• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Re: Paulinho *OFFICIAL*

Amazing ! We have actually signed a player very early in the transfer window and without dragging our feet on the deal as well ! Hope this means a change in mentality from us when it comes to signing new players.

Didn't know much about Paulinho until we were being linked with him. But he played really well in the Confederation Cup. Hope he will start a good partnership with Sandro and Dembele in midfield. I think he doesn't score too many goals. But it will be great if he can score about 10 goals from midfield for us. We really need to score more goals from midfield.

1 down, 2 to go - in terms of first team signings.

A centre and left-sided forward now please.

1 down, 2 to go - in terms of first team signings.

A centre and left-sided forward now please.

I want us to strengthen our defence as well. We conceded too many silly goals last season. Want us to show more ambition than CL place next season. I think we can fight for league title if we make a few more quality signings.

I want us to strengthen our defence as well. We conceded too many silly goals last season. Want us to show more ambition than CL place next season. I think we can fight for league title if we make a few more quality signings.

Paulinho should strengthen us defensively.

Lloris and Verthongen will have a full season behind them and I'm hoping they will both be even better than last season. Walker will be a year older and a year smarter and hopefully we've seen the end of his most serious dip in form.

Front men must be a priority I think.

I think this signing is a decent indicator for how AVB is looking to shape the squad.

We haven't signed a creative CM such as Pjanic or Banega, we have signed an industrious but technically capable midfielder who is similar to Dembele in this respect. But he seems more of a genuine box-to-box midfielder (from the little I've seen of him) than Dembele, and seems more willing to have a shot/take a risk than the Belgian who I feel was overly cautious around the box at time last season. Having a less risk-averse partner at CM in the coming campaign should help nullify the negative impacts produced by this tendency of Mousa.

However, I think this means we will not see a Pjanic or Banega come in. In terms of creative CMs I think AVB will rather look to keep Huddlestone and maybe improve on him if a good deal can be made. That is, I think we will primarily use 2 industrious CMs (Mous/Paulinho/Holtby/Sig) with either Sandro or a creator as the pivot at DM (Hudd/a new player).

No Pjanic/Banega type player also necessitates that we sign someone with a bit of creativity in the front 3. So IMO it is unlikely we will see a player similar to Bale (2013 Bale) come in (a player who first and foremost contributes goals). Rather we will sign someone like Bernard, a more rounded player who can create along with scoring. If we had signed Pjanic/Banega instead of Paulinho I think we would be more likely to sign another major goal threat for the wing. However, this would leave us very light creatively in the final third and the current trend in football seems to be towards running CM with athletes who can also play football - and we now have a pool of 4 excellent options who offer industry, technical ability and varying levels of physicality. We already have Sig who would be an adequate back-up/ alternative to this new signing while he beds in and throughout the season.

With 2 goalscorers on the wings, a player like Ade would be the ideal foil for them. However, if we succeed in landing a more creative wide player, I think it opens the door to us signing a bigger goal threat up front, sacrificing Ade's movement to the wings/deep (although I think we'll still keep him). Whether we would go as far as signing a poacher like Gomez is uncertain, but having a creative player to provide passes over/through the defence would make a signing such as Villa far more suitable than at present.

So... Villa and Bernard next? Cheekily replace Hudd with Xabi Alonso and we're sorted \o/

Here's Benny's take on the signing:
“I don’t know what he looks like,” Assou-Ekotto told Goal. “I don’t know him, I don’t follow this kind of news.

“It’s like two or three years ago, Rafael van der Vaart was there in training one day. I said hello to him but I didn’t know he was Rafael van der Vaart.

“I don’t understand people who don’t understand me [not showing an interest in football]. Most people don’t go back home with their job and it’s the same for me.”

I think that article exaggerates the counter-attacking benefits of signing Paulinho, we aren't going to be much more more counter-attacking in approach, that was already our style. We will be more suited to playing that way, but it will also give us a bigger threat around the box from CM. Most importantly, Paulinho will almost certainly be better at retaining possession than Bale or Dempsey, so we will be able to probe more confidently around the box and shift it sideways a bit quicker. This will be vital for breaking down deep-lying opponents, rather than hitting them from deep-lying positions ourselves.

The success of this signing may well be dictated by our other acquisitions this summer.

Amazing ! We have actually signed a player very early in the transfer window and without dragging our feet on the deal as well ! Hope this means a change in mentality from us when it comes to signing new players.

Didn't know much about Paulinho until we were being linked with him. But he played really well in the Confederation Cup. Hope he will start a good partnership with Sandro and Dembele in midfield. I think he doesn't score too many goals. But it will be great if he can score about 10 goals from midfield for us. We really need to score more goals from midfield.

It's no different to signing Gylfi on the 4th of July last year. We also signed Vertonghen a week later. We do sign people late, but I don't know why some think it's deliberate.

Paulinho is a major coup for Tottenham; a hustling, bustling, lung-busting midfielder that should signal a change in formation, and approach, for both Spurs and the more culture-conscious Villas-Boas. A team of powerful, athletic players, a fast-breaking, quick-transitioning side well suited to the rigours and intensity of the Premier League. Spurs' gargantuan, physically-imposing new set-up may not be picking open any locks, they'll be blowing doors off their hinges instead.

Really like that last line and very good read over all.

With Huddlestone, Parker and Livermore being big possibilities for an exit our midfield six in the squad will now be:

Sandro, Paulinho, Dembele, Holtby, Sigurdsson, Carrol

That's three powerful players and three potential playmakers. That could could be our central midfielders in the squad complete unless Sigurdsson leaves, if he does I think we should go for some cover for Sandro, someone who can sit, seeing as the other physical players are with him in the staring XI.

First choice midfield 3

______Sandro_______

Paulinho_____Demebele

Second choice midfield 3

_______Holtby________

Carrol_______Sigurdsson

I know that the six above allows us to rotate but if we have the same sought of injuries that we saw last season then with that current six we won't be able to have someone who can just sit like Sandro does.

Either way, it is a huge coup most giving us as solid a spine behind the striker as you'll see anywhere in the League, get the right striker, the right LB and right RW in and we could potentially be challenging for the league this season.

__________Lloris___________

Walker_Kaboul_Vertonghen_BAE

__________Sandro__________

___Paulinho______Demebele___

Bale______Adebayor____Lennon

It's no different to signing Gylfi on the 4th of July last year. We also signed Vertonghen a week later. We do sign people late, but I don't know why some think it's deliberate.

Modric was announced before May was out if I remember correctly.

Either way, it is a huge coup most giving us as solid a spine behind the striker as you'll see anywhere in the League, get the right striker, the right LB and right RW in and we could potentially be challenging for the league this season.

__________Lloris___________

Walker_Kaboul_Vertonghen_BAE

__________Sandro__________

___Paulinho______Demebele___

Bale______Adebayor____Lennon

What is the significance of some players in bold and others like Bale are not?

from his interview he sounds like a down to earth guy; reminds me of BAE when he says he doesn't need football.
Thank GHod for his wife who convinced him to continue.

http://espnfc.com/video/espnfc/video?id=intl:1491968

Agreed. Him fighting his way through some problems early in his career might have made him tougher mentally as well.

This!

What is the significance of some players in bold and others like Bale are not?

Because he was talking about the solid spine behind the striker...

Back