• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Woolwich Wanderers

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a derby and these things happen

I’ve seen worst spurs sides get results against better arsenal ones
According to Toby not an important one anymore because he’s such a big time Charlie who doesn’t support the club and therefore have to put up with scummy Gooners coming crawling out from under their rocks to take the tinkle. I hope he got a sore on his buttocks sitting on the bench and realizes that his life is fundamentally hollow and he’ll be a fat Cnut with fckd knees in a few years.

According to Toby not an important one anymore because he’s such a big time Charlie who doesn’t support the club and therefore have to put up with scummy Gooners coming crawling out from under their rocks to take the tinkle. I hope he got a sore on his buttocks sitting on the bench and realizes that his life is fundamentally hollow and he’ll be a fat Cnut with fckd knees in a few years.

That’s what overreaction looks like @thfcsteff .

What happened?

Look man I know i

Look man I know I totally need to take a chill pill. But come on, how many times do we need to be changing into this fortress team to be then shown as a complete joke of team. Its boring. I must be too but it's so obvious what is happening with this team.

I fully understand, mate. And it's bloody frustrating for me to - always falling short *just* when it looks like we might overcome that final hurdle.

But, truth is, we're hitting a glass ceiling, again and again. It's just the upper limit to what we can achieve at this level, given the 0.00 pounds in funding that Poch gets.

Truth is, we were never meant to be in this position at all if our owners' plans went to the letter. All ENIC probably wanted from Poch was someone who would steady the ship after Sherwood, and build a solid, 5th-6th placed side using youth players while all our revenue was diverted into the stadium they've paid almost nothing into.

But Poch smashed all expectations. He wanted Schneiderlin and Rodriguez in 2014 - he got given Fazio and Stambouli. Didn't matter, built a smashing team. Probably wanted a DM in 2015 - got given nothing, reshaped Dier into a DM and finished in the top four. 2016, probably wanted someone other than Sissoko as our marquee signing - got given Sissoko. Didn't matter, absolutely destroyed the league in our last season at the Lane, finished 2nd. And so on, an so forth. This summer, he probably wanted someone, *anyone* - we instead made history by being the first team to do absolutely *nothing* whatsoever in a farcical window. Doesn't matter - still keeping us up there, in the hunt for top four.

No doubt all this is very inconvenient for ENIC, since it's all coming sooner than they expected. They probably didn't expect to be faced with the need to finance a team actually capable of challenging for the league with the right additions - my guess is, they wanted to build the stadium, sell up for 1bn+ and let some other schmuck deal with actually funding a push for success out of their own pockets.

So, faced with this unexpected, once-in-a-generation opportunity, they've decided to instead clam up, tell Poch to make do and continue spending absolutely nothing on the player side of things.

And thus, we've hit a glass ceiling.

Poch has taken us so far but we either need 500m for him to win the league (which even Tony pulis would do with that money) or we need to face facts and say we are a nearly team and come out and say it.

500m was just an example on my part. I don't think we need to spend that much, not by a long shot. However, we do need to spend more than we are doing if we want to genuinely challenge for things. And we aren't, so we're going to be stuck being the nearly team.

Poch is fudging boring as is spurs as a team. What's the point in beating Chelsea and smashing them when we are jeckyl. And Hyde. Just be consistently brick with no backbone or spend 500m and be the nuts.

Poch can't motivate an already motivated team, it's boring. Shows no strenght other than being brick and then becoming stronger.

The backbone is nearly there, mate. We still fold at crucial moments, and we will until the sheer quality of our squad carries us through. But to get us from being utterly spineless (as we were for most of our Prem history) to where we are now, *nearly* resolute...I just think you're underestimating how much of a job that was. And how much of a job it still is, given that he's continued to keep it at that level.

To put it in perspective, *any* winner out there - Mou, Pep, Klopp, any one of them - would struggle to do more than Poch is doing in our situation, with the funding and support (or lack of it) he gets. It's a structural issue - it's not down to him.

Is he perfect as a manager? No, definitely not. He relies too heavily on motivation, not enough on adaptation, and he has some sort of cursed fear of ever making a substitution before the 99th fudging minute.

But is he the very best we can get, and damn good in his own right? Yep, and you have to be able to see that.

Again, I think he's going to go somewhere more ambitious than we are, and prove that it was us holding *him* back - not the other way around.

I fully understand, mate. And it's bloody frustrating for me to - always falling short *just* when it looks like we might overcome that final hurdle.

But, truth is, we're hitting a glass ceiling, again and again. It's just the upper limit to what we can achieve at this level, given the 0.00 pounds in funding that Poch gets.

Truth is, we were never meant to be in this position at all if our owners' plans went to the letter. All ENIC probably wanted from Poch was someone who would steady the ship after Sherwood, and build a solid, 5th-6th placed side using youth players while all our revenue was diverted into the stadium they've paid almost nothing into.

But Poch smashed all expectations. He wanted Schneiderlin and Rodriguez in 2014 - he got given Fazio and Stambouli. Didn't matter, built a smashing team. Probably wanted a DM in 2015 - got given nothing, reshaped Dier into a DM and finished in the top four. 2016, probably wanted someone other than Sissoko as our marquee signing - got given Sissoko. Didn't matter, absolutely destroyed the league in our last season at the Lane, finished 2nd. And so on, an so forth. This summer, he probably wanted someone, *anyone* - we instead made history by being the first team to do absolutely *nothing* whatsoever in a farcical window. Doesn't matter - still keeping us up there, in the hunt for top four.

No doubt all this is very inconvenient for ENIC, since it's all coming sooner than they expected. They probably didn't expect to be faced with the need to finance a team actually capable of challenging for the league with the right additions - my guess is, they wanted to build the stadium, sell up for 1bn+ and let some other schmuck deal with actually funding a push for success out of their own pockets.

So, faced with this unexpected, once-in-a-generation opportunity, they've decided to instead clam up, tell Poch to make do and continue spending absolutely nothing on the player side of things.

And thus, we've hit a glass ceiling.

500m was just an example on my part. I don't think we need to spend that much, not by a long shot. However, we do need to spend more than we are doing if we want to genuinely challenge for things. And we aren't, so we're going to be stuck being the nearly team.

The backbone is nearly there, mate. We still fold at crucial moments, and we will until the sheer quality of our squad carries us through. But to get us from being utterly spineless (as we were for most of our Prem history) to where we are now, *nearly* resolute...I just think you're underestimating how much of a job that was. And how much of a job it still is, given that he's continued to keep it at that level.

To put it in perspective, *any* winner out there - Mou, Pep, Klopp, any one of them - would struggle to do more than Poch is doing in our situation, with the funding and support (or lack of it) he gets. It's a structural issue - it's not down to him.

Is he perfect as a manager? No, definitely not. He relies too heavily on motivation, not enough on adaptation, and he has some sort of cursed fear of ever making a substitution before the 99th fudging minute.

But is he the very best we can get, and damn good in his own right? Yep, and you have to be able to see that.

Again, I think he's going to go somewhere more ambitious than we are, and prove that it was us holding *him* back - not the other way around.

The ENIC-as-cackling-moustachioed-pantomime-villains stuff there is beyond ridiculous.

Aurier, Foyth and Vertonghen. Awful. Jesus H Christ. Our escaped goats have become a herd.

Didn't really see much of our fabled front 4. Either Emery is a tactical genius or ... we were too tired/ nervous/ over-hyped to play football like we can.

I do think Winks deserves a place in the side.

I’ll also say Sky’s coverage was terrible.

Any number of long, lingering shots of the crowd and the managers, and close ups of players whilst the game was going on. Missed so much play.

The worst is when they show a replay, then cut to a long close up if the protagonist of that replay when the game has restarted. So annoying.

The ENIC-as-cackling-moustachioed-pantomime-villains stuff there is beyond ridiculous.

They're certainly not villains - just somewhat competent, penny-pinching spendthrifts who are uncomfortable with the idea of actually pursuing trophies by spending money on the player side of things.

They've been average custodians of the club - hell, somewhat above average. But you need more, a *lot* more, to actually start undoing the essential Spurs.i.ness at the heart of our history. And while Poch is definitely a manager who can do that with us, ENIC as owners are utterly unfit to make that next step, because of their fear of spending anything even when faced with the evidence that Poch is the man for us.

So I take the good moments as they come, and I'm waiting for the day that they finish the brilliant stadium, take their billion pounds and leave. And maybe then we can break that glass ceiling - with the new owner.

Aurier, Foyth and Vertonghen. Awful. Jesus H Christ. Our escaped goats have become a herd.

Didn't really see much of our fabled front 4. Either Emery is a tactical genius or ... we were too tired/ nervous/ over-hyped to play football like we can.

I do think Winks deserves a place in the side.
Front 4 were poor, however we did score 2 away from home. Blame has to mainly go down to defence and midfield, I don’t think any of them came out with any credit today, maybe apart from Foyth, but he still gave them the winner.

Winks and Dier should be 1st choice CM.

This is bigger than Poch and the present team. I've said it before, but Poch has performed minor miracles in getting us to this point.

But even he can't change what we are, fundamentally, as a club.

Always the bridesmaids, never the bride. Good fortune and success is always something that happens to other teams, and never us. Other teams get ambitious owners...we get, well, somewhat adequate, penny-pinching spendthrifts looking to flip us on for a profit. Other teams cross the final hurdle and win titles and trophies - we always fall short. Other teams sign players out of their league and have a never-say-die attitude - we seem to be defeated by obstacles that other teams surpass, both in the transfer market and more generally.

We will be nearly men, because the sort of monumental change required to undo that strange sense of fate is once-in-a-century. And we haven't yet experienced that. Nor do we seem to want to - we're happy being bridesmaids, more or less, because, while Poch struggles against massive odds to get us to where we are now, no one really sees that taking us beyond what we are will require the sort of investment that Daniel Levy and ENIC will never provide. Indeed, we have people proud of the fact that we're going to be stuck that way, historically. Even if we do win something here and there - because at least we're also-rans in a sustainable fashion.

I've always been of the opinion that no one cares how history is made or trophies are won, in the long run. No one cares, just as no one now cares that we spent British record transfer fees to bring in the likes of Jimmy Greaves back when we were on top, half a century ago.

Ultimately, as long as we believe that being run like a pound-shop Arsenal will bring us the sort of generational success required to rid us of that curse of spurs.i.ness, I don't think we'll stop being bridesmaids. But hey, c'est la vie - and all you can do is enjoy the small moments.

Do you have these anti-Levy/anti-ENIC diatribes written up and saved in advance? It’s like any excuse to roll out the rhetoric.
Were you saying we are run like a pound shop when we beat Cheatski and Inter?

We played a bad game today. But we had the players to play good game and win. Nothing to do with Levy and investment. The players out there today are good enough to beat Woolwich but let themselves down today. And Poch has some blame as well. Questionable CB selection. Slow out of the blocks. Stupid errors. Sloppy passing.

Don’t get me wrong. I am p1ssd off at the result. I embarrassed myself by biting at the gooner gloating and behaving out of character. The result and score line bloody hurts.
There’s nothing wrong with being questionning of management but today was down to the players and Poch. Not some greater ulterior motive of ENIC, Levy and Lewis.
But hey, any excuse, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back