I agree

And Lennon?

Officially (as in, for the Sky Sports graphics before the match etc) I think Bale will be placed on the left of a front three but you will see the central striker drift out wide to find space at times or to allow a diagonal run into the box. Bale's pretty much bullied Lennon at times into having to go onto the left flank. But it's what I thought we did at times last year and it works well.

I do agree to a point in that towards the end of last season we saw do just that a lot, cut in from the right. But he should be getting freedom to roam where as Lennon is best out on the right, running at the left back. I think if we come up against a weak or wobbly right back (e.g. Zokora ;) ) then Lennon should be moved to the left but more often than not we start with right as his default position then send him over when Bale sniffs blood. But equally, having the likes of Lennon and/or Walker on the right also creates space for Bale on that flank.

Lennon on the left and Bale on the right - they must practice crossing with their weaker foot!

Back