• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

omt*** Tottenham Hotspur Vs Leeds United

Has Dawson looked at the Championship league table? Leeds doing well? They're 11th!! Hardly doing that well, are they?!

The Championship table is a pretty useless indicator until the last month or so. They're 6 points off the playoff spots with 18 matches to go. Probably just being nice to them anyway.

Though Leeds have been a big club since the mid 60s, they weren't before then. so they don't get anywhere near the history of more traditional big clubs like the old 'Big 5' of Utd Spurs Pool Everton Arsenal

For example we'd won the FA Cup five times and 8 major trophies altogether before they won their first trophy in 68, IIRC.

Leeds had a great 30 years but they're nowhere the level of the 5 already mentioned in winning trophies over many years.

http://www.krysstal.com/trophies.html

Sheffield Wednesday have won more trophies than them.

People like me who remember the pre-Revie Leeds when they were anonymous place fillers in the lower leagues won't be that surprised they are so low in the trophy table. Others may be.

Last edited:
Though Leeds have been a big club since the mid 60s, they weren't before then. so they don't get anywhere near the history of more traditional big clubs like the old 'Big 5' of Utd Spurs Pool Everton Arsenal

For example we'd won the FA Cup five times and 8 major trophies altogether before they won their first trophy in 68, IIRC.

Leeds had a great 30 years but they're nowhere the level of the 5 already mentioned in winning trophies over many years.

http://www.krysstal.com/trophies.html

Sheffield Wednesday have won more trophies than them.

People like me who remember the pre-Revie Leeds when they were anonymous place fillers in the lower leagues won't be that surprised they are so low in the trophy table. Others may be.

What I recall is that the first time they came to light was when they played Liverpool in the FA cup final in the mid sixties, also thats when Liverpool came to prominence as well.

What I recall is that the first time they came to light was when they played Liverpool in the FA cup final in the mid sixties, also thats when Liverpool came to prominence as well.

That's exactly right re Leeds, but not Liverpool.

Liverpool had won the title the year before, and that was the SIXTH time Liverpool had the title. At that stage Leeds had won nowt. As I say compared to the old 'Big Five' Leeds had bog all history prior to the mid-60s, compared to the likes of us and Pool.

However, it's interesting the power of the FA Cup in those days that Pool's first FA Cup win registered more with you than Pool's sixth title win.

A lot of youngsters probably don't realise how big the FA Cup was then. In many ways it was bigger than the Lge title. The final was the only domestic club game shown live, and the FA Cup had a glamour and magic about it that the league couldn't match.

In those days teams rested players for lge games to save them for the Cup! And a Cup game generated bigger gates than a similar game against Lge opponents. Quite often Cup games were made all-ticket, whereas lge games hardly ever were, at Spurs anyway.

A classic example was in 68 in a 5th round tie against Pool, where I had to go down the Sunday before to get my ticket, whereas in the corresponding lge game, i just turned up on the day.

Last edited:
That's exactly right re Leeds, but not Liverpool.

Liverpool had won the title the year before, and that was the SIXTH time Liverpool had the title. At that stage Leeds had won nowt. As I say compared to the old 'Big Five' Leeds had bog all history prior to the mid-60s, compared to the likes of us and Pool.

However, it's interesting the power of the FA Cup in those days that Pool's first FA Cup win registered more with you than Pool's sixth title win.

A lot of youngsters probably don't realise how big the FA Cup was then. In many ways it was bigger than the Lge title. The final was the only domestic club game shown live, and the FA Cup had a glamour and magic about it that the league couldn't match.

In those days teams rested players for lge games to save them for the Cup! And a Cup game generated bigger gates than a similar game against Lge opponents. Quite often Cup games were made all-ticket, whereas lge games hardly ever were, at Spurs anyway.

A classic example was in 68 in a 5th round tie against Pool, where I had to go down the Sunday before to get my ticket, whereas in the corresponding lge game, i just turned up on the day.

I remember cup matches had a carnival atmosphere and were really special, I knew that Liverpool had won the title the year before but knew nothing else about them, the best teams were us, Utd, Burnley, Ipswich and Leicester, that's how I remember it.

Anybody ever used the big car parks near the ground? I am forced to drive on Sunday as there are - yet again - bastard engineering works on the line up to London from south Hampshire. So I really can't feasibly do the trip by train. Never driven on trips to Leeds, so eff all idea of where to park.

I remember cup matches had a carnival atmosphere and were really special, I knew that Liverpool had won the title the year before but knew nothing else about them, the best teams were us, Utd, Burnley, Ipswich and Leicester, that's how I remember it.

Hi JG, by 1965 Liverpool were easily one of the best teams, better than Burnley, Ipswich and Leicester, and probably better than us.

They were champions, won the FA Cup and narrowly lost an epic European Cup semi final to Inter 4-3

They won the title again the next season

That's way ahead of what teams like Burnley, Leicester and Ipswich were doing.

Also ahead of Leeds who still hadn't nowt by 66 either.

Anybody ever used the big car parks near the ground? I am forced to drive on Sunday as there are - yet again - bastard engineering works on the line up to London from south Hampshire. So I really can't feasibly do the trip by train. Never driven on trips to Leeds, so eff all idea of where to park.

Loads of parking near the ground but Leeds fans can and do vandalise cars with signs of being owned by opposition fans such as southern plates.

The ground is a pain in the arse as its just out of town with no station near. Its a few miles walk from the city centre. When ive gone ive always parked in town and walked.

Loads of parking near the ground but Leeds fans can and do vandalise cars with signs of being owned by opposition fans such as southern plates.

The ground is a pain in the arse as its just out of town with no station near. Its a few miles walk from the city centre. When ive gone ive always parked in town and walked.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've always take the train up, taxi'd to the ground and walked back. Might just park in town and do the same.

Hi JG, by 1965 Liverpool were easily one of the best teams, better than Burnley, Ipswich and Leicester, and probably better than us.

They were champions, won the FA Cup and narrowly lost an epic European Cup semi final to Inter 4-3

They won the title again the next season

That's way ahead of what teams like Burnley, Leicester and Ipswich were doing.

Also ahead of Leeds who still hadn't nowt by 66 either.

I must have been in denial !

I would like to see us rotate and rest a couple of players. The game against Norwich mid week will be very important. Leeds won't be pushovers and will surely be up for a fight (aren't they always?), but as long as the players we bring in are up for it too we should have enough quality to take control of the game.

---------------Lloris-----------
Naughton-Daws-Caulker-Ekotto
--------Parker---Hudd--------
Lennon------Sig------Dempsey
-----------Defoe--------------

That would rest Walker, Vertonghen, Dembele and Bale. Give some game time to Naughton (in his favoured position), Caulker, Hudd and Sig. All players that can turn out to be important as the season progresses and the fixture list thickens.

I would like to see us rotate and rest a couple of players. The game against Norwich mid week will be very important. Leeds won't be pushovers and will surely be up for a fight (aren't they always?), but as long as the players we bring in are up for it too we should have enough quality to take control of the game.

That would rest Walker, Vertonghen, Dembele and Bale. Give some game time to Naughton (in his favoured position), Caulker, Hudd and Sig. All players that can turn out to be important as the season progresses and the fixture list thickens.

Yep this team but Friedel ahead of Lloris.

I Like this team, nice balance and a few players in there with something to prove, this would do for me.

Back