• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

The Mininions..disappointing, one dimensional characters with a weak storyline, & all the appeal of the sound of a squeaky dog toy, that has been mauled by a rabid dog all morning. Sure at first, the squeaking might be entertaining as the dog plays with it's toy but then as you realise that that is it's only act, you quickly tire and reach for the earplugs.

Totally agree best bits were first ten minutes and last ten minutes

Jurassic World - 7/10 - Ultimately it was fun as you'd expect. Thought it was more a remake of the first film though whilst watching just modernized. I liked how they located the old park but was disappointed we didn't get Sam Neils hat reappear or even a leather jacket left behind by Malcolm. Wouldn't really watch again but I really enjoyed the ending.
Watched Jurassic World in IMAX and thought it was a decent summer blockbuster but could've done with less of those annoying kids and more dinosaurs fighting plus someone like Goldblum for those droll one liners - 6/10

Watched a few recently;

Interstellar - 9/10 - I know a lot of people don't like him but for me Nolan can do no wrong. Liked every single one of his movies and thought this was superb. I think he just gets the pacing of his films perfectly right and he makes huge films that are intelligent, unpredictable and mainly (at least in the acting) without sentimentality. This was a kind of blockbuster but just 100% better than all the feeble super hero and action film brick out there.

Gone Girl - 7/10 - Fairly entertaining but found the plot a bit implausible and wooden Affleck seemed to make a lot of the other actors (especially Rosamund Pike) wooden as well. It (in part) gave the whole film a kind of surrealism I found jarring.

While We're Young - 9/10 - Love the director's films and this one was great as usual. Glad to see Stiller is still making serious movies like this and not being a total sell out.

Jurassic World had one of the worst scripts I've witnessed. Every line was cringey cliches. CGI was good though, but I wouldn't watch it again

Watched a few recently;

Interstellar - 9/10 - I know a lot of people don't like him but for me Nolan can do no wrong. Liked every single one of his movies and thought this was superb. I think he just gets the pacing of his films perfectly right and he makes huge films that are intelligent, unpredictable and mainly (at least in the acting) without sentimentality. This was a kind of blockbuster but just 100% better than all the feeble super hero and action film crud out there.

Gone Girl - 7/10 - Fairly entertaining but found the plot a bit implausible and wooden Affleck seemed to make a lot of the other actors (especially Rosamund Pike) wooden as well. It (in part) gave the whole film a kind of surrealism I found jarring.

While We're Young - 9/10 - Love the director's films and this one was great as usual. Glad to see Stiller is still making serious movies like this and not being a total sell out.

I thought it was the worst film of Nolan's career and I'm a fan of his. I'm sure it's still ranked highly on IMDB though, he could make a film about sawdust and it would have have an average rating of 8.5 on that site.

I loved Gone Girl. One of the best films of last year.

I thought it was the worst film of Nolan's career and I'm a fan of his. I'm sure it's still ranked highly on IMDB though, he could make a film about sawdust and it would have have an average rating of 8.5 on that site.

I loved Gone Girl. One of the best films of last year.

You've got this backwards surely? Gone Girl was utterly horrible! Overacting and uber-corny to boot.

Interstellar wasn't all it's hyped up to be - but it was stimulating and well acted at least; far superior to that Gone Girl rubbish.. It did an absolute disservice to the novel.

First time I watched Interstellar, I thought it was good, second time I thought it was really good. Warrants a second viewing IMO if you're not sure.

Planning on going to watch Terminator Genisys next week.

No doubt i'm mugging myself again, but for those who have watched it i just want to know is it

a) better than Terminator Salvation
b) better than Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
c) as good as the Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles TV Series

No spoilers please! (Not that there is likely much more to the story than the official trailers...)

I get the feeling that it's rubbish. A quick check on IMDB shows that the public have rated the film an average of 7.1, out of 10. The critics have rated the film 39, out of 100. Now, as it's the Terminator series, even if it was half decent, people would be loving it. That the film only has the scores that it does, suggests that the film is a waste of time and saved, in voting terms, only by over enthusiasm on the part of some real Die Hard Terminator fans.

I could, of course, be wrong but, I have low expectations.

Watched Fury on sky tonight. Really liked it. It was a good Saturday night movie.

I tell you what as well, Shia Labeouf may be bat brick crazy but the guys a great actor imo.

You've got this backwards surely? Gone Girl was utterly horrible! Overacting and uber-corny to boot.

Interstellar wasn't all it's hyped up to be - but it was stimulating and well acted at least; far superior to that Gone Girl rubbish.. It did an absolute disservice to the novel.

Nah I got it right the first time. Interstellar was a load of guff. Far too long as well. The bit in the space bookcase was just ridiculous.

I loved Gone Girl, big fan of David Fincher.

Planning on going to watch Terminator Genisys next week.

No doubt i'm mugging myself again, but for those who have watched it i just want to know is it

a) better than Terminator Salvation
b) better than Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
c) as good as the Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles TV Series

No spoilers please! (Not that there is likely much more to the story than the official trailers...)

a) About the same. Probably a bit worse if anything.
b) No.
c) No.

I loved the first two films as I'm sure most people do and the tv series had its moments, but this one was too confusing with all the different timelines. And making John Connor the villian just makes no sense. I know you said no spoilers but the trailer doesn't hide this fact.

My other problem with it was they are just trying to hard to make Arnie a comedy figure. In the first film there was no humour as he was the killer, T2 had moments of comedy but they were justified, I know he's old now, but they're just making him into a joke now.

Further to my review above, I wish James Cameron would stop wasting his career with Avatar and make another Terminator already. From now on, I won't watch another one unless he is directing.

On Gone Girl, I tend to think Ben Affleck was perfectly cast because he's so wooden.

You never knew whether he was good or bad, whether he did it or not, whether he was a good husband or not. That was the whole point. Call it great acting or call it dumb luck but I thought he was great in it for those reasons.

I watched it knowing eff all about the movie. I love it when you watch a good movie like that which has a heap of twists and turns. Any other recommendations?

On Gone Girl, I tend to think Ben Affleck was perfectly cast because he's so wooden.

You never knew whether he was good or bad, whether he did it or not, whether he was a good husband or not. That was the whole point. Call it great acting or call it dumb luck but I thought he was great in it for those reasons.

I watched it knowing eff all about the movie. I love it when you watch a good movie like that which has a heap of twists and turns. Any other recommendations?

I think he's better than people give him credit for. Good Will Hunting is still his standout performance, but he has turned his career around since Gigli. You should check out Gone Baby Gone if you haven't already, top film. I would say he's probably a better director than he is an actor; Gone Baby Gone, The Town, Argo, all very good films.

a) About the same. Probably a bit worse if anything.
b) No.
c) No.

I loved the first two films as I'm sure most people do and the tv series had its moments, but this one was too confusing with all the different timelines. And making John Connor the villian just makes no sense. I know you said no spoilers but the trailer doesn't hide this fact.

My other problem with it was they are just trying to hard to make Arnie a comedy figure. In the first film there was no humour as he was the killer, T2 had moments of comedy but they were justified, I know he's old now, but they're just making him into a joke now.

That is shocking; i didn't think that was even possible:eek:

Salvation is infinitely better than the third one

Don't hold out much hope of the new one what with the 12A rating

That is shocking; i didn't think that was even possible:eek:

Don't get your get hopes up. Arnie must love playing that character because he must have enough money for 10 lifetimes, can't think of why else he would keep appearing in them. As I said previously, if James Cameron is not directing then I'm not interested.

Back