• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**OMT Tottenham vs Everton**

I was terrified before every match in the 90's, always fearing when the next complete brickshow would hit and give us a hammering. It was lurking around every corner. Thankfully those days are long gone!

Martin Jol’s reign was the first time since I started supporting the club in the mid 80s where I could be fairly confident we’d win most of those games we were expected to. Before that, even under Venables, we could beat anyone (except the big teams away) and lose to anyone.

Martin Jol’s reign was the first time since I started supporting the club in the mid 80s where I could be fairly confident we’d win most of those games we were expected to. Before that, even under Venables, we could beat anyone (except the big teams away) and lose to anyone.
Martin Jols part in where we are now as a club is under appreciated imho, even by some Spurs fans.

He was key for where we are now, where he took that ramshackle bunch made me believe again like you, then the euro tour for first time in forever (ignoring losing to Kaiserslautern in 00/01)

To be fair to man in a raincoat, I don’t remember much Sp ur sy during his reign.

After the false dawn of Santini, Jol was the one who pulled this club out of 15-20 years of mediocrity. He also got what this club means. He is one of us.

Still love the big man and will always appreciate him for what he did for us.
I've played tennis with the big man a few times.... Good tennis player, especially if he doesn't have to run. He is a real gentleman as well as being seminal in our rise back to prominence.

Last edited:
suprised you didn't notice the impact of the formation change after richy went off. well it was huge to me.
given a better team we would have been punished in the first half. maybe we have different expectations and I adjust mine according to the opponents. we shouldn't be giving a team like everton a sniff at goal.

despite the win and much higher possession in the 2nd half though - our duels and interceptions rate wasn't great. better teams would capitalize turnovers much better than everton can. (aerials won shows how good their defenders were in repelling all the crosses we threw at them).
View attachment 14630
Given a better team we would have been punished in the first half? What's that even supposed to mean? The bottom line is that they managed 4 shots the entire game and 0 in the second half. And we created enough chances to score at least a couple of goals. Just because we weren't flashy doing it, doesn't mean we weren't by far the better team and deserving of the win. When we play better teams we can evaluate those games then, but yesterday we played Everton.

Given a better team we would have been punished in the first half? What's that even supposed to mean? The bottom line is that they managed 4 shots the entire game and 0 in the second half. And we created enough chances to score at least a couple of goals. Just because we weren't flashy doing it, doesn't mean we weren't by far the better team and deserving of the win. When we play better teams we can evaluate those games then, but yesterday we played Everton.
Additionally both of Everton's chances in the first half came from poor play from an individual in our team as opposed to problems with the shape. The first chance, I have no idea what Bentancur was doing not just getting goal side immediately and the second chance Hojbjerg and (I think) Romero got a bit mixed up with Hojbjerg basically heading it through to Onana (who I was very impressed with and think will become a real top class PL centre midfield player).

The comment against a better team is so misleading
We play the team we play. Every game is different
I people saying Chelsea dominated game against us, which they did. But they didn’t win a a to get that domination they played with NO striker and an extra man in midfield. It cost them rather than helped them
We played Everton who can set up to not lose. Hence why we pushed on more. Would we do that against a better team and also allow for the complacency in those errors.. I don’t think so
Every game and every team is different

Additionally both of Everton's chances in the first half came from poor play from an individual in our team as opposed to problems with the shape. The first chance, I have no idea what Bentancur was doing not just getting goal side immediately and the second chance Hojbjerg and (I think) Romero got a bit mixed up with Hojbjerg basically heading it through to Onana (who I was very impressed with and think will become a real top class PL centre midfield player).

Gray will out run most players in the league in that position and I'm not sure if that happened after Bentancour had been booked otherwise he may have bought him down.

Gray will out run most players in the league in that position and I'm not sure if that happened after Bentancour had been booked otherwise he may have bought him down.
If he had brought him down then he may have got a straight red as last man. The problem wasn't that he got outrun, it was that he didn't immediately get goalside. Would've been very difficult then for Gray to get beyond him

Why do they always put (+ 1 penalty) instead of just adding on the XG of a penalty (which I think is between 0.75 and 0.8)?

It makes sense to me that they keep penalties seperate from the rest of the chances throughout the game as it can skew the impression given, especially if you've not watched the game

It’s odd, I’m assuming other FK’s are lumped in, it’s not solely open play chances.

free kicks probably have a 0.01 or lower xg so not the same, though i wouldn't be against them being kept seperate also

If he had brought him down then he may have got a straight red as last man. The problem wasn't that he got outrun, it was that he didn't immediately get goalside. Would've been very difficult then for Gray to get beyond him
Exactly
Was very odd play
You ain’t gonna out run, so check him and make him go wider

Back