• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oliver Skipp

I agree but I think it’s part of plan we don’t see as fans

If I was putting it on paper It would have been Pierre as the holder, Skipp B2B and Bentacur the 10 role

They did interchange a lot as the game went on TBF
yes I agree. But in Ange we trust I suppose. I would want Skipp to be able to push to start games. Its good to have players making it through our system and holding first team chances. At the current standing I make him 6th out of our midfield options when fully fit. So I have hopes for him but he is not really a runner is he, so I really do wonder if it will work out.

yes I agree. But in Ange we trust I suppose. I would want Skipp to be able to push to start games. It’s good to have players making it through our system and holding first team chances. At the current standing I make him 6th out of our midfield options when fully fit. So I have hopes for him but he is not really a runner is he, so I really do wonder if it will work out.
Some of his play was great yesterday

The first time pass to switch play was brilliant

well out of the three we had available. I would have thought even Rodrigo or PEH tbh. That was my point. Rodders can get in the box and has show he has a finish on him. But he is more press resistant.

PEH has a good pass and a good shot on him at times.

Im starting to think that even though its not his best position Ange wanted Bents and PEH in the deeper roles to resist the press and be more mobile. Thats all I can think really.
I admittedly didn't get to watch the first half but I would imagine that Ange wanted Bentancur deeper to help beat the press and have some quality progressive passing from deep. Neither of these things are a strength of Skipp's and we know that PEH is is reliably inconsistent in his use and care of the ball.

I would imagine that he was somewhat forced into it due to missing Kulu. It would have otherwise likely been a choice of between Skipp or PEH for a 3rd CM role rather than both of them.

Well, a lot of uncertainty and left-handed compliments being expressed about Skipp in these recent posts.

Michael Cox, the brilliant tactical analyst at The Athletic has a far more substantive and positive view of Skipp, calling him one of the key figures in the draw at Man U. Great breakdown of how Skipp's decoy runs were used to pull midfielders and defenders away from their usual positions to create space for line-breaking passes and runs. Skipp is also shown to be a key figure in the equalizing goal. And no mention of that sweetly stroked pass to Werner:

If you don't subscribe and are using a PC, just right click on the opening picture of Skipp to see a drop-down menu and click on Immersive Reader. Or use the F9 button.

Well, a lot of uncertainty and left-handed compliments being expressed about Skipp in these recent posts.

Michael Cox, the brilliant tactical analyst at The Athletic has a far more substantive and positive view of Skipp, calling him one of the key figures in the draw at Man U. Great breakdown of how Skipp's decoy runs were used to pull midfielders and defenders away from their usual positions to create space for line-breaking passes and runs. Skipp is also shown to be a key figure in the equalizing goal. And no mention of that sweetly stroked pass to Werner:

If you don't subscribe and are using a PC, just right click on the opening picture of Skipp to see a drop-down menu and click on Immersive Reader. Or use the F9 button.
Thanks for that article, interesting.
It is hard for the casual observer to realise that sometimes our midfielders will be making strange runs into space and trying to drag the opponents out of shape.
So it might look to us like they made a bizarre run, vacated midfield and had no chance of getting back into defensive shape... but perhaps that was the plan. Certainly there were times when our midfield was nowhere to be seen.

Reactions: jrh
We're all so quick to criticize certain players but there has to be consideration that this is an entirely new system for them all and, since the loss to Chelsea, our lineup has rarely been the same two games in a row. Everybody has had to adapt to frequently changing team mates, and even positions, which is bound to have some effect on their play.

But there's a lot to like in how Postecoglou gets the best out of what's on offer with his squad each week. When we see Skipp have a game like that it does give cause to wonder just how much improvement we'd receive from a player like Conor Gallagher, given the price Chelsea will want. And he'll need time to settle in.

Are we seeing Skipp showing he can take it up a level? Too bad we don't have many more games this January to find out.

Would love to see analysis like that on Sky or TNT with a qualified coach instead of having to listen to the likes of Neville and Redknapp spouting crap.

Would love to see analysis like that on Sky or TNT with a qualified coach instead of having to listen to the likes of Neville and Redknapp spouting crap.

Neville actually is a qualified coach though.

I like Cox, he's smart, but he's just a journalist.

which browser does that?

Neville actually is a qualified coach though.

I like Cox, he's smart, but he's just a journalist.
Being qualified doesn't mean you talk any sense. Stating that Ange is just copying Pep shows the level of his analysis.
There's plenty of coaches that do that sort of analysis for a living. It would be good if there was a show or section after matches for them to go through their analysis.
Gary O'Neill went through the tactics he used against City on Monday Night football and it was the most interesting piece I've seen outside the actual matches in a long time.

I admittedly didn't get to watch the first half but I would imagine that Ange wanted Bentancur deeper to help beat the press and have some quality progressive passing from deep. Neither of these things are a strength of Skipp's and we know that PEH is is reliably inconsistent in his use and care of the ball.

I would imagine that he was somewhat forced into it due to missing Kulu. It would have otherwise likely been a choice of between Skipp or PEH for a 3rd CM role rather than both of them.
It wasnt like that though
PEH was playing deeper
bentacur in the Sarr role and skipp in the Maddison role

Bentancur in the Sarr role, which is deeper than the Maddison role. And definitely deeper than how Skipp played that role against Manchester United.
The Sarr role covers the right but is all about energy and running
The Maddison role is the playmaker and link up between midfield and attack
The Bissouma role drives the tempo for how we play

Who plays in those roles of course is changeable

The Sarr role covers the right but is all about energy and running
The Maddison role is the playmaker and link up between midfield and attack
The Bissouma role drives the tempo for how we play

Who plays in those roles of course is changeable
Sure. Bentancur also played deeper than he would have if he had the "Maddison role" or the role Skipp played against Manchester United.

Back