• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our strikers next season

He's hit a grand total of.........

6 goals in 29 league appearances so far (and 4 of those were pens). Is that the most pathetic return of 26m we've ever seen in football?

Yes well last season was bad for everyone in one sense or another, hardly anyone came out of it with much credit. Clean slate for him and everyone else this season IMO....

Yes well last season was bad for everyone in one sense or another, hardly anyone came out of it with much credit. Clean slate for him and everyone else this season IMO....

and what happens when he fails again this season? maybe we'll say it's Poch's first season so that's why Soldado couldn't score enough as he's getting used to the tactics.

and what happens when he fails again this season? maybe we'll say it's Poch's first season so that's why Soldado couldn't score enough as he's getting used to the tactics.

I can only speak for myself but if he doesn't show a better return this season then for sure send him back to Spain. It takes a season to adapt to PL, hardly unheard of for a player to perform a lot better after their debut season - I think a proven goalscorer such as him deserves the opportunity to show he can cut it in this league....

I'm trying to stay away from the whole Soldado conversation

Soldado/Ade seems to be the new Defoe/Keane on this board, if you say anything positive about one, must mean you think the other is ****, one cannot succeed without the other failing ..

BOTH have the technical ability to be 15-20+ goal a season strikers, and I personally would love a Keane/Berbatov year out of them. From a club perspective, it seems like a little bit of a gamble that any injuries exposes pretty badly.

Soldado...it takes a season to adapt to PL.

Thats a common assertion in here, particularly as it pertains to many of our new signings it seems. If its true, however, then why are so many 'season long loan deals' transacted between clubs these days? Surely the receiving clubs in such deals are not putting that much weight in 'take time settling in/adapt/adjust/new coach/new system/new country/new league, new language, new housing, no relatives, new teammates, speed and pace of play, less room/space to play in, new formation, new surroundings' etc? Just as an example, when Chelsea signed Eto last year on a season long loan (and he had never played in PL before), regardless of how well he actually did, do you think a 'season-long adaption' is what they had in mind when they signed him?

Last edited:
I like Costa, but just to watch him playing for another team as he is mad as a bag of cats. I wouldn't like him playing for Spurs. Also I have a nagging suspicion that he's having the 'season in a lifetime' and might drop off to a lower level of performance next year. Just a gut feeling but that's the way I see it happening.

:lol::lol:

I really like our 3 CFs - I think they are all capable and a nice complementary mix.

For me the role for Soldado is going be against the bus parkers. His movement and ability to find space in crowded areas is unparalleled. With the two Eriks and a revitalised Chadli, I think he's going to get more of the service he thrives off (compared to sitting in front of Lennon and Townsend).

I think Rodriguez adding pace and goals from LWF is the only thing missing from our attacking set-up.

Personally I think rodriquez is over-rated, certainly over-valued. However in terms of this thread, I agree that our CFs are complementary. I also think we have higher priorities for funds in the next couple windows rather than CF, namely:
- a CM who can pass the ball - this is urgent!!
- a new CB (I cant see Kaboul or Chiriches being what we need)
- a 'LWF' to play alongside Eriksen and Lamela

thats potentially the best part of £50m of deals and only after that I think is CF a priority

I'm trying to stay away from the whole Soldado conversation

Soldado/Ade seems to be the new Defoe/Keane on this board, if you say anything positive about one, must mean you think the other is ****, one cannot succeed without the other failing ..

BOTH have the technical ability to be 15-20+ goal a season strikers, and I personally would love a Keane/Berbatov year out of them. From a club perspective, it seems like a little bit of a gamble that any injuries exposes pretty badly.

The difference is that one of them is consistently ****, the other is inconsistently ****.

I'm hoping Kane gets the Europa and the early cup rounds, that should reduce the workload for ade and soldado.

I can only speak for myself but if he doesn't show a better return this season then for sure send him back to Spain. It takes a season to adapt to PL, hardly unheard of for a player to perform a lot better after their debut season - I think a proven goalscorer such as him deserves the opportunity to show he can cut it in this league....

I think that's the general opinion most have - As has been repeated a million times, last season with all the chopping and changing on and off the field it was hardly the best introduction to a new league - most people hope he (and our other signings) can improve in what hopefully will be a more settled enviroment - maybe he will, maybe he won't - but for the love of GHod can we at least let him get on with it?

Thats a common assertion in here, particularly as it pertains to many of our new signings it seems. If its true, however, then why are so many 'season long loan deals' transacted between clubs these days? Surely the receiving clubs in such deals are not putting that much weight in 'take time settling in/adapt/adjust/new coach/new system/new country/new league, new language' etc? Just as an example, when Chelsea signed Eto last year on a season long loan (and he had never played in PL before), regardless of how well he actually did, do you think a 'season-long adaption' is what they had in mind when they signed him?

It's a valid question and one I don't think can be answered. Some do hit the ground running, others don't...like you alluded to with etoo a lot of loans aren't successful. I'm not making excuses for Soldado, sometimes you need a season to adapt both I. Your personal life and on the pitch. Sometimes you're just not cut out for this league, I just want to give him this season to find out...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I reckon if Roberto Soldado was called Robert Smith, had cost £2.6 million and been signed from Villa instead of Valencia then pretty much everybody on here would be saying that he was a useless waste of money and we might as well release him.

I think a lot of people have been blinded by the £26 million fee and just refuse to believe that we could've paid £26 million for such a limited player.

I was prepared to give Soldado the benefit of the doubt while we were being managed by AVB - as his tactics were so poor and didn't result in us creating enough good chances, but when Soldado got no better (and perhaps even worse) after Sherwood came in and got us moving it forward more quickly I thought it was clear that he just isn't good enough to play up top in the Premiership. The fact that Harry Kane came in and instantly looked far better than Soldado just confirmed it.

Now we have failed to sell him this Summer I fear we will be stuck with him for the length of his contract and have to pay his (not doubt considerable) wage for the next few years and then release him on a free at the end of his contract.

im not sure how much he played under Sherwood - seemed to be Adebayor for the majority of his time. remember him scoring an actual real goal in one game and playing rather well only to find himself then benched for the next few

Personally I think rodriquez is over-rated, certainly over-valued. However in terms of this thread, I agree that our CFs are complementary. I also think we have higher priorities for funds in the next couple windows rather than CF, namely:
- a CM who can pass the ball - this is urgent!!
- a new CB (I cant see Kaboul or Chiriches being what we need)
- a 'LWF' to play alongside Eriksen and Lamela

thats potentially the best part of £50m of deals and only after that I think is CF a priority

Agree with that. Next window or two is pretty much just about going back in for Schneiderlin, Musacchio/Moreno and Rodriguez, or equivalents.

I think that's the general opinion most have - As has been repeated a million times, last season with all the chopping and changing on and off the field it was hardly the best introduction to a new league - most people hope he (and our other signings) can improve in what hopefully will be a more settled enviroment - maybe he will, maybe he won't - but for the love of GHod can we at least let him get on with it?

I agree about giving him time.

The problem, or perhaps just situation, right now for him is that he seems behind both Ade and Kane in the line for that single striker spot. This perhaps at least partly because he's seemingly not the type of striker Poch prefers.

It's a real uphill battle from that to nailing down a starting spot. Not saying it's impossible, but it will be very difficult. So although I do think he deserves a chance, and although I do think he's a lot better than he showed last season, I'm not very hopeful that he will show a completely different side this season.

in 2010/11 Jermain Defoe score 4 goals in 22 games. He turned it around, and ht double figures in each of the next two seasons.

But Soldado is awful.

Poch is clearly satisfied with what we have. There have been no signings in this position and the transfer rumours were all weak. The closest we came was hesitant interest in Rodriguez and he is still a number of weeks off fitness.

Soldado will get his chances I think, mainly Europa and possibly subs in the PL. Up to him to take the chances. Otherwise either Kane or Ade, with goals expected from Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela.

Back