• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Woolwich Wanderers

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think a lot of Spurs fans have selective amnesia when it comes to this fixture. The fact is we consistently turn up and get our pants pulled down when we play them away from home regardless of who the manager is, and that doesn’t seem to have changed even though we’ve been better than them for the past 3 years or so, although I think they may have closed the gap somewhat this season.

It has to be a mentality thing cos I refuse to believe they are that much better than us as a team right now and last season.

To be fair we have put in one 90 mins performance this season and that was against Chelsea. 45 mins Vs utd. Apart from that we have been bang average.

Chelsea game got everyone too excited and we were going to rule the world !

Poch should have picked Toby no doubt. Even still it one was game too many today.

Think a lot of Spurs fans have selective amnesia when it comes to this fixture. The fact is we consistently turn up and get our pants pulled down when we play them away from home regardless of who the manager is, and that doesn’t seem to have changed even though we’ve been better than them for the past 3 years or so, although I think they may have closed the gap somewhat this season.

It has to be a meteorology thing cos I refuse to believe they are that much better than us as a team right now and last season.

They've got a very capable front line. Apart from about 20-30 minutes, we failed to control the game today, that is asking for trouble. Add basic defensive errors and you are gifting it to them.

What disappointed me the most was that after controlling the first spell of the second half, we should have been able to see the game out. Instead, we conceded a goal and lost our heads.

Bitterly disappointed to lose from a winning position no matter how lucky we were to get there. I do feel Poch made a mistake with Foyth over Toby but I don't have access to Toby's fitness records, similarly with a lack of early subs but hindsight is so often a bitch....

Cannot get away from the fact we blew Chelscum away and did a professional job on Inter already this week. At the end of the day they were fresher and fought harder in front of their fans. The best team won today. We lick our wounds and go again on Wednesday against the SCBC.

COYS...!

I don’t dream of impossibilities, I just dream of possibilities.
Far more enjoyable starting every game (these days) believing we will win, with good reason, rather than expecting the worst and then blaming it on Levy.
My way might mean more crash downs when it goes wrong, but at least I’m not starting out in a negative mind.
But each to their own. We all have different outlooks.

Sure, that's totally valid. But I'd also suggest that it's short-termist, in a way.

Today, for example, we were coming into the third vital game in a week, while Arsenal were coming off a full week of rest (with some second-string striplings playing and thrashing some no-name European club in the interval).

We were at a disadvantage from the start. And it got worse when Poch sat, mute and lost, for 80 minutes before making his subs - long after Emery had made all three of his.

But could it have been different? If we had a stronger squad, could we not have rotated more? Would Foyth have needed to play back-to-back against Chelsea and Arsenal? Would we have needed to play Sissoko throughout the month? Could we have rested some of the six players who have played throughout the week? If we hadn't done literally *nothing* in the window, might the outcome have been different?

It's fine if you take it week-by-week: totally valid. But I'd argue that, looking at it longer-term, some trends emerge that will ultimately prove more decisive than the day-to-day in individual games. And while the resurgence of Sissoko, the emergence of Foyth and the return of Aurier are all heartwarming mini-tales within a season, the broader picture suggests that we shouldn't necessarily be in a position where we have to rely on those things occurring to get us out of tough situations.

And that's just within a season. Then you think about what we need to get over our inherent Spurs.i.ness, and the ownership model we need to actually ensure some level of success commensurate with that ambition. And then you start thinking in terms of years, decades even.

At least for me, I've found thinking in that way takes the sting out of days like this. We're inherently limited in what we can do, because we have a middling, spendthrift ownership that actively restricts how far our otherwise fantastic manager can take us. They won't leave (for now), and they won't change. So why get too upset over something we're completely stuck with?

And, personally I prefer that to what it used to be like - which was falling into a pretty black f*cking place whenever we lost.

Sure, that's totally valid. But I'd also suggest that it's short-termist, in a way.

Today, for example, we were coming into the third vital game in a week, while Arsenal were coming off a full week of rest (with some second-string striplings playing and thrashing some no-name European club in the interval).

We were at a disadvantage from the start. And it got worse when Poch sat, mute and lost, for 80 minutes before making his subs - long after Emery had made all three of his.

But could it have been different? If we had a stronger squad, could we not have rotated more? Would Foyth have needed to play back-to-back against Chelsea and Arsenal? Would we have needed to play Sissoko throughout the month? Could we have rested some of the six players who have played throughout the week? If we hadn't done literally *nothing* in the window, might the outcome have been different?

It's fine if you take it week-by-week: totally valid. But I'd argue that, looking at it longer-term, some trends emerge that will ultimately prove more decisive than the day-to-day in individual games. And while the resurgence of Sissoko, the emergence of Foyth and the return of Aurier are all heartwarming mini-tales within a season, the broader picture suggests that we shouldn't necessarily be in a position where we have to rely on those things occurring to get us out of tough situations.

And that's just within a season. Then you think about what we need to get over our inherent Spurs.i.ness, and the ownership model we need to actually ensure some level of success commensurate with that ambition. And then you start thinking in terms of years, decades even.

At least for me, I've found thinking in that way takes the sting out of days like this. We're inherently limited in what we can do, because we have a middling, spendthrift ownership that actively restricts how far our otherwise fantastic manager can take us. They won't leave (for now), and they won't change. So why get too upset over something we're completely stuck with?

And, personally I prefer that to what it used to be like - which was falling into a pretty black f*cking place whenever we lost.
Well we do usually have another loss so Barca or whoever we have next in the league then it's another run of wins. At least we don't draw in the league anymore eh.

I'm on holiday at the moment and we had 3 Gambian arse fans cheering like mad. Had that been back home I would have told them they were cnuts. I hate plastic fans.

From what I could tell those lot looked better on the attack then us. But I did have trouble identifying the players.

Just watched the game.

Have to say, it was deserved. It hurts to say, but they were better than us for the majority of the game, and certainly more threatening in front of goal.

In hindsight, this wasn't a game to start Foyth and Sissoko in, due to their inexperience and style of play, respectively. Not that I blame anything solely on them, as there were plenty others below par for this match, but Toby's experience and Winks' calmness on the ball would definitely have come in handy.

Biggest sigh for me is for the late subs. Even before 2-2 anyone could see that they were gaining momentum. After the equalizer, they were all over us. That's - at least - when you try to counter it by making changes. Not in the 80th minute, at 4-2 down, with the game effectively lost. That's pointless.

I think Poch gambled and lost with his tactical dispositions today, from the very start and during the game, in which we had the lead and looked fairly decent. There's no guarantee that changes would've helped, but I think they would.

Most of all though, they looked well up for it, much more so than us. And they looked sharper too, which is understandable given last week's fixtures. To give away a lead in such a manner though, is very disappointing.

Think a lot of Spurs fans have selective amnesia when it comes to this fixture. The fact is we consistently turn up and get our pants pulled down when we play them away from home regardless of who the manager is, and that doesn’t seem to have changed It has to be a meteorology thing cos I refuse to believe they are that much better than us as a team right now and last season.
True they have the upper hand at the Emirates but no more than we do at WHL/Wembley.

Our last ten at the Emirates: W1 D3 L6.

Our last ten fixtures at WHL/Wembley: W6 D3 L1

So it's not really a thing, is it!

We can't do it at the Emirates, we choke, we bottle it. It's the same when we play Emirates Marketing Project, we don't look the same, we don't get at them and get passed around for fun.

I fully expect the return fixture to be a reverse of this one, with the media sucking their roosters all the way to kick off and then us taking 3 points.

We can't do it at the Emirates, we choke, we bottle it. It's the same when we play Emirates Marketing Project, we don't look the same, we don't get at them and get passed around for fun.

I fully expect the return fixture to be a reverse of this one, with the media sucking their roosters all the way to kick off and then us taking 3 points.

It will be I’m sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back