• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT ××××× TOTTENHAM HOTSPURS VS Villa ×××××××

It would be so Spurs to get relegated and win the Europa to get a place in the Champions League.

Just saying......

Sheff United could win the League cup and get relegated to League Two.

Then next season they could win the Europa and get relegated to Vanarama conference

Then season after that they are playing in Champions League and Vanarama North

(I would loooool but know that would probably happen in the season spurs finished 5th and Cheatski won the CL again)

Why do I keep reading about relegation? It's going to take quite an implosion just to finish outside the top half.

I agree. I still think that we will finish between 5th and 7th which is what I would have said at the beginning of the season.

I'd play Kane in that #10 ahead of Eriksen right now. Christian simply cannot take games by the scruff like his talent demands. I think he can really, really benefit from taking a break and getting some extra training/readjustment, because right now, he simply seems prepared to show up and rely on his natural ability.

Lamela off the left, Chadli off the right, Kane in the 10, Nobby up-top. Nobby played well today for me. Mason was excellent. Capoue was poor, Younes and Verts less than solid...

Not singling you out for this as I mentioned it in another thread, but why should we drop our best attacking player and second highest scorer just because he can't dominate games like Modric used to? There's a simple reason he can't, because he isn't as good as him and probably never will be.

I do not understand why Lamela gets more slack when he has a bad game or gets brushed off the ball and does 50 stepovers but delivers very little. He still hasn't looked like scoring a league goal for Spurs. Even when Eriksen has a quiet game, he still creates openings and looks more threatening than most.

Not singling you out for this as I mentioned it in another thread, but why should we drop our best attacking player and second highest scorer just because he can't dominate games like Modric used to? There's a simple reason he can't, because he isn't as good as him and probably never will be.

I do not understand why Lamela gets more slack when he has a bad game or gets brushed off the ball and does 50 stepovers but delivers very little. He still hasn't looked like scoring a league goal for Spurs. Even when Eriksen has a quiet game, he still creates openings and looks more threatening than most.

I don't think Modric was the type of player who picked games up by the scruff of the neck but that's for another thread. Not sure why Eriksen has suffered a loss of form, but seeing as he is our most creative player I agree he must play.

I agree it sounds bizarre, and I am not wholly convinced BUT perhaps he really feels he can take the Europa this season? It would be the CL and let's face it, we are not finishing top 4 this season as he has too much to do long-term, but maybe he feels short-term? Could explain Lloris starting? Who knows.

Yes I agree, but it would be frankly crazy for him to put all his eggs in the Europa basket. The odds are so stacked against it with the amount of game you have to play to win it and all the champions league drop outs to contend with. Also, in the past lots of teams were less then serious about the competition but now, in the latter stages any team not guaranteed champions league the following season is going to see the Europa as their route into it.

Basically, this years Europa league is going to be much harder to win then any year in the past................and we have'nt even come close to winning it in the past. A cup run would be nice but the odds on us winning it are truely minimal.

10665413_396943087135138_1315751151_n.jpg

[tweet]528991968622559232[/tweet]

Oh so close, another few yards to the right and we'd have been on that photo!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hugo loves it. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/THFC?src=hash">#THFC</a> <a href="http://t.co/7zWkpsFMfw">http://t.co/7zWkpsFMfw</a></p>&mdash; Addicted to Spurs (@AddictedtoSpurs) <a href="https://twitter.com/AddictedtoSpurs/status/529018519019876352">November 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

while its great to get a win, that was a desperately poor performance against a relegation contender. I really hope we don't have a papering over the cracks situation here, there are so many deficiencies in our squad, the best positive that comes out of this apart from the 3 points is us haranguing the ref to get benteke sent off, its what other teams do and its nice to see us stand tough and fight for any break we can get, I think we will do well this season to finish top 10

Lamella hasn't had one solid league game for us yet and eriksen has had plenty

For me eriksen is always the one who shows for the ball and creates something

Lamella came on today and was invisible until he was involved in the sending off. He has a bloody long way to go to be ahead of eriksen IMO. What i would say is I love Lamellas work rate as he keeps plugging away even when he looks poor but the lad may have the tools but he has no idea how to use them

im sure you mean : which POCH, if he is so good at coaching, should be able to mould into his way of thinking

because it is very early days for him atm

Early days for POCH? You know he is working for Levy?
Judging by the relief and reaction of Baldinin, POCH and the coaching staff afterwards as shown on Sky, I think they realise they dodged a bullet today.

The formulaic rotation; persistence with players not performing at the expense of those who are; the poor decisions to let go of players with the intensity and energy to apply the high pressing game and his beloved effing inverted wingers means that he does not have much time, especially if we direct our ire where it belongs: towards Teflon and his DoF mismanagement.

Fair points.
We could also play him in his best position or second best position off the striker, instead of giving him enough rope to hang himself.
He doesn't seem to be inclined to press but pre-season he, Lamela and Lennon seemed to have the energy and understanding of when and how to press as a unit.
Not sure what went wrong.

I don't really understand what you're saying, my post was in response to the suggestion from you that Poch has failed to mold the players in to his way of thinking

I don't really understand what you're saying, my post was in response to the suggestion from you that Poch has failed to mold the players in to his way of thinking

I interpreted your comment that 'it is early days for him atm' as Levy will give him time to mould the players. My view is that Levy is not likely to.

First off, no worries at all mate, it's an absolutely valid response to my post and I would never have taken it in ay other way. Appreciate the validation though...

I can only express a personal opinion in counter-point.

Until Eriksen can be more of presence on the game or in it, Lamela should be given full charge of playmaking.

I look at Eriksen and see him as someone with the potential of a younger Pirlo combined with some David Silva. He has never been a Modric type for me, alas...if he was, this would not bean issue at all!!!! At the moment he registers slightly higher than Stephane Dalmat; a wonderful talent who is currently far too enigmatic , seems easily brushed out/forced out of a game and could end up at a Villa.

Essentially, it is currently a straight fight between Kane and Eriksen for the 10 spot. Kane is Teddy-esque. I think he is currently able to move in concert with Lamela and Soldado better than Eriksen, who appears too often to get into the same congestion areas as Lamela.

The only other way around it would be to play Eriksen off the right and bank on Kane having the positional intelligence to make sure that Lamela and Eriksen are working in different 'inside' areas of the pitch whilst allowing Harry to drop off and thread through balls to Soldado/trade-off with any one of those three. But I am loathe to drop Chadli as he is getting on the end of things, scoring and again, knows where to move in this system.

I find Lamela's step-over stuff tedious too, and pray for him to be more direct, swift even. To my eyes, this happens when he is not playing with Eriksen. I have hopes that down the line the manager can find a way to make them work together (a lot will depend on whether he replaces Capoue and gets a fit Walker again) but right here, right now, I'd keep Eriksen on the bench. It might make him step up??

In short, when I look at Eriksen, I see a player who provides some niceties but is generally average-to-OK. When I look at Lamela, I see a player who has something special which just needs a little more time and a little more space.

Anyway, we shall see, and again, it's a tough issue for sure.

Second highest scorer with 3 goals and 0 assists so far, hardly earth shattering. By comparison Lamela has 0 goals, but 4 assists.

I'm not expecting him to dominate games like Modric did, he's playing a different role, different position and is still younger than Modric was when he was running our midfield.

Again it gets mentioned that Lamela gets brushed off the ball, since the comparison is being made with Eriksen who do you think is stronger physically/on the ball?

Second highest scorer with 3 goals and 0 assists so far, hardly earth shattering. By comparison Lamela has 0 goals, but 4 assists.

I'm not expecting him to dominate games like Modric did, he's playing a different role, different position and is still younger than Modric was when he was running our midfield.

Again it gets mentioned that Lamela gets brushed off the ball, since the comparison is being made with Eriksen who do you think is stronger physically/on the ball?

It sounds better than 0 goals though doesn't it?

When it comes to their physical strength, or lack of it, it's pretty close, both of them need to toughen, but I feel Lamela gets more slack than Eriksen does because a lot of people are desperate for him to to start looking the £30m player we paid for. Every time Eriksen has a so so game there are calls to drop him. I really don't see why dropping our best player should be entertained unless he's having a really bad time, but he isn't. Let's face it, none of our players are pulling up any trees except Lloris and Kane. If anything, Eriksen has been one of the better players this season, granted that isn't saying much, but he certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped. Lamela can be on the periphery of games just like Eriksen can but he's a more skillful player so I guess people just notice him more.

It sounds better than 0 goals though doesn't it?

When it comes to their physical strength, or lack of it, it's pretty close, both of them need to toughen, but I feel Lamela gets more slack than Eriksen does because a lot of people are desperate for him to to start looking the £30m player we paid for. Every time Eriksen has a so so game there are calls to drop him. I really don't see why dropping our best player should be entertained unless he's having a really bad time, but he isn't. Let's face it, none of our players are pulling up any trees except Lloris and Kane. If anything, Eriksen has been one of the better players this season, granted that isn't saying much, but he certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped. Lamela can be on the periphery of games just like Eriksen can but he's a more skillful player so I guess people just notice him more.

And 4 assists sounds a lot better than 0 assists from our "best player" (and primary set piece taker to boot). He was excellent at times last season and in deed our best player, but this season has been far from that, starting with pre-season, extending into the season and even into his performances from the national team going by reports. I think he's a very talented player, one I'm delighted to have at Spurs and someone who will be very important for us in years to come. But he's also just a 22 year old in his second Premie League season. Unlike Lamela he's gotten plenty of game time both of his seasons so far. I don't think it would be terrible if he started a couple of games on the bench when not in his best form. More or less a blanket statement for young players I think.

Oh and there's been plenty of calls for Lamela to be dropped, and sold...

Disagree about strength. I think Lamela would outmuscle Eriksen just about every time in a 50/50 and I think both are about strong enough although being stronger obviously wouldn't hurt them (unless it came at the expense of other qualities, something it often does)

Back