• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

Just 1 week after Euro2012, already bored without football. Wish we play any friendly match this week.

First team start training on monday, are we a bit later than usual?
I know the younger players have already begun their pre season training.

I think several players have been in already, but the mandatory training starts Monday.

Looking at our pre-season schedule, Liverpool and Valencia are the only decent opponents. Why do we even bother playing the other teams ? What do we expect to learn from playing against the likes of Watford, Southend, Stevenage, LA and New York ? As usual, we are going to score many goals against them which will only make us put too much expectations in the team. I would prefer us to play strong teams instead.

US teams are match fit at this point of the year, they'll provide decent opposition.
Stevenage is early on without much training done, just a way to kick off and get the legs going.
Southend is our development team, young team playing senior professionals.
Liverpool as you say is Premier League quality, and on same stage as us fitness wise.
Watford is decent, Championship level, allows us to also use a couple of younger players.
Valencia is top Europa League quality just before the season kicks off.

I don't see the problem with it, we have to work on our system with new manager, many new signings, and we'll be without Sandro/Parker/Huddlestone(?) in perhaps the key position in Villas-Boas' system.

We wouldn't have learned much against Premier League (or equal quality) opposition anyway.
Cause like us they aren't match fit, they play youth and squad players, rotate, and use up to 11 substitutions.

Only the final friendly can give much pointers towards where you are as a team,
and you never know for certain untill the season kicks off.

Definitely think we'll drive down for the Watford game, if we can get tickets on Weds am. All this talk of signings means I can wait for the Premier League matches to see Spurs live

Looking at our pre-season schedule, Liverpool and Valencia are the only decent opponents. Why do we even bother playing the other teams ? What do we expect to learn from playing against the likes of Watford, Southend, Stevenage, LA and New York ? As usual, we are going to score many goals against them which will only make us put too much expectations in the team. I would prefer us to play strong teams instead.

Fitness. Pre-season is to get the players match fit for the season.

Plus if your going to be learning a new system you can learn it against anyone really.

It's all about players getting match sharpness. The actual results and even performances of pre-season games mean jack brick.

US teams are match fit at this point of the year, they'll provide decent opposition.
Stevenage is early on without much training done, just a way to kick off and get the legs going.
Southend is our development team, young team playing senior professionals.
Liverpool as you say is Premier League quality, and on same stage as us fitness wise.
Watford is decent, Championship level, allows us to also use a couple of younger players.
Valencia is top Europa League quality just before the season kicks off.

I don't see the problem with it, we have to work on our system with new manager, many new signings, and we'll be without Sandro/Parker/Huddlestone(?) in perhaps the key position in Villas-Boas' system.

This season I would expect Liverpool to be slightly ahead of us in their fitness programme by the time we play them in the US, their season starts before us.
Although it would not be a total first team on show, they will be starting in the 3rd qualifying round of the Europa League which is on Aug 2nd and Aug 9th

Benoit Assou-Ekotto @AssouEkotto

Last 12 hour of holliday...im feel a bit sick now -)))) i hv to com bk next week lOoooooL

Very good.

I saw Suarez to Juventus rumours a few days ago. That would send the poor fudgers over the edge if it happened.

Nah, he's overrated mate. Horrible finisher, unproven in the PL. Gaston Ramirez'll be much better, he's the new Stevie G, like. Suarez can do one, Glen Johnson start ahead of him at RB in the national team......:D

Anybody going to Baltimore for our match there? We have about 10 Spurs fans from Cleveland making the trip down can't wait for this!

Yeah, I wad given a ticket and VIP pass as a b-day present, I am in Section 114. I am really looking forward to it, last time I saw Spurs live was nil-nil draw at home to everton in 1996.

I live an hour north of Baltimore in PA.

Last edited:
Back