• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Watched "Looper" and "Argo" this weekend. Both top notch thrillers.

I also really enjoyed Argo despite some Hollywood re-writing of history, such as the daft car chase at the airport and the way that the British are portrayed to have turned away the Embassy staff when in reality we helped shelter them.

Ben Affleck's new film 'Argo' upsets British diplomats who helped Americans in Iran - Telegraph

Guess it done the trick though as it won the Oscar for Best Movie and Affleck is surely due a Best Director award some day as he's shown himself to be much more talented behind the camera than as an actor.

Very pleased to see Jennifer Lawrence win an Oscar for Silver Linings Playbook

Hadnt planned to see it originally, but we happened to go one night on a spur of the moment. Inspired decision. Excellent film

Agree with this. Coupled with the Oscar for Ang Lee, I was very pleased.

Just came back from watching "A Good Day to Die Hard" (6/10)

It wasnt as bad as someone made out on here that they walked out. (I think it was El G)
It had a pretty straightforward plot line, but eventually got a bit cliched with Daddy and Son issues.
Nonetheless a pretty average film, okay to watch. Wish they would have just kept it simple though and along the lines of the first few die hards. Too much effects IMO.

Franchise must surely be over now.

Some Octopus were harmed in the making of this movie:
[video=youtube;JH0cV8FcfV4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH0cV8FcfV4[/video]

Old Boy is immense, but has anyone seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance? It's the first film in the Vengeance Trilogy that Old Boy sits in the middle of, I prefer it.

Do people really consider the Oscars a mark of true quality?

No but it is nice when a movie I enjoyed wins the Best Picture Oscar (such as Argo, No Country For Old Men, Gladiator, Unforgiven, Platoon, The French Connection...) as the publicity will lead to a surge in box office takings / DVD sales and the people involved will find it easier to get funding for their next project.

Oldboy on Film4 at 11pm tonight...

One of my favourite movies too, the fight scene in the corridor is just epic! Not sure how Spike Lee' Hollywood remake is going to deal with some of the themes dealt with in the Korean original though...

Last edited:
No but it is nice when a movie I enjoyed wins the Best Picture Oscar (such as Argo, No Country For Old Men, Gladiator, Unforgiven, Platoon, The French Connection...) as the publicity will lead to a surge in box office takings / DVD sales and the people involved will find it easier to get funding for their next project.

Some fine calls there, sir

I am hoping Spike Lee will keep Oldboy true to the original. The last thing I want is Oldboy to be watered down, it needs to be as gritty the original. I'm quite intrigued in seeing how Oldboy starring Josh Brolin will be made into a movie about the unjust ways Blacks are treated in the USA. I'm just not a Spike Lee fan, I think Inside Man was the only movie of his I liked.

I am hoping Spike Lee will keep Oldboy true to the original. The last thing I want is Oldboy to be watered down, it needs to be as gritty the original. I'm quite intrigued in seeing how Oldboy starring Josh Brolin will be made into a movie about the unjust ways Blacks are treated in the USA. I'm just not a Spike Lee fan, I think Inside Man was the only movie of his I liked.

:lol:

Watched one of my 3 favourite films again the other day, The Usual Suspects. That film is so fudging brilliant it's untrue! The fact that you can watch it 10 or even 100 times and still not completely know what is going on is amazing. The film is like a puzzle and you don't know what or who to believe.

Back