• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Woolwich Wanderers

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
5 hours later and I still have this dead feeling. I know for some it’s the Cheats or Pool that are seen as the games that matter but for me there is no team I detest more, and no team I want to beat more, than Woolwich. My first ever live game was against them and even at the tender age of 10 I felt the hostility, even if not understanding it, and it stayed with me.
Us playing so badly makes it worse because we were the engineers of our own demise.
But Ghod do I hate losing to that lot.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...banana-skin-thrower-pierre-emerick-aubameyang

Bet it was a member of the top football lads (or whatever that organisation is called), I hope they nail the fudger and he (it’s gonna be a bloke isn’t it) gets prison time along with a life ban from every sports arena on the planet.

Totally agree. And not excusing that behaviour at all, he deserves th full force of the law in terms of punishment, but this annoyed me :
The Arsenal striker had scored the first of his two goals from the penalty spot when he ran to celebrate in front of the travelling supporters. A host of projectiles were thrown at him, with still photography showing that a banana skin was among them
So why wasn’t he booked, when Dier was?

I can’t bring myself to vote for a man of the match. I know it’s very knee jerk but I can’t vote for a best player in a match we lost against a worse team, that is throwing away our good work, making any argument that we are the best team in North London impossible this week. I certainly say it wasn’t one of our defenders.

I can’t bring myself to vote for a man of the match. I know it’s very knee jerk but I can’t vote for a best player in a match we lost against a worse team, that is throwing away our good work, making any argument that we are the best team in North London impossible this week. I certainly say it wasn’t one of our defenders.
Samesies.

True they have the upper hand at the Emirates but no more than we do at WHL/Wembley.

Our last ten at the Emirates: W1 D3 L6.

Our last ten fixtures at WHL/Wembley: W6 D3 L1

So it's not really a thing, is it!

I'd imagine off the top of my head you might start to find a difference in the margin of some of the defeats though. We've had several tonkings over there over the years, certainly more so than the other way round I'd have thought.

I can’t accept tiredness as an excuse. They had a game on Thursday and they had a some lengthy flights involved.
We were brick from the start, and I was hoping that it would be 0-1 at half time... then we have a decent spell and nick 2 very quickly.
2nd half earlydoors, we were on the ascendancy and then imploded and were 2nd best to everything, like at the start of the game. A day to forget for us fans, a day to learn and for the players and staff.

I can’t accept tiredness as an excuse. They had a game on Thursday and they had a some lengthy flights involved.
We were brick from the start, and I was hoping that it would be 0-1 at half time... then we have a decent spell and nick 2 very quickly.
2nd half earlydoors, we were on the ascendancy and then imploded and were 2nd best to everything, like at the start of the game. A day to forget for us fans, a day to learn and for the players and staff.

None of their team went on Thursday and payed

This is bigger than Poch and the present team. I've said it before, but Poch has performed minor miracles in getting us to this point.

But even he can't change what we are, fundamentally, as a club.

Always the bridesmaids, never the bride. Good fortune and success is always something that happens to other teams, and never us. Other teams get ambitious owners...we get, well, somewhat adequate, penny-pinching spendthrifts looking to flip us on for a profit. Other teams cross the final hurdle and win titles and trophies - we always fall short. Other teams sign players out of their league and have a never-say-die attitude - we seem to be defeated by obstacles that other teams surpass, both in the transfer market and more generally.

We will be nearly men, because the sort of monumental change required to undo that strange sense of fate is once-in-a-century. And we haven't yet experienced that. Nor do we seem to want to - we're happy being bridesmaids, more or less, because, while Poch struggles against massive odds to get us to where we are now, no one really sees that taking us beyond what we are will require the sort of investment that Daniel Levy and ENIC will never provide. Indeed, we have people proud of the fact that we're going to be stuck that way, historically. Even if we do win something here and there - because at least we're also-rans in a sustainable fashion.

I've always been of the opinion that no one cares how history is made or trophies are won, in the long run. No one cares, just as no one now cares that we spent British record transfer fees to bring in the likes of Jimmy Greaves back when we were on top, half a century ago.

Ultimately, as long as we believe that being run like a pound-shop Arsenal will bring us the sort of generational success required to rid us of that curse of spurs.i.ness, I don't think we'll stop being bridesmaids. But hey, c'est la vie - and all you can do is enjoy the small moments.

yes ...just like it was before the last war....it was all noted we were too tight a club to spend money on players...
It changed with Bill Nicholson though. Enic are spending money on the club but are carefully balancing the books. It makes the slogan on the new lane "to dare is to do" a bit of my favourite buttplug!

Never saw the team they put out to be fair, but i still don;t take it as an excuse for the performances in a NLD. A lot of our mistakes were basic errors and i don’t believe it was fatigue, not so early into the game.

They were basic errors which I agree wouldn’t be down to tiredness

But the lack of running and general lethargy would be IMO

Played who looked world beaters a week ago looked pedestrian today

They were basic errors which I agree wouldn’t be down to tiredness

But the lack of running and general lethargy would be IMO

Played who looked world beaters a week ago looked pedestrian today
I said couple days ago I’d be surprised if Sissoko played this one - the amount of ground he covers box to box I thought to play in all three big games was too big an ask. Really surprised he was selected....

Well we do usually have another loss so Barca or whoever we have next in the league then it's another run of wins. At least we don't draw in the league anymore eh.

Are you seriously suggesting you'll only consider us a success if we win every game we play? Get a fudging clue.

Part of being a real supporter (not a fudging plastic) is taking the bad with the good. It's life, fudging deal with it.

People in this thread claiming ENIC are unambitious or penny pinching, go have a look at the stadium thread you entitled clams.

You can fudge off with the clam who threw the banana today. Disgusting behaviour not welcome at any football club or anywhere else for that matter.

It's a brick result but we'll bounce back, it's what Poch has built into this team. To try and pass that resilience off as being flaky or a 'non winner' really makes my blood boil.

I said couple days ago I’d be surprised if Sissoko played this one - the amount of ground he covers box to box I thought to play in all three big games was too big an ask. Really surprised he was selected....

We lost the game because we couldn't hold onto possession and use the ball positively. I don't think that there is a version of Sissoko that would've been right for this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back