• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Well his life story made him out to be a cross between Mother Theresa and Jimmy Greaves

Unfortunately we all know he is a highlights player who looks electric for a moment and then looks rotten for weeks on end

When he breaks Chivers record it will also break my heart, no comparison in ability and brains between the two whatsoever, don`t dislike Defoe in anyway but he has not improved at all over the last ten years.

Defoe wants to stay at Spurs
Thursday 14th November 2013 7:50

Jermain Defoe is desperate to play more Premier League football but he insists he is not looking to leave Tottenham.

The England striker has made just one start in the league this season, and seven substitute appearances - and is yet to find the net.

That is in stark contrast to his form in the Europa League and Capital One Cup competitions, in which he has a combined nine goals in seven appearances.

Although Defoe is disappointed that he has not been called upon by Andre Villas-Boas more often, he insists he will not rock the boat at White Hart Lane.

"Of course it is frustrating that for all the goals, I have not had much of a chance in the Premier League," the 31-year-old told the Daily Express.

"Fans ask me all the time, but I don't need to tell anybody I am frustrated. That is just normal. People know I love my football, and I love scoring goals. When I am not getting the opportunity to do that, it is frustrating.

"But I have never once said I wanted to leave this football club."

Defoe has been sold by Spurs before, with Juande Ramos offloading him to Portsmouth for £6million in January 2008. Harry Redknapp brought him to Pompey and then when he took the Tottenham job, he ended up taking Defoe back to north London within 12 months.

"Even when I left the first time, I didn't say I wanted to leave the club," added Defoe. "All I will say is that I want to play.

"I would rather say to the gaffer, 'give me a chance'. I don't want to go to him and say, 'I am leaving the club'. I love the club and everybody knows that.

"I have got a special relationship with the fans and even when I left before, the club dentist called me during a Spurs game so I could hear the fans were still singing my name even when I was a Portsmouth player. I will never forget that.

"I came back and it has been great. If the day came when I have to go, it would be hard. All my friends are here and every game I play, when I put that shirt on, it feels like the first game."

----------------------------------------

He seems to love Spurs so much and wants to stay here forever ! Or maybe he lacks real ambition to go and play elsewhere ! Good for him but not sure if that is good for the club. Really disappointed he never fulfilled his real potential with us. Still remember about being in awe of him when he looked so clinical in front of goal in his first few matches for us. It is a pity he never kept that form consistently. The most disappointing thing about Defoe was he never once reached 20 goals in the league despite being with us for 9 long years. With him now 31, just can't see him being a regular for us anymore.

I think he thinks he can win back his place in the starting lineup. We'll see what happens in January if he's still warming the bench. Any chance of him playing in Brazil next summer will depend on him scoring premier league goals in the second half of this season.

Defoe wants to stay at Spurs
Thursday 14th November 2013 7:50

Jermain Defoe is desperate to play more Premier League football but he insists he is not looking to leave Tottenham.

The England striker has made just one start in the league this season, and seven substitute appearances - and is yet to find the net.

That is in stark contrast to his form in the Europa League and Capital One Cup competitions, in which he has a combined nine goals in seven appearances.

Although Defoe is disappointed that he has not been called upon by Andre Villas-Boas more often, he insists he will not rock the boat at White Hart Lane.

"Of course it is frustrating that for all the goals, I have not had much of a chance in the Premier League," the 31-year-old told the Daily Express.

"Fans ask me all the time, but I don't need to tell anybody I am frustrated. That is just normal. People know I love my football, and I love scoring goals. When I am not getting the opportunity to do that, it is frustrating.

"But I have never once said I wanted to leave this football club."

Defoe has been sold by Spurs before, with Juande Ramos offloading him to Portsmouth for £6million in January 2008. Harry Redknapp brought him to Pompey and then when he took the Tottenham job, he ended up taking Defoe back to north London within 12 months.

"Even when I left the first time, I didn't say I wanted to leave the club," added Defoe. "All I will say is that I want to play.

"I would rather say to the gaffer, 'give me a chance'. I don't want to go to him and say, 'I am leaving the club'. I love the club and everybody knows that.

"I have got a special relationship with the fans and even when I left before, the club dentist called me during a Spurs game so I could hear the fans were still singing my name even when I was a Portsmouth player. I will never forget that.

"I came back and it has been great. If the day came when I have to go, it would be hard. All my friends are here and every game I play, when I put that shirt on, it feels like the first game."

----------------------------------------

He seems to love Spurs so much and wants to stay here forever ! Or maybe he lacks real ambition to go and play elsewhere ! Good for him but not sure if that is good for the club. Really disappointed he never fulfilled his real potential with us. Still remember about being in awe of him when he looked so clinical in front of goal in his first few matches for us. It is a pity he never kept that form consistently. The most disappointing thing about Defoe was he never once reached 20 goals in the league despite being with us for 9 long years. With him now 31, just can't see him being a regular for us anymore.

He talks the talk....................

He talks the talk....................

Indeed... a decent impact sub / flat-track bully / cup player but he's never evolved into the all round striker we need if we're going to become Top 4 regulars... 90 goals in 270 Premier League games for us but only managed to score more than 15 league goals in a season the once (09/10 with almost a third of those coming in that 9-0 routing of Wigan)... just 11 goals scored in the past 2,600 minutes he's played of league football... at least his idol Ian Wright could back up his boasts with prolific goalscoring record in league as well as cup... on the upside, we've never had to worry about Defoe being poached by Madrid or ManU plus he's better than most of the dross we've had up front in the Premier League era...

Indeed... a decent impact sub / flat-track bully / cup player but he's never evolved into the all round striker we need if we're going to become Top 4 regulars... 90 goals in 270 Premier League games for us but only managed to score more than 15 league goals in a season the once (09/10 with almost a third of those coming in that 9-0 routing of Wigan)... just 11 goals scored in the past 2,600 minutes he's played of league football... at least his idol Ian Wright could back up his boasts with prolific goalscoring record in league as well as cup... on the upside, we've never had to worry about Defoe being poached by Madrid or ManU plus he's better than most of the dross we've had up front in the Premier League era...

Good summing up.

Good analysis. A good backup, but not good enough to nail down the starting role mainly down to his inconsistency and patches of good/bad form.

Wonder how much his age will start playing on his mind. If he stays he'll be 32 at the start of next season and in the last year of his contract.

Better to burn out (ripping it up on a 2-3 year deal at Fulham/QPR/Sunderland) than to fade away (as third choice getting a few runs out in the UEFA cup)?

I agree with this too.

The problem with JD is he's got some big pluses to his game, but just as many if not more weaknesses. He's a good player, but he'll never be a great player. I llike the guy and I love the fact he clearly loves Spurs, but the cold reality is that he's not good enough to be a Top 4 starter and he doesn't fit into AVB's preferred system. Squad player fine - but as his comments are suggesting... at his age and in a world cup year, that's not what he wants.

A transfer (loan maybe?) to someone like Fulham in Jan could be a decent call, but only if we can secure a quality replacement (probably unlikely). .

Last edited:
I think the problem with JD is he is playing in the wrong era, grew up watchign him as a kid (my brother was WH youth) and the guy was unstopable.

However he needs to play in the 4-4-2 to get the best out of him with the Big man and that is not modern football. 10-15 years ago he would have been top man.

I think the problem with JD is he is playing in the wrong era, grew up watchign him as a kid (my brother was WH youth) and the guy was unstopable.

However he needs to play in the 4-4-2 to get the best out of him with the Big man and that is not modern football. 10-15 years ago he would have been top man.

I agree, he needs a striking partner to be truly effective. The ulimate striker in AVB's system is one that combines the qualities of the two strikers in the 4-4-2. They can play with their back to goal, hold the ball up, physically compete in the box, drop off and link play up. and they can run in behind, take snap shots, finish cleverly. No wonder a striker like that is in big demand.

Most teams have to compromise. or play a complementary striker type player in the hole. Unfortunately, I think Soldado and Defoe are too one dimensional, too much of a compromise, and they are not complementary, either.

Well with only one league start all season at least the blame for our paltry 9 league goals cannot be heaped at his doorstep, and no he ain't no impact sub

Very true. I'm a big critic of his, but he'd've been awesome in the 80s or 90s. Not quite the same calibre as, but the same sort of ilk as, Ian Wright, Robbie Fowler and Andy Cole.

Agree. The 'progress' of tactics and formations has moved on and subsequently away from JDs best qualities. Undoubtedly better in a 2 upfront, BUT i will say that he has played the lone role far better than i ever thought he was capable of. As good as Soldado (although still early days for Bobby) and probably both would suffer with what is going on behind them. We sort that out and either would be in business.

Happy he's happy at spurs as it gives us a bit more leeway in f*cking him around before he finaly says enough is enough. He is a good goalscorer and have witnessed him many a time finish with such confidence and no shortage of ability, and remember we've had many a front man that we could not say that about.

Back