• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Re: Paulinho *OFFICIAL*

Been likened to a Lampard type player

heartbeat of the brazil national team... I think this Brazilian will settle.....

onwards and upwards......Now to concentrate on the forward position.....lets see what transpires.......

Holtby played 120 minutes in the game away to Basel, where we played the entire extra time with 10 men and Holtby alongside young Carroll in central midfield. Holtby essentially never stopped, having been very active in normal time too from what I remember.

I disagree about Dembele too. He did tire in some games, but that's to be expected. He was reportedly carrying an injury at times and he was extremely important to us and started just about every game he could start.

We will see, I don't see Holtby as a first choice at the moment and if Dembele's hip is degenerative then it won't just go away, from what I have seen of Paulinho he is an upgrade on Sandro we still need a playmaker IMO, in no way am I being negative because I am more than happy with the way things are going.

He's a classy player. How Spurs have come on in the last 5 years. His touch, dribbling, finishing, energy and tackling make him an ideal midfield player. That's not to say he won't need to settle in. New culture etc. But we only seem to sign players now with good technique. Long may it continue.

Paulinho seems to be like Moussa Sissoko up at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.....box to box, similar touch/control, both like to score goals, can tackle etc

We will see, I don't see Holtby as a first choice at the moment and if Dembele's hip is degenerative then it won't just go away, from what I have seen of Paulinho he is an upgrade on Sandro we still need a playmaker IMO, in no way am I being negative because I am more than happy with the way things are going.

:-k

Holtby being first choice wasn't really the discussion, was it?

Regardless it will be important to have options, if Holtby is 4th choice for the 3 central spots that will still mean that he will be starting plenty of games.

Paulinho seems to be like Moussa Sissoko up at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.....box to box, similar touch/control, both like to score goals, can tackle etc

Yet one cost nearly £15m more than the other.

i expect to see him in the team from the off (providing he proves himself on the training pitch)

Agreed. He might start the first game or two on the bench if last season is anything to go by, but I expect him to be getting on the pitch at least from the start and to establish himself rather quickly in the starting 11.

Yet one cost nearly £15m more than the other.

due to Sissoko running down his contract and not being in the form that at one time had him rated in the 10-15 mill bracket

Sissoko is a fine player who has similar qualities to Paulinho imo. Right now Paulinho is at the top of his game, but it wasnt too long ago that he was playing in Poland and the Brazilian second division. I believe Sissoko will fulfill his early promise shown at Toulouse. Still only 23, and was a bargain for Saudi Sportswashing Machine

due to Sissoko running down his contract and not being in the form that at one time had him rated in the 10-15 mill bracket

Sissoko is a fine player who has similar qualities to Paulinho imo. Right now Paulinho is at the top of his game, but it wasnt too long ago that he was playing in Poland and the Brazilian second division. I believe Sissoko will fulfill his early promise shown at Toulouse. Still only 23, and was a bargain for Saudi Sportswashing Machine

I also think Sissoko is a fine player who will fulfil his promise - remains to be seen whether he will enjoy Tyneside which is likened to living life in a goldfish bowl......I doubt things are as progressive with Carr-Kinnear-Pardew as opposed to Baldini-AVB-Sherwood....players need a settled background to flourish. Saying that Paulinho could take time to settle but getting him in for the start of pre-season is a smart move.

As a supporter I simply want us to move forwards, to better what we achieved the season before...I believe this signing will go along way to keep us progressing. A few more smart dealings at the top end of the pitch and I will be very pleased.

We need excellent movement up front - great touch - a finisher - someone to run into spaces to keep defenders occupied so Bale can weave his magic. The next signing has to be a forward and I think it will be....Villa could be the stop gap alongside a young progressive player.

this transfer has a purpose a means to adapt to a 4-3-3 which I think is AVB long term aim. Welcome to the club Paulie lets hope its gonna be epic.

I hope he's better than Sissoko, otherwise we've massively overspent.

I rather like Paulie as a replacement for Parker/Dembele (he's more box-to-box than Parker and a better goalscorer than Dembele), but if we don't get a genuine playmaker, we're fudged. Seriously, seriously fudged. I might have to stop watching our home games or my blood pressure is going to go through the roof with the amount of cringing I'll be doing at our slow, turgid four-touch passing and random long shots on goal (Bale gets away with this but seriously, everyone else can fudge off and pretty please string together more than 1.5 passes in the final third for once).

Did we really pay 17m for Paulinho ? That will be the highest fee we have paid for any player so far. Considering the huge transfer fee, I am surprised by the speed we have sealed this deal without dragging our feet. He has not played in any top division outside Brazil and no other clubs were interested for him. Not sure how his club came up with a 17m price tag. I am surprised we didn't try to bring down the fee as we have done in the past. Either we were so desperate to sign him or we must have been trying to sign him for very long time.

I LOVE Sandro, like totally. But I'm quite looking forward to a Dembele/Paulinho/Holtby trio to start the season - if that's the way we go. To me it's more balanced than Sandro/Dembele/Paulinho and still strong enough defensively.

Did we really pay 17m for Paulinho ? That will be the highest fee we have paid for any player so far. Considering the huge transfer fee, I am surprised by the speed we have sealed this deal without dragging our feet. He has not played in any top division outside Brazil and no other clubs were interested for him. Not sure how his club came up with a 17m price tag. I am surprised we didn't try to bring down the fee as we have done in the past. Either we were so desperate to sign him or we must have been trying to sign him for very long time.

That was his buyout clause, they said if you want him, you have to pay it.

Did we really pay 17m for Paulinho ? That will be the highest fee we have paid for any player so far. Considering the huge transfer fee, I am surprised by the speed we have sealed this deal without dragging our feet. He has not played for any top division outside Brazil and no other clubs were interested for him. Not sure how his club came up with a 17m price tag. I am surprised we didn't try to bring down the fee as we have done in the past. Either we were so desperate to sign him or we must have been trying to sign him for very long time.

Was not much more than the Modric transfer and had he played in a top league? the Brazilian league is stronger than that of the Croatian league and also Inter Milan and Real Madrid were apparently interested with Paulinho turning down Inter.

If we had not agreed a fee early on, after his performance in the confederations cup they could quite easily have demanded £25m+.

Edit - I did not realise we had met the buy out clause.

I rather like Paulie as a replacement for Parker/Dembele (he's more box-to-box than Parker and a better goalscorer than Dembele), but if we don't get a genuine playmaker, we're fudged. Seriously, seriously fudged. I might have to stop watching our home games or my blood pressure is going to go through the roof with the amount of cringing I'll be doing at our slow, turgid four-touch passing and random long shots on goal (Bale gets away with this but seriously, everyone else can fudge off and pretty please string together more than 1.5 passes in the final third for once).

Parker out is odds on but Dembele's injury record puts him in the frame for a move too.

How much did we pay for Paulinho?

I share your concern about how we play at home.

Back