• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Scara and Gutterboy might like him cos he talks posh well not posh but not chavish like Sherwood.

To be honest this clubs if it wants to get the fans on side need someone with experience and a history. If not LVG then I would actually consider Rafa. The is something about FDB at Ajax I am not convinced about yet.
not just that he sounds posh when he speaks, but what he says actually makes sense and is understandable. There is clearly a brain in his head and he uses it.

ah a bit like AVBs brand then...yeah we dont want that again i suppose:)

no, we don't - obviously with AVB we hoped it would improve over time but iirc Liverpool were consistently boring teams to death under Benitez the whole time he was there

1.reut.jpg

not just that he sounds posh when he speaks, but what he says actually makes sense and is understandable. There is clearly a brain in his head and he uses it.

Rafael Benítez's rants over the years – from Mestalla to Middlesbrough

Furniture fury at Valencia; waving the flag for inter-club harmony at Liverpool; and lies, damned lies at Internazionale

Cryptic, sometimes scripted and occasionally witheringly direct, Chelsea's interim manager Rafael Benítez has studded his career with a series of outbursts, as was seen following Wednesday night's FA Cup victory at Middlesbrough.

May 2004: vexed in Valencia

With two La Liga titles under his belt, Benítez had established himself as one of the most coveted coaches in Europe but his time at the Mestalla ended sourly when he criticised the club's transfer policy. He wanted the striker Samuel Eto'o but was given a winger in Fabián Canobbio. "I was hoping for a sofa and they've brought me a lamp."

February 2007: upsetting the neighbours

"When you play against the smaller teams at Anfield, you know the game will be narrow," said Benítez, after a 0-0 draw with Everton. Perhaps underestimating the sensitivity of Liverpool's local rivals, he added: "One team was trying to win and the other team was trying not to lose. I have never played like that, and never did this at Valencia, maybe at [Spanish minnows] Extremadura."

May 2007: a man of principle

"I would never take [the Chelsea] job, in respect for Liverpool. We don't need to give away flags for our fans to wave – our supporters are always there with their hearts. It's the passion of the fans that helps to win matches – not flags."

January 2009: facts of the matter

Benítez reacted to a journalist querying Liverpool's nerve as the Premier League title race heated up by unfolding a piece of paper and announcing: "I want to talk about facts. During the Respect campaign – and this is a fact – [Sir Alex] Ferguson was charged by the FA for improper conduct after comments made about Martin Atkinson and Keith Hackett. He was not punished. He is the only manager in the league that cannot be punished for these things. If he wants to talk about fixtures, there are two options. One is the same as in Spain, the draw for the first part of the league is known. In the second half everyone plays the opposite. Or there is another option. That Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain."

November 2010: looking back in anger

By now Internazionale manager, Benítez bridled at criticism from Roy Hodgson, who had taken over at Liverpool and criticised the Spaniard's transfer dealings. "I think that Mr Hodgson, he doesn't understand. He is talking about things that he does not understand. Every single press conference is even worse than the last one. And some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar"

January 2013: pants on fire

Marco Materazzi claimed working under Benítez at Inter was like "being back at school" and that he had insisted on photographs of his predecessor José Mourinho being taken down. "He's lying," Benítez said. "Materazzi is lying. He's lying, just lying. Everything that he said is a lie. Simple. When he was talking [about] Mourinho, it's a lie. About the pictures, it's a lie. So he's a liar"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/feb/28/rafa-bentitez-rants-valencia-liverpool-internazionale

Rafael Benítez's rants over the years – from Mestalla to Middlesbrough

Furniture fury at Valencia; waving the flag for inter-club harmony at Liverpool; and lies, damned lies at Internazionale

Cryptic, sometimes scripted and occasionally witheringly direct, Chelsea's interim manager Rafael Benítez has studded his career with a series of outbursts, as was seen following Wednesday night's FA Cup victory at Middlesbrough.

May 2004: vexed in Valencia

With two La Liga titles under his belt, Benítez had established himself as one of the most coveted coaches in Europe but his time at the Mestalla ended sourly when he criticised the club's transfer policy. He wanted the striker Samuel Eto'o but was given a winger in Fabián Canobbio. "I was hoping for a sofa and they've brought me a lamp."

February 2007: upsetting the neighbours

"When you play against the smaller teams at Anfield, you know the game will be narrow," said Benítez, after a 0-0 draw with Everton. Perhaps underestimating the sensitivity of Liverpool's local rivals, he added: "One team was trying to win and the other team was trying not to lose. I have never played like that, and never did this at Valencia, maybe at [Spanish minnows] Extremadura."

May 2007: a man of principle

"I would never take [the Chelsea] job, in respect for Liverpool. We don't need to give away flags for our fans to wave – our supporters are always there with their hearts. It's the passion of the fans that helps to win matches – not flags."

January 2009: facts of the matter

Benítez reacted to a journalist querying Liverpool's nerve as the Premier League title race heated up by unfolding a piece of paper and announcing: "I want to talk about facts. During the Respect campaign – and this is a fact – [Sir Alex] Ferguson was charged by the FA for improper conduct after comments made about Martin Atkinson and Keith Hackett. He was not punished. He is the only manager in the league that cannot be punished for these things. If he wants to talk about fixtures, there are two options. One is the same as in Spain, the draw for the first part of the league is known. In the second half everyone plays the opposite. Or there is another option. That Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain."

November 2010: looking back in anger

By now Internazionale manager, Benítez bridled at criticism from Roy Hodgson, who had taken over at Liverpool and criticised the Spaniard's transfer dealings. "I think that Mr Hodgson, he doesn't understand. He is talking about things that he does not understand. Every single press conference is even worse than the last one. And some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar"

January 2013: pants on fire

Marco Materazzi claimed working under Benítez at Inter was like "being back at school" and that he had insisted on photographs of his predecessor José Mourinho being taken down. "He's lying," Benítez said. "Materazzi is lying. He's lying, just lying. Everything that he said is a lie. Simple. When he was talking [about] Mourinho, it's a lie. About the pictures, it's a lie. So he's a liar"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/feb/28/rafa-bentitez-rants-valencia-liverpool-internazionale

i was talking about Eddie Howe

genuine question: am i the only one who doesn't even care who our manager is anymore, but just wishes we would stick with one and give them a chance?

i think whatever approach it is that Levy decides to take this summer, we HAVE to stick with it... whether it's stick with Sherwood or LVG or whoever... give them time and plenty of it, rome wasn't built in a day...

Look at Brendan Rodgers, he was told he would have time at Liverpool, took a few steps backwards in his first season and he has now turned them into genuine title contenders! Why must we always set expectations so high in a manager's early reign? Obviously I want to see us in the top four and challenging for the title, I certainly don't lack ambition for the club, but if the board and management come out and said "look we know where the supporters want to be, we'll get there but it's going to take a couple of seasons to restrutcure" i wouldn't like the thought of 6th and below, but i could accept it. Where has this culture of sacking a manager every time something starts to go a bit pear-shaped got us? Nowhere!

I am 22, and cannot really remember us ever being any other way, so PLEASE, let's choose our manager, set reasonable expectations, give them time to build their squad and playing systems, and see where it gets us

Standard reckon Spartak Moscow have moved to make Van Gaal a massive offer to be their manager after the world cup.

I'm not sure that at 63 years of age heading off to Moscow would be that appealing, however much cash they have. That said, these Dutch Galactico coaches do like their guilders.

But no, I think if we want LvG we'll get him, barring the United or Arsenal jobs coming up, which I really don't think will happen.

Benítez is nothing if not a pragmatist, in my estimation, and given Levy's transfer policy, barring the emergence of another Bale from the youth ranks, I think it likelier than not that would lead to our adopting a dour and defensive style of play again. He may or may not be likely to get better results with it than AVB, but I can't see it going down very well in the longer term.

The only two that I would want are Van Gaal or Prandelli. Since Prandelli signed a new deal with Italy, Van Gaal is surely the top choice. I would be so excited for next season if we had a manager of that quality leading our team.

In the end I did want Harry to go when he did. He reached his peak imo and proved he didn't have the nous/hard-working ethic to carry us on after he blew 3rd place.

However, as well as the football played (mostly) I liked the fact that we had an English manager (albeit one stuck in his ways a little in terms of tactics etc) and the best one around at that time. It marked us out a little from other top 4 challengers/competitors imo.

If we were to decide to go native and employ the best most progressive English coach currently, who would people opt for?

There is so many reasons why LVG is perfect for us (likes to work with what hes got, plays with set priciples and concepts, plays 433, will have no big names to question him - other than Ade maybe)
BUT..
I would want LVG purely because his effect will last even after hes gone. the fact that he has been at barca and bayern, to bring that experience and knowledge through our doors - everybody from the board to the staff down to the players will learn from him. We'd have inside information on what its like to win at barca and bayern, advanced tatics and winning mentality. the air about the place will be different. we have never carried ourselves like champions before (EPL era) but we'd have a new outlook and go on to the pitch every game like winners which after a while will be become habit. It could change the direction of the club forever
Even if there are technically better "managers" available LVG's presence will raise our profile, stature and mentality like no other.
Mentally - mourinho changed chelsea, wenger changed arsenal, fergy changed united. lvg could change us. its possible!

Last edited:
In the end I did want Harry to go when he did. He reached his peak imo and proved he didn't have the nous/hard-working ethic to carry us on after he blew 3rd place.

However, as well as the football played (mostly) I liked the fact that we had an English manager (albeit one stuck in his ways a little in terms of tactics etc) and the best one around at that time. It marked us out a little from other top 4 challengers/competitors imo.

If we were to decide to go native and employ the best most progressive English coach currently, who would people opt for?

Nigel Adkins, probably. The 'player-whisperer', great motivational coach and sets his sides up to attack first and foremost. Took Soton up from League One to the Premier League in consecutive seasons. Bit shaky defensively, but overall a decent boss, imo.
If not him, then I'd probably give the job to Paul Clement, Madrid's assistant manager. Worked with Ancelotti at first PSG and then Real, so hopefully he's picked up a lot. Comes across as very progressive in the interviews he gives, and you don't get to be an assistant manager at Real Madrid and PSG without at least some level of nous and awareness.

The field is rather sparse, though. LvG or Rafa would rank miles above either candidate. But that's the nature of English managerial talent at the moment.

genuine question: am i the only one who doesn't even care who our manager is anymore, but just wishes we would stick with one and give them a chance?

i think whatever approach it is that Levy decides to take this summer, we HAVE to stick with it... whether it's stick with Sherwood or LVG or whoever... give them time and plenty of it, rome wasn't built in a day...

Look at Brendan Rodgers, he was told he would have time at Liverpool, took a few steps backwards in his first season and he has now turned them into genuine title contenders! Why must we always set expectations so high in a manager's early reign? Obviously I want to see us in the top four and challenging for the title, I certainly don't lack ambition for the club, but if the board and management come out and said "look we know where the supporters want to be, we'll get there but it's going to take a couple of seasons to restrutcure" i wouldn't like the thought of 6th and below, but i could accept it. Where has this culture of sacking a manager every time something starts to go a bit pear-shaped got us? Nowhere!

I am 22, and cannot really remember us ever being any other way, so PLEASE, let's choose our manager, set reasonable expectations, give them time to build their squad and playing systems, and see where it gets us

I'm mostly in agreement. As long as the manager has a decent pedigree (i.e, has proven capable of managing a club our size or above to glory before), I don't particularly care who it is as long as we give them a nice long contract (4 years at least), a negative net spend in their first transfer window and a declaration that come what may, said manager would be staying for at least two seasons, if not more.

Hell, I'd even be okay with Sherwood staying, but only if he garners 18 points from the next 6 games.

That is indeed the problem. That by-and-large English coaches are still being schooled very much in the dark ages. Or they just replicate the way they were coached in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Adkins, McDermott, Hoddle, Hodgson, Hughton (technically Irish), possibly McClaren, are all moving towards the right direction or were near the cutting edge a decade ago. But there's no strong candidate.

I think part of our problem is that we just hand the reins to ex-players, with no preparation. A lot of European coaches do degrees in sports science or sports psychology, before they get anywhere near the practical stuff.

Last edited:

one man, one love
_67641215_howe.jpg

Back