• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oliver Skipp

There is nothing that I've seen in winks game to suggest he will make it at Spurs. I like him, but not very keen on his application for what we currently need. We have enough midfield players who don't score enough or grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Skipp looks like he's been spoken to in regards to driving the team forward. His passing and hard work amin the team currently suggests that there is no way back for someone like winks.
Agreed with most of what you have said, but regarding Winks, how many chances does he need to prove himself? Same could be said of Dele. These two for me are the most disappointing players for a long time now.
Winks, in my opinion should have been long gone

Second game in a row in which Skipp has outshone his central midfield partner. I thought he was excellent today.
Skipp has been fantastic and is really growing into the responsibility of the role. We even feel the loss when he's not starting. Hojberg needs to get worried because it's looking like he is the one in the medium to long term whose place will be under pressure.

If Skipp can add to his performance with more forward play and joining in the bodies for attack i think we genuinely could have a real box to box midfield player.

If Skipp can add to his performance with more forward play and joining in the bodies for attack i think we genuinely could have a real box to box midfield player.
Thats my hope to. Watching him for Norwich there were often times he could have played a more progressive ball but he kept it safer and more tidy. Back with us he seems to be trying a few more raking passes than he did at Norwich, so potentially he is beginning to feel comfortable and confident in his passing ability. This only bodes well as we do need a bit more in passing terms from the CMs.

Hold on. Much the same was said of Winks, back in the day. And Winks faced tougher tests than Skipp has - including being trusted to play against Real Madrid's imposing, back-to-back CL-winning midfield in 2017, a role in which he bossed one of the greatest midfielders in history in Modric.

A lot of the fundamental deficiencies in Winks' game came from not having a clearly defined role or skillset - he was the ultimate 'circulator', able to keep and recycle possession, but his forward passing was always fairly limited. He could still make the occasional good forward pass in Poch's pressing system, because we would win the ball high up the field and passes into the danger area were usually pretty simple as a result. And his physicality was never anything to write home about, but in a high-pressing system, movement mattered more than strength - while he had others (Dembele, Wanyama, Sissoko) to do the heavy lifting in midfield for him.

When we switched from Poch's system to Mourinho's abominable ultra-defensive setup, all of Winks' strengths were nullified and his weaknesses were brought to the fore. He wasn't strong enough to win possession consistently, tall enough to win headers much (if at all), and wasn't a good enough passer to launch counter-attacks. And so he became a bit of a nothing player - not a DM, not a playmaker, but something in between.

Skipp is from the exact same mold that Winks came from - the same mold that produced Tom Carroll, Ryan Mason and Alex Pritchard before him. He's part of the class of players recruited under Alex Inglethorpe's approach to academy management - which was simply to find the players that other clubs in London were overlooking on account of their physical limitations, but who had the drive, technique and intelligence to succeed regardless.

It was the only way the Spurs academy were going to be able to compete against Arsenal in their pomp and Chelsea with their money. But the flip side was that it produced a lot of players from roughly the same mold of slight, technically-gifted but physically-limited central midfielders, and Skipp is very much one of them as well.

He's reasonably fast, reasonably strong, mentally tough, and has a wonderful character by all accounts - a keen learner. But to avoid being outmoded like Winks was, he needs to acquire one of two things - either the physicality to consistently win tackles and shield the backline by himself, or the passing ability to play long, accurate, consistent through balls to set counter attacks off and dictate play from deep.

If he could get both, we would have a superstar on our hands. Even if he only gets one, we'd be set. But so far, he's still to face some of the tests Winks faced - and so far, while he has been impressive, he's had Hojbjerg next to him acting as a sort of insurance policy in case he misses a tackle or misplaces a pass.

Can our Skipp become our Barella? Certainly. But the trouble is, he could also become another Winksy - so maybe we need to dial down our expectations a bit and just let him grow into his role, whatever that may be. :)

Hold on. Much the same was said of Winks, back in the day. And Winks faced tougher tests than Skipp has - including being trusted to play against Real Madrid's imposing, back-to-back CL-winning midfield in 2017, a role in which he bossed one of the greatest midfielders in history in Modric.

A lot of the fundamental deficiencies in Winks' game came from not having a clearly defined role or skillset - he was the ultimate 'circulator', able to keep and recycle possession, but his forward passing was always fairly limited. He could still make the occasional good forward pass in Poch's pressing system, because we would win the ball high up the field and passes into the danger area were usually pretty simple as a result. And his physicality was never anything to write home about, but in a high-pressing system, movement mattered more than strength - while he had others (Dembele, Wanyama, Sissoko) to do the heavy lifting in midfield for him.

When we switched from Poch's system to Mourinho's abominable ultra-defensive setup, all of Winks' strengths were nullified and his weaknesses were brought to the fore. He wasn't strong enough to win possession consistently, tall enough to win headers much (if at all), and wasn't a good enough passer to launch counter-attacks. And so he became a bit of a nothing player - not a DM, not a playmaker, but something in between.

Skipp is from the exact same mold that Winks came from - the same mold that produced Tom Carroll, Ryan Mason and Alex Pritchard before him. He's part of the class of players recruited under Alex Inglethorpe's approach to academy management - which was simply to find the players that other clubs in London were overlooking on account of their physical limitations, but who had the drive, technique and intelligence to succeed regardless.

It was the only way the Spurs academy were going to be able to compete against Arsenal in their pomp and Chelsea with their money. But the flip side was that it produced a lot of players from roughly the same mold of slight, technically-gifted but physically-limited central midfielders, and Skipp is very much one of them as well.

He's reasonably fast, reasonably strong, mentally tough, and has a wonderful character by all accounts - a keen learner. But to avoid being outmoded like Winks was, he needs to acquire one of two things - either the physicality to consistently win tackles and shield the backline by himself, or the passing ability to play long, accurate, consistent through balls to set counter attacks off and dictate play from deep.

If he could get both, we would have a superstar on our hands. Even if he only gets one, we'd be set. But so far, he's still to face some of the tests Winks faced - and so far, while he has been impressive, he's had Hojbjerg next to him acting as a sort of insurance policy in case he misses a tackle or misplaces a pass.

Can our Skipp become our Barella? Certainly. But the trouble is, he could also become another Winksy - so maybe we need to dial down our expectations a bit and just let him grow into his role, whatever that may be. :)
You have that backwards, PEH has Skipp beside him as an insurance policy. Skipp has been far the better of the two this season, probably the player of the season so far. PEH runs around like a headless chicken most of the time, his passing has been poor this season and it's Skipp covering for him with his defensive discipline.

Skipp does a lot of the things you mention already, especially protecting the backline. He already consistently wins tackles, but more than that his reading of the game is excellent and far ahead of any of the players you mentioned. In the last couple of games he has also stepped up what he does with the ball, making some good progressive passes and some nice bursts forward with the ball when the space is available for him.

I applaud the call for caution in hyping up a young player. Just wanted to add some thoughts.

-I think Winks may have been set back more by injuries than is often focused on. Been reported he has to play through pain. Wasn't the most physical player before that, can't have helped.

-I think Skipp already looks better defensively than Winks did even at his best. May just be my impression, but in terms of tackling, winning duels, aggression and intensity I think he's at a higher level.

-There were good reasons to be excited about Winks, he just hasn't taken the steps we all hoped for. Definitely a need for improvement from Skipp, as there was for Winks. Hopefully Skipp will add more of what you ask over time. He looks a well rounded player, improving a bit across the board could make him a formidable player even without developing one or two truly standout qualities.

-As you point out Winks was very good in a specific system. Skipp doing well at Norwich, under Nuno and under Conte is a very good sign that he can do well in different circumstances.

I maintain my optimism, but it shouldn't be expressed as certainty.

-I agree

All perceptive stuff and I would not disagree with much of it although like Braineclipse says, I think chronic injury is affecting Winks's game more than we perhaps realise.

For comparison purposes, do you think Skipp (or Winks, for that matter), have the physical attributes to be as good (or bad, depending on your viewpoint) as Scott "Whirlygig" Parker?

All perceptive stuff and I would not disagree with much of it although like Braineclipse says, I think chronic injury is affecting Winks's game more than we perhaps realise.

For comparison purposes, do you think Skipp (or Winks, for that matter), have the physical attributes to be as good (or bad, depending on your viewpoint) as Scott "Whirlygig" Parker?
The best thing Winks had to his game when he first broke through was a confidence to be press resistant. Once he lost that confidence to resist the press whether that was due to injury or via usual loss of confidence reasons he lost the largest positive attributes his game had.

A Winks who isn't willing to wiggle around with the ball at his first and beat the press is a fairly pointless player with 0 standout attributes and not even in the good master of none good at many ways. Just below average in everything.

Skipp appears to be closer to some degree of quality in at least a couple of areas as compared to Winks.

:)

As usual mate i usually agree with most of your posts ( except when you go on you rants against Levy :)) Sorry for cutting your post down but the bit above was the one i wanted to highlight. As you say Skipp has come through the same mold that Carroll, Mason and Pritchard developed from but imo Skipp has shown more then the other three and i see more of a rounded player in him. I guesss time will tell.

It's a smart comparison, definitely. I'd say he can be a Scott Parker, 100% - but you have to remember that Parker was playing in a PL unrecognizable to that of today, and for a Spurs side very different to today's.

Simply put, the PL is now a far more tactically intensive, physically intense, high-pressure league than it was in Scotty's heyday for us. In just ten years, it's gone from first among equals to probably in a league of its own in terms of the demands on the players. 2011/2012 in the PL saw Fergie and Wenger as top coaches - maybe Mancini. Pressing was less intense, tactics less structured, and the overall level a lot more unequal, with some sides very good (traditional top four, us, City) and the rest pretty nondescript. Now, it's night and day - every team presses, no game is easy, and the league is filled from top to bottom with top coaches (Klopp, Conte, Tuchel, Rangnick, Guardiola) who can tailor their tactics to exploit player weaknesses in their opponents.

And of course, we have also grown - from Spurs Lodge to the new training ground, from the small pitch at WHL to the massive carpet at the new gaff, from hoping to get into 4th to reaching the CL final and clobbering heavyweights and CL regulars, from Madrid to Borussia Dortmund. From Harry to Conte, from lackadaiscal fitness to the most intense training sessions in top-level football, probably.

Long story short, Scotty was great for us in 2011/2012, but I think he would struggle in today's game - it's moved too fast, too quickly.

In Skippy' s case, if he ends up as 'just' as good as Scott Parker, that will have been enough - combative, no-nonsense midfielder with the occasional through ball in him. He's capable of that. But by itself, I doubt that would be enough to really cement his place in the side long-term - if he wants to be an undisputed first-team starter, the academy graduate he has to be looking at is Kane. Best in his position, best in the world, better than 95% of players in his position in the league.

And that's a tall order. So while it's justified to be excited about the kid, I'd rather just let him grow and not worry about what he could be - because that's the path to potentially being disappointed because he 'only' turns out as good as Winks (who, let's not forget, was a genuine talent once).

As usual mate i usually agree with most of your posts ( except when you go on you rants against Levy :)) Sorry for cutting your post down but the bit above was the one i wanted to highlight. As you say Skipp has come through the same mold that Carroll, Mason and Pritchard developed from but imo Skipp has shown more then the other three and i see more of a rounded player in him. I guesss time will tell.

Fair enough, and I agree with that last bit as well - time will tell. Let's not rush it with the kid, is all I'm saying - his path to development into a superstar is harder than someone who is naturally built like a tank or extremely fast. Like it was with Winksy, Mason, Carroll and Pritchard, and like it will be with Harvey White.

No shame at all if he doesn't quite end up the midfield superstar we're all hoping he can be - and if we're grounded in our expectations of what the kid is capable of, maybe we won't be disappointed the way we were with Winks, and if he does become a star, the pleasant surprise will be all the better. ;)

@braineclipse - agreed, mate. The signs are promising, but then, they were for Winks in a different way - he could start against Spam and start against Madrid and hold his own in both cases, so he clearly had something in him, once.

Skippy is talented and could be a superstar. He might not. Let's not pressure the kid by demanding perfection from him just yet. :)

Last edited:
Fair enough, and I agree with that last bit as well - time will tell. Let's not rush it with the kid, is all I'm saying - his path to development into a superstar is harder than someone who is naturally built like a tank or extremely fast. Like it was with Winksy, Mason, Carroll and Pritchard, and like it will be with Harvey White.

No shame at all if he doesn't quite end up the midfield superstar we're all hoping he can be - and if we're grounded in our expectations of what the kid is capable of, maybe we won't be disappointed the way we were with Winks, and if he does become a star, the pleasant surprise will be all the better. ;)

@braineclipse - agreed, mate. The signs are promising, but then, they were for Winks in a different way - he could start against Spam and start against Madrid and hold his own in both cases, so he clearly had something in him, once.

Skippy is talented and could be a superstar. He might not. Let's not pressure the kid by demanding perfection from him just yet. :)

I agree that standout physical attributes makes it easier, but less of an issue in central midfield than some other positions/roles.

Superstar is a very high bar, could be a massive success for us without reaching those levels.

The way I see it he's rather likely to become at the very least really useful defensively. True top class, who knows? So part of it will be how much can he add in his in possession game to become a standout player by being good in all phases of play.

A lot of different ways to add real quality on the ball. Long passes, quick effective and consistent short passing, carrying the ball etc.

To be honest I'm not sure Skipp has the technical level to be standout in any of those areas. Difficult for me to see him becoming a "superstar" through his quality on the ball. Perhaps the super effective short padding will be the easiest for him? But even there it's a long way to superstardom.

For me hos chances at becoming truly a top class, verging on superstar level player comes through being well rounded. Being good, borderline great at a lot of things. All phases of play, wide range of quality deep in midfield (don't think goals or assists will be his strength). Incremental improvement across a range of his already existing strong points.

But there's a way to go. Luckily he's young for a deep midfielder, with time for that development to happen.

I agree that standout physical attributes makes it easier, but less of an issue in central midfield than some other positions/roles.

Superstar is a very high bar, could be a massive success for us without reaching those levels.

The way I see it he's rather likely to become at the very least really useful defensively. True top class, who knows? So part of it will be how much can he add in his in possession game to become a standout player by being good in all phases of play.

A lot of different ways to add real quality on the ball. Long passes, quick effective and consistent short passing, carrying the ball etc.

To be honest I'm not sure Skipp has the technical level to be standout in any of those areas. Difficult for me to see him becoming a "superstar" through his quality on the ball. Perhaps the super effective short padding will be the easiest for him? But even there it's a long way to superstardom.

For me hos chances at becoming truly a top class, verging on superstar level player comes through being well rounded. Being good, borderline great at a lot of things. All phases of play, wide range of quality deep in midfield (don't think goals or assists will be his strength). Incremental improvement across a range of his already existing strong points.

But there's a way to go. Luckily he's young for a deep midfielder, with time for that development to happen.

I agree on all counts, except on the 'superstar' bit.

It's likely that Skipp doesn't end up at that level, true. But honestly, the one thing our academy will benefit from going forward is the emergence of Kane - okay, his Spurs career is winding down in a somewhat disappointing way, but for an awkward, gangly, somewhat clumsy kid who rarely impressed in loan after loan to go on and become what Kane became will be a shining motivator for a lot of our kids.

Hard work and mentality always beats uncommitted talent, and I think Kane's emergence will be a beacon for the lads in the academy like Skipp - not the most gifted, but the most determined. And that positive multiplier effect will last decades, imo - we will see better academy products emerge because of it.

And honestly? If Kane can do it...why can't Skipp? Let's not underestimate how good Harry was (and still is) - our academy produced one of the top five strikers in world football in the last decade, out of, what, tens of thousands of professional forwards?

And at Skipp's age, Kane was (iirc) still lumbering around on the last of his fruitless loans. So, honestly, I don't rule out that Skipp can emulate Kane, although I am always keen on dampening expectations to let the kid grow. But it *is* possible, imo.

A lot will come down to enabling the kid with a tactical system that plays to his strengths, though. As we've discussed before, Poch's system hid Winks' weaknesses and played to his strengths - it also did the same for Kane et al, by minimizing the need for technical brilliance (to retain possession for long periods in a sedate system) in favour of fitness and instinctual finishing in danger areas (due to high pressing forcing turnovers high up the pitch, creating relatively 'easier' chances).

Kane grew beyond needing that system to thrive, as he proved under Mourinho. But it would not have been possible without the confidence boost that came from playing in a system like Poch's, which utulised his strengths and let him grow into the role of talismanic centre-forward.

Skippy needs that too - not Mourinho-style drudgery desteoying his confidence. Luckily, Conte's extemely regimented system seems tailored for that sort of approach - if you follow his instructions, you will do well, simple as that. Exactly the sort of straightforwardness a young player needs, and I hope Skipp keeps getting coaches like that down the line, regardless of how he turns out.

I agree on all counts, except on the 'superstar' bit.

It's likely that Skipp doesn't end up at that level, true. But honestly, the one thing our academy will benefit from going forward is the emergence of Kane - okay, his Spurs career is winding down in a somewhat disappointing way, but for an awkward, gangly, somewhat clumsy kid who rarely impressed in loan after loan to go on and become what Kane became will be a shining motivator for a lot of our kids.

Hard work and mentality always beats uncommitted talent, and I think Kane's emergence will be a beacon for the lads in the academy like Skipp - not the most gifted, but the most determined. And that positive multiplier effect will last decades, imo - we will see better academy products emerge because of it.

And honestly? If Kane can do it...why can't Skipp? Let's not underestimate how good Harry was (and still is) - our academy produced one of the top five strikers in world football in the last decade, out of, what, tens of thousands of professional forwards?

And at Skipp's age, Kane was (iirc) still lumbering around on the last of his fruitless loans. So, honestly, I don't rule out that Skipp can emulate Kane, although I am always keen on dampening expectations to let the kid grow. But it *is* possible, imo.

A lot will come down to enabling the kid with a tactical system that plays to his strengths, though. As we've discussed before, Poch's system hid Winks' weaknesses and played to his strengths - it also did the same for Kane et al, by minimizing the need for technical brilliance (to retain possession for long periods in a sedate system) in favour of fitness and instinctual finishing in danger areas (due to high pressing forcing turnovers high up the pitch, creating relatively 'easier' chances).

Kane grew beyond needing that system to thrive, as he proved under Mourinho. But it would not have been possible without the confidence boost that came from playing in a system like Poch's, which utulised his strengths and let him grow into the role of talismanic centre-forward.

Skippy needs that too - not Mourinho-style drudgery desteoying his confidence. Luckily, Conte's extemely regimented system seems tailored for that sort of approach - if you follow his instructions, you will do well, simple as that. Exactly the sort of straightforwardness a young player needs, and I hope Skipp keeps getting coaches like that down the line, regardless of how he turns out.

Partly I think of there's disagreement between us on Skipp's potential it's down to semantics. For a player to be a superstar he has to have one or two truly standout qualities.

For Kane, finishing/shooting, but arguably also others.

In Skipp's role that may be defensively or when in possession. Defensively I think he can be great, but perhaps lacking a potential standout physical attribute (apart from stamina?) it could be difficult to be truly outstanding.

In possession superstars in that role, superstar deep playmakers are have immense qualities on the ball in different ways. I don't think it's particularly likely that Skipp will get to that level. Quick, effective, super consistent tempo setting short passing might be attainable. But even then, the true masters of that, the superstars, they're at a ridiculous level.

So I'm not sure superstardom is all that likely. Super useful, clear first choice, consistent high level performances and an important part of a team hopefully within an ever improving Tottenham side. That's definitely a possibility, and a more attainable goal imo.

But, as your first post pointed out, a goal, not a certainty, and the pressure on the kid shouldn't be to get there now or very quickly. Allow him to develop and see how far he can go.

Back