• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our strikers next season

Benteke and Bony aren't anywhere near good enough and will be ridiculously overpriced.

Michu has struggled with injured this season, but not shown much when he has played either. Turns 28 in one month.

so who would be on your list if Spurs decide to dispense with Ade and Soldado??

so who would be on your list if Spurs decide to dispense with Ade and Soldado??

Right now I have no idea as I don't watch any league football outside the PL, but a quick look at the scoring charts should at least give me some names to look closer at. Anyone that's played a season in the PL has already doubled or tripled his asking price, regardless of performance, and of those three Michu is the only one I would even consider.

Right now I have no idea as I don't watch any league football outside the PL, but a quick look at the scoring charts should at least give me some names to look closer at. Anyone that's played a season in the PL has already doubled or tripled his asking price, regardless of performance, and of those three Michu is the only one I would even consider.

ah i see, maybe thats what baldini did when he saw Soldado top of the La Liga charts and it was enough to spend 26 mill on him

What does that add up to for Benteke? Not crap, not great? 23 years old, waiting to see if he pushes through the last barrier or not?

Not saying I wouldn't want him, but he's not at the top of my wishlist. He's also been playing for a team playing a very different style from us, I think his height and physicality would have helped us (as it has from Ade), but he would still have some adjustment to do.

I know he'll be 28 in the summer, Benteke probably has more potential, but for me I would be more excited about Michu. Looks more impressive even when he's not scoring, more complete, can play more roles. Hasn't claimed to want to sign for us only to sign a new contract the next week. I think there's a very good chance Laudrup would still have his job if Michu hadn't gotten injured.

It adds up we don't have the clout to get the really best strikers but we can also do potentially find better than what we have. Now I'm not saying Benteke is a sure thing but he's still got the potential to be a very good player. It's not like he's just a big lump who can't play, his finishing is still raw but Adebayor isn't the most accomplished finisher either. Physically Benteke is superior, both are skillful, Benteke has better feet IMO and is better in the air, plus we all know fully well that despite Adebayor's moments of brilliance, he's hardly the most reliable character in the world is he?

It would be a gamble but so was Soldado.

My three for next season: Ade, Soldado and Lamela.

Kane and Coulthirst etc as back up. Eriksen could also play in an extremely advanced role.

Paramount for next season is a ball playing midfielder and a left back.

Not concerned about the forwards in general.

EDIT: If we somehow blag CL I wanna see a massive bid for Schweinsteiger. It might not be unrealistic either.

Kane and Coulthirst etc as back up. Eriksen could also play in an extremely advanced role.

EDIT: If we somehow blag CL I wanna see a massive bid for Schweinsteiger. It might not be unrealistic either.

I do wonder if 'the English Tevez' might come into the frame a bit more next season.

It adds up we don't have the clout to get the really best strikers but we can also do potentially find better than what we have. Now I'm not saying Benteke is a sure thing but he's still got the potential to be a very good player. It's not like he's just a big lump who can't play, his finishing is still raw but Adebayor isn't the most accomplished finisher either. Physically Benteke is superior, both are skillful, Benteke has better feet IMO and is better in the air, plus we all know fully well that despite Adebayor's moments of brilliance, he's hardly the most reliable character in the world is he?

It would be a gamble but so was Soldado.

So is any signing essentially...

If anything Benteke's form this season shows that even if a player is proven in the Premiership that doesn't make them a sure thing. I'm sure if we had signed Benteke this summer and he had scored at a similar rate to his Villa scoring rate this season some people would have blamed our manager for ruining a fantastic player or some such nonsense.

Could you provide some reasoning behind this? I don't follow the Bundesliga much these days, but I thought he was their vice-captain. Why would he leave Bayern for us? And why would bigger teams stay out of our way?

So is any signing essentially...

If anything Benteke's form this season shows that even if a player is proven in the Premiership that doesn't make them a sure thing. I'm sure if we had signed Benteke this summer and he had scored at a similar rate to his Villa scoring rate this season some people would have blamed our manager for ruining a fantastic player or some such nonsense.

The whole 'premiership proven' is just nonsense. Torres's move to Chelsea shows how any player can flop when moving to a new environment.

The whole 'premiership proven' is just nonsense. Torres's move to Chelsea shows how any player can flop when moving to a new environment.

It's not complete nonsense. There's truth there, players from the PL are likely to adjust quicker I think.

My point is more that there are no guarantees and that a single high scoring season in the Premier League doesn't differentiate the one season wonders from the quality players.

It's not complete nonsense. There's truth there, players from the PL are likely to adjust quicker I think.

My point is more that there are no guarantees and that a single high scoring season in the Premier League doesn't differentiate the one season wonders from the quality players.

Like Pienaar and Bentley?

:~

This is a bit of a straw man argument. Nobody is saying that all players bought from the PL will settle in immediately or that all those brought in from abroad will take months or years to settle in. There will be players from the former group who take a while/ never settle in and there will be players from the second group who settle in immediately.

I'm not really sure how people can deny though that on average, players bought from other PL teams tend to settle in quicker than players from other leagues. They're already settled in the country, already have a place here, their wife and kids are here, they can speak the language, they're used to the weather, the playing style of the league, the refereeing. That doesn't mean a player from a smaller club for example might not adapt to the greater level of pressure or to the new tactics.

I could find you examples in poker where going all in pre flop with a 2-7 unsuited would win you the pot or where doing so with pocket aces would lose you it but that doesn't mean that every time you would do that, the same result would occur.

"Likely to adjust quicker" - does not equal "will happen every time".

Obviously both players from abroad and from the PL will sometimes need time and will sometimes be found out and either not good enough or not suitable to the new team.

It's a question of frequency and degree, a couple of examples in the other direction is irrelevant.

Could you provide some reasoning behind this? I don't follow the Bundesliga much these days, but I thought he was their vice-captain. Why would he leave Bayern for us? And why would bigger teams stay out of our way?

Yeah. He's approaching 30, been injured practically all season and his place in the team is seriously under threat. I talked to him often in the summer and he follows the premier league and is well aware of tottenham; said it was a ground he'd love to play at and he heard good things from people like klinsmann.

it was about the time when the man utd rumours were circulating. I asked him about them and he said him and his missus wouldn't move to manchester.

he is vice captain and a bit of a club legend, but i think next summer might be the time for all parties to go separate ways: he certainly won't want the indignity of being a bit part player.

If we went big on the transfer fee i think bayern would accept the offer, and having spoken to him i get the feeling that he'd be interested in the premier league and in london particularly. we spoke quite a lot about atmospheres at different grounds, rivalries with chelsea, arsenal and west ham etc. so if we were equally prepared to go big on wages i think we'd definitely have a chance. dependant on cl football of course.

speaking to him and his missus, whose getting a fledgling modelling career on the go, i think that the city the club is based in would play a crucial role. london could be key.

Its nothing more than a hunch, but i think it could be a goer.

:~

This is a bit of a straw man argument. Nobody is saying that all players bought from the PL will settle in immediately or that all those brought in from abroad will take months or years to settle in. There will be players from the former group who take a while/ never settle in and there will be players from the second group who settle in immediately.

I'm not really sure how people can deny though that on average, players bought from other PL teams tend to settle in quicker than players from other leagues. They're already settled in the country, already have a place here, their wife and kids are here, they can speak the language, they're used to the weather, the playing style of the league, the refereeing. That doesn't mean a player from a smaller club for example might not adapt to the greater level of pressure or to the new tactics.

I could find you examples in poker where going all in pre flop with a 2-7 unsuited would win you the pot or where doing so with pocket aces would lose you it but that doesn't mean that every time you would do that, the same result would occur.

I never had you down as a poker player mate, nice one.

I never had you down as a poker player mate, nice one.

Yeah I love it mate. Love a bit of chess as well tbh, these kinds of games where you're using your mind to outwit your opponent.

It is probably why Boxing was always my favourite sport to play and one of my favourite to watch as well, a huge mental element there too.

Yeah. He's approaching 30, been injured practically all season and his place in the team is seriously under threat. I talked to him often in the summer and he follows the premier league and is well aware of tottenham; said it was a ground he'd love to play at and he heard good things from people like klinsmann.

it was about the time when the man utd rumours were circulating. I asked him about them and he said him and his missus wouldn't move to manchester.

he is vice captain and a bit of a club legend, but i think next summer might be the time for all parties to go separate ways: he certainly won't want the indignity of being a bit part player.

If we went big on the transfer fee i think bayern would accept the offer, and having spoken to him i get the feeling that he'd be interested in the premier league and in london particularly. we spoke quite a lot about atmospheres at different grounds, rivalries with chelsea, arsenal and west ham etc. so if we were equally prepared to go big on wages i think we'd definitely have a chance. dependant on cl football of course.

speaking to him and his missus, whose getting a fledgling modelling career on the go, i think that the city the club is based in would play a crucial role. london could be key.

Its nothing more than a hunch, but i think it could be a goer.

Interesting, cheers for sharing mate. You don't think Pep rates him then, or? If he's just been out injured it's at least somewhat likely that he'll win his place back?

I would be delighted if we signed him, I think he's truly top class in his position. But I think bigger clubs with more money will have their agents and men lining up around the corner if he becomes available for any fee we would consider reasonable. Even if he wouldn't move to Manchester that still leaves Chelsea, Arsenal, PSG, Monaco, Real, Barca... None of those places outright bad places for an up and coming model either I would think.

Back