• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oliver Skipp

Look it was a positive game for Skipp, alot more than I have seen of him. Has all the attributes to be a really good player.

Needs consistency, confidence and I hope he grows into his own. With hard work and application he could exceed the ability of Declan Rice.

Smith Rowe says hi!
Perfect example. As is Bellingham.
Southgate takes a considered long term approach to to a couple of spots in the squad. Before the Euros, it was Bellingham, to see if had was up to being on the pathway.
Smith Rowe is now on the WC path way.
I can't see Skipp getting ahead of Bellingham, Henderson, Rice or Phillips in 12 months.
He has a great chance in the next cycle, post WC. So he might get some exposure in summer friendlies - those games will show who Southgate considerd 5/6 option and he'll need to prepare in case of injury.

I agree with Conte that he needs to improve on the ball but he is positionally very sound, combative, works hard and senses danger well. Strangely his passing seemed to improve in the second half, I wonder whether he was trying too hard and rushing in the first?

We seem to play quite a few passes that could be described as trying too hard and rushing it in general. When they come off at break lines of pressure quickly at good times to do so. When they don't it looks rushed.

I think it's more part of our style at the moment more than anything.

Agree that Skipp should look to improve. Not going to take massive steps on the ball and become Alonso or Modric, but he's a consistent pass and move player within short and medium range passing at least. Technically sound. No reason not to think he won't impove incrementally. And as the system gets better drilled he could perhaps even take some real further steps this season.

Look it was a positive game for Skipp, alot more than I have seen of him. Has all the attributes to be a really good player.

Needs consistency, confidence and I hope he grows into his own. With hard work and application he could exceed the ability of Declan Rice.

That's not a very high bar, Rice is a centreback playing in midfield.

Perhaps as I've seen him play more for England than West Ham I have a low opinion of him, he appears a player who has limited passing and is always looking to play back or sideways, he is guilty of ball watching and doesnt seem to read situations. I think Kalvin Phillips is a much better player.

Perhaps as I've seen him play more for England than West Ham I have a low opinion of him, he appears a player who has limited passing and is always looking to play back or sideways, he is guilty of ball watching and doesnt seem to read situations. I think Kalvin Phillips is a much better player.
He is much better for West Ham

They are both excellent players and will likely have the 4 big clubs in England all prepared to pay a large transfer fee to bring them in.

Yea agree, looks quality for West ham but a bit laboured for England at times (although I thought he was really good in the 1st half of the Euro final)
Agree
I think for England he doesn’t know when to attack so he plays it safe
For west ham he knows his team and role better

Last edited:
Back