• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**OMT Tottenham vs Everton**

It makes sense to me that they keep penalties seperate from the rest of the chances throughout the game as it can skew the impression given, especially if you've not watched the game

free kicks probably have a 0.01 or lower xg so not the same, though i wouldn't be against them being kept seperate also

true, I’d like a breakdown, total xG of everything, then that which was due to set pieces

Why do they always put (+ 1 penalty) instead of just adding on the XG of a penalty (which I think is between 0.75 and 0.8)?
Caley does this, which I think is the right way to do it. Pens have an xG of 0.78 so a team that wins two penalties and does nothing else would have an xG of 1.56. If the opposing team had an xG of 1.60, you would think it was a pretty even game chancewise, but that would not really be the case. So keeping pens separate is a more accurate reflection of the game. Some sites also give you open play and set piece xG, so you can drill down further on how a team created its chances. It's nice to have this granularity, as it can help you determine which team was more deserving, even if you didn't watch the game.

Of course xG alone does not the whole picture tell. You have to look at it in combination with other stats. E.g. team A has an xG of 0.90 on one shot and team B an xG of 0.95 on 6 shots. Well, this basically means that team B created a few really good chances, whereas team A might have done absolutely nothing and scored from a terrible keeper mistake that resulted in a tap in from 1 meter. Looking at just xG you would think the teams were evenly matched, although that may not have been the case.

He does barge him but there is no way he can jockey him, there is 10 yards of space either side of him and 20 yards in front, it's a foot race with only one winner.

Given a better team we would have been punished in the first half? What's that even supposed to mean? The bottom line is that they managed 4 shots the entire game and 0 in the second half. And we created enough chances to score at least a couple of goals. Just because we weren't flashy doing it, doesn't mean we weren't by far the better team and deserving of the win. When we play better teams we can evaluate those games then, but yesterday we played Everton.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...m-v-everton-premier-league-live-score-updates

upload_2022-10-17_23-3-9.png

Richy went off, formation changed, then everything went our way...

upload_2022-10-17_23-4-53.png

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...m-v-everton-premier-league-live-score-updates

this is the game i saw

Yeah, it's the game we both saw. I was not responding to whether the change in formation resulted in us playing better. I was responding to your initial post that said we were marginally better in the second half. We weren't; we were miles better compared to our first half performance and miles better than Everton.

I think the current narrative on us is really lazy and lacks context TBH. We are managing a block of matches. We cannot each game like it is the only one, we have to control games and manage time to minimize injuries. The current system works. That is beyond opinion, it is a fact because it is working.

As for the formation switch, we are lucky Bissouma seems to be more in sync with what we do. It isn't as 'easy' as some make it out to be, and his learning curve was vital to the performance and second goal. Before Saturday, he had not shown that awareness.

I am happy Conte is talking up 3-4-3 with Perisic on Wed, as it is important that the oppo do not know what we will do on Wed.

I think the current narrative on us is really lazy and lacks context TBH. We are managing a block of matches. We cannot each game like it is the only one, we have to control games and manage time to minimize injuries. The current system works. That is beyond opinion, it is a fact because it is working.

As for the formation switch, we are lucky Bissouma seems to be more in sync with what we do. It isn't as 'easy' as some make it out to be, and his learning curve was vital to the performance and second goal. Before Saturday, he had not shown that awareness.

I am happy Conte is talking up 3-4-3 with Perisic on Wed, as it is important that the oppo do not know what we will do on Wed.

conte likes to keep the opposition thinking

I agree with all of that especially the bolded bit.

they had 2 lucky breaks which they didn’t maximise because their played weren’t good enough
That’s what I saw
yes true was supporting my earlier post that a better team could have done us in.
re: lucky breaks, from another perspective its patient and efficient attacking. just that and i agree, everton doesn't have the quality. what was fat frank thinking when he let dele go? they can't get worse than this.

yes true was supporting my earlier post that a better team could have done us in.
re: lucky breaks, from another perspective its patient and efficient attacking. just that and i agree, everton doesn't have the quality. what was fat frank thinking when he let dele go? they can't get worse than this.
It really wasn’t patient play from them
They were awful and just set up to park the bus
It was an error from Peh and a hopefully long ball
But you say about other teams… we not make mistakes vs other teams as we may feel like we have to play differently
dele would be a good fit in theory but I’ve no idea how he is getting on in turkey now

Did you check expected goals for those two chances? Reality is even a top team may well have missed both!

Did you check expected goals for those two chances? Reality is even a top team may well have missed both!

if i'm not wrong xG does pick up contextual info such as number of defenders blocking and the quality of the player taking the shot. Its just average goals from that spot through history in a particular league.
maybe someone else can confirm...

if i'm not wrong xG does pick up contextual info such as number of defenders blocking and the quality of the player taking the shot. Its just average goals from that spot through history in a particular league.

You are wrong… you mean doesn’t ;)

I agree. Those sorts of chances, where the attacker is running full pelt for a long distance with an angry defender on his tail are very difficult to convert. Maybe Jimmy Greaves would've been odds on to score one of those chances in his pomp but not many others would have been or would be (Michael Owen maybe).

Really hope Conte is just playing mind games.

If Eriksen plays, maybe Bissouma could just mark him out the match.

Xg picks up location of shot and conversion rate
I don’t believe it takes it’s timing of the game, weather, who is taking the shot as 3 really big variables IMO

Those sorts of chances, where the attacker is running full pelt for a long distance with an angry defender on his tail are very difficult to convert. Maybe Jimmy Greaves would've been odds on to score one of those chances in his pomp but not many others would have been or would be
Sadly I remember Steven Gerrard doing exactly that to give Liverpool a one nil win at the Lane, after we had been all over them for 80 minutes but just couldn't score. Who was the useless ex Wimbledon defender who should have rugby tackled Gerrard but just let him waltz through?

Those sorts of chances, where the attacker is running full pelt for a long distance with an angry defender on his tail are very difficult to convert. Maybe Jimmy Greaves would've been odds on to score one of those chances in his pomp but not many others would have been or would be
Sadly I remember Steven Gerrard doing exactly that to give Liverpool a one nil win at the Lane, after we had been all over them for 80 minutes but just couldn't score. Who was the useless ex Wimbledon defender who should have rugby tackled Gerrard but just let him waltz through?

John Scales?

Back