• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - SPURS vs Vitesse

I don’t know why we would invest in a striker who is only going to play a handful of low level cup games - Europa League qualifiers, and league cup etc How often did Vinicius get used? And what level striker you reckon is going to come here for that role? In an ideal world sure, but it’s not going to happen…..

Everton signed Solomon Rondon on a free and he could have made up the numbers
Leicester signed Daka, Palace signed Edouard - could have been a genuine option off the bench in the league

And I'm sure there's dozens more

One of the big things for me is not having a quality focal point in attack. Clearly there is no attacking game plan for that set of players but the forward can always cause trouble and move the team up.

Leicester’s 3rd choice scored 4 last night. We don’t even have a 2nd choice.
Mystery why we didn't go for Daka at the price Leicester paid, another striker picked out by many on here as a standout buy.

Ooh I just started watching Wet Spam vs Genk and Erik Thorsvedt's son is playing AM for Genk. I had no idea he existed.

I don’t know why we would invest in a striker who is only going to play a handful of low level cup games - Europa League qualifiers, and league cup etc How often did Vinicius get used? And what level striker you reckon is going to come here for that role? In an ideal world sure, but it’s not going to happen…..

But it’s not just about games like tonight. The season is only going to get busier. Nobody else in the squad apart from Ndombele has shown any glimmer of being a regular scorer apart from Kane or Son.

Everton signed Solomon Rondon on a free and he could have made up the numbers
Leicester signed Daka, Palace signed Edouard - could have been a genuine option off the bench in the league

And I'm sure there's dozens more
Those players are involved with the first team though - Rodon has played 4 league games for Everton, Daka has been signed to be integrated into the first team, same as Edouard. It is a far tougher sell to convince strikers to come and sit on our bench when they know Kane will always play and Son is likely backup option. They will only be playing a handful of games unless serious injury, and even then those games are lower level….

Let's be fair the effort was there from most of the players. However, lack of a striker or goal threat (especially one which had some physical strength to deal with their defenders aerially if necessary) was what limited us.

At least we were generally solid at the back. However, Scarlett was out of his depth, Bergwijn not confident in his pace on one counter-attack early in the second half whilst Dele and Winks...well..

I wouldn't blame the management for this one given our schedule. The back 4 did their job, mostly.
I do wonder if the keeper could have done better with the goal though
I’m just not getting Nuno’s footballing ethos as enthusiastic. It’s why he reminds me of ‘Droopy’,

Are we still pretending no striker in the whole of world football wouldn’t jump at the chance to sign for Spurs even if it is just to play at this level?

What no personal pride? This was players sulking, do you take them off and destroy youth players confidence? These are senior professionals and need to take a look at themselves. We all have to do things we dont like at work or school.
Doesn’t seem to be working with Nuno around.

Those players are involved with the first team though - Rodon has played 4 league games for Everton, Daka has been signed to be integrated into the first team, same as Edouard. It is a far tougher sell to convince strikers to come and sit on our bench when they know Kane will always play and Son is likely backup option. They will only be playing a handful of games unless serious injury, and even then those games are lower level….

I don't agree. Anyone of those could have been guaranteed starts in:
- 2 ECL qualifiers
- 6 ECL group games
- say 6 ECL knock-out games
- 4-8 domestic cup games
- the 3-10 league games which Kane is injured for

...plus minutes off the bench for Kane or alongside him.

Anyone of those names would have taken that given the step up to Spurs. The risk is that in a couple years more we might not be step up!

Are we still pretending no striker in the whole of world football wouldn’t jump at the chance to sign for Spurs even if it is just to play at this level?

Madness ain’t it. There’s players that are 2nd choice elsewhere that would be 2nd choice here. Daka went in as 3rd choice. They already had Iheanacho. Can’t have taken too much convincing.

Went as expected, hoped to hold out for a draw. Wasn't going to watch but did for the 1st half. Commentator then dug out his Vitesse v English sides stats and said they'd never beaten an English side or even scored against one in 6 or 7 attempts.
I didn't watch the 2nd half....

Madness ain’t it. There’s players that are 2nd choice elsewhere that would be 2nd choice here. Daka went in as 3rd choice. They already had Iheanacho. Can’t have taken too much convincing.

Even if you are getting a lower level striker to play in just this cup, we would still of had some takers for the season.

I don't agree. Anyone of those could have been guaranteed starts in:
- 2 ECL qualifiers
- 6 ECL group games
- say 6 ECL knock-out games
- 4-8 domestic cup games
- the 3-10 league games which Kane is injured for

...plus minutes off the bench for Kane or alongside him.

Anyone of those names would have taken that given the step up to Spurs. The risk is that in a couple years more we might not be step up!
In the league games Kane is injured we play Son up front, where statistically we have a better record with him up front than Kane.

So it just boils down to the ECL games, which we will do the same as every other season in Europe .Muddle through the group stage with our reserves and then in the knockouts play a stronger team (if we are actually bothered about it)…..

Back