• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yeah, I didn't agree with the timmeh decision at the time but the league results have been good so far and that's all I really care about

not that I'm not concerned that we were totally outclassed by arsenal and haven't played anyone decent in the league since he took over, the city game is huge

yeah, I didn't agree with the timmeh decision at the time but the league results have been good so far and that's all I really care about

not that I'm not concerned that we were totally outclassed by arsenal and haven't played anyone decent in the league since he took over, the city game is huge

Man United and Southampton are not decent? I wouldn't say we were totally outclassed by Arsenal either. The balance of play was pretty even imo they just took their chances and benefited from a howler from Rose

Man United and Southampton are not decent? I wouldn't say we were totally outclassed by Arsenal either. The balance of play was pretty even imo they just took their chances and benefited from a howler from Rose

Outclassed might have been a poor choice of word, but IMO the all round manner of the performance and defeat was extremely poor.

Outclassed might have been a poor choice of word, but IMO the all round manner of the performance and defeat was extremely poor.

I thought both teams looked really fatigued understandable for the holiday period, it was disappointing but let's be realistic going to the library we were not likely to get a result especially with our injury list at the moment

Sense being code for dull, ****ney cliches?

So sad that your views constitute a large portion of current tottenhan fans, ****ing pathetic.

Thanks for that Stenno...

So sad that we never get any views from you other than disagreeing with someone and generally being obnoxious.

Lets have a detailed paragraph from you as to why we should disrupt everything thing again and appoint a third manager this season.....why is Pocchettino WORTH going for????? or is it because he is flavour of the month???

Very early days to judge Timmy really but I am happy with what I have heard and seen so far. he has talked Sense in his press conferences and post match interviews, I have enjoyed them and its nice to see a bit of personality rather than typical football cliche's.

Take yourself down the Nuclear sub mate and down an Aristottle of Martin Samuels to cheer you up.

Pochettino speaks English

Not in Press Conferences which is what I mentioned in my original post.

But thank you for contradicting one of my posts again, im really enjoying it at the moment.

and yes I know he talks English to his players!!! I dont want our club in turmoil appointing a another authority figure. what has Tim done wrong so far???

If I am going to be accused of narrow minded little england mentality where I just want an english manager thats not the case!!!! I could accuse others of having a foreign coach mentality.

Bottom line Tim deserves a chance and appointing annother manager now would be daft!!! evaluate in summer if Timmy comes up short.

So sad that we never get any views from you other than disagreeing with someone and generally being obnoxious.

Lets have a detailed paragraph from you as to why we should disrupt everything thing again and appoint a third manager this season.....why is Pocchettino WORTH going for????? or is it because he is flavour of the month???

Very early days to judge Timmy really but I am happy with what I have heard and seen so far. he has talked Sense in his press conferences and post match interviews, I have enjoyed them and its nice to see a bit of personality rather than typical football cliche's.

Take yourself down the Nuclear sub mate and down an Aristottle of Martin Samuels to cheer you up.

This is exactly what I think Pochettino is: the flavour of the month. He's managed to build a pretty, well-drilled side, but he had both a blank cheque and unlimited support from Cortese to do so. And even after all that, this pretty, well-drilled side of his lost to 'Ave A Go Tim and his anachronistic 4-4-2 without ever really looking like being able to stem the tide after that equalizer went in. Pochettino's got a long way to go before he's even remotely close to being 'proven' in my book.

This is exactly what I think Pochettino is: the flavour of the month. He's managed to build a pretty, well-drilled side, but he had both a blank cheque and unlimited support from Cortese to do so. And even after all that, this pretty, well-drilled side of his lost to 'Ave A Go Tim and his anachronistic 4-4-2 without ever really looking like being able to stem the tide after that equalizer went in. Pochettino's got a long way to go before he's even remotely close to being 'proven' in my book.

To be fair, Wanyama, Osvaldo and Lovren is hardly blank cheque spending. It's targeted spending on areas he thought he could improve and knew the types of players he wanted. Plus, I don't think the fact he has been supported by the chairman is in any way a bad thing. I think they are an absolute model of how to run a club in the English league.

Martinez has been talking about it recently too, saying a DOF doesn't really work over here. I think the key is to have a strategy, trust the coach to handle the football side and get the players he needs. The coach has to value the youth players and to further enhance the long term strategy, if the coach does leave you replace him with a similar ethos.

I feel like Levy has tried so hard for this structure to ensure long term continuity but he's gone about it in the most complicated of ways. All of a sudden Swansea come up and slap him in the face with their good planning. They will do well long term because their chairman hires the same type of manager. Levy is worried about lurching from one type to another but all he needs to do is make the right hire and it shouldn't be a problem.

To be fair, Wanyama, Osvaldo and Lovren is hardly blank cheque spending. It's targeted spending on areas he thought he could improve and knew the types of players he wanted. Plus, I don't think the fact he has been supported by the chairman is in any way a bad thing. I think they are an absolute model of how to run a club in the English league.

Martinez has been talking about it recently too, saying a DOF doesn't really work over here. I think the key is to have a strategy, trust the coach to handle the football side and get the players he needs. The coach has to value the youth players and to further enhance the long term strategy, if the coach does leave you replace him with a similar ethos.

I feel like Levy has tried so hard for this structure to ensure long term continuity but he's gone about it in the most complicated of ways. All of a sudden Swansea come up and slap him in the face with their good planning. They will do well long term because their chairman hires the same type of manager. Levy is worried about lurching from one type to another but all he needs to do is make the right hire and it shouldn't be a problem.

Levy's big mistake is backing away from his DoF system too quickly during times of uncertainty, imo. In 2008, Harry made it crystal clear that he would not work with Commolli: in a flash, Commolli was gone. Last month, AVB had to be sacked: instead of trusting Baldini to find a replacement, however, Levy rushed to appoint his own man Sherwood who now seems set on a 4-4-1-1/4-4-2 system that shunts most of the players bought in the summer (Who were chosen for their ability to fit into AVB's 4-2-3-1/4-3-3) into either unfamiliar positions or the unwanted list.

It is clear that Levy wants a DoF to ensure long-term stability. But in order to keep the side on the same track that Baldini was brought in to oversee, Levy needed to distance himself from the transfer committee entirely and let Baldini choose the successor to AVB, in order to obtain a manager (and possibly new players) that fit into the system AVB was trying to implement (slow tempo, controlled possession, bursts of activity, etcetera). Instead, Levy couldn't let go, and we ended up with Sherwood as the coach and murmurs of most of our expensive summer recruits either wanting to leave or wanting more game time as Sherwood inevitably started to trust his own youth-team players more than established internationals.

Even our 'transfer committee' was skewed in favour of Levy continuing to maintain control: likely not satisfied with just a veto on the process (he was the chairman, after all), it was very probably Levy that insisted on having Tim on the committee as well, which meant AVB and Baldini were always facing down Tim and Levy, evenly splitting the committee and ensuring Levy a massive say on which players ended up coming to the club.

I'm not saying having Levy overseeing everything is necessarily bad: he's a decent administrator and a gifted book-keeper. But if he wanted the stability that Swansea have, for example, he needed to trust Baldini with both player recruitment and managerial appointments. That's what he's thee for: to forge a long-term system that eventually runs flawlessly even if the cogs within (managerial cogs included) are replaced frequently. That requires trust in the system you want and a lot of time afforded to the DoF to implement said system: four, five years at the least.

I don't think the DoF system failed in England: I think chairmen have taken it upon themselves to act as DoFs with varying degrees of success (Swansea good, Tottenham (?) bad) and I think boards have given the few DoFs they did directly appoint too little time (Commolli at both Liverpool and Spurs, and now seemingly Baldini with ourselves again) before ditching the abortive project in favour of returning to more tried and tested 'English' managerial methods that have managed to bring relative success due to the fast and fluid nature of English football, which makes long-term trends very difficult to observe.

Give a (good) DoF power over managerial appointments and transfers. Set him a vision: this is how we the board want this club to play. Then let him shape the system, results be damned for the first couple of years. Then, and only then, note the results. Is there an Arsenal-like system in place? Is the team performing regardless of who manages it and the length of time players spend playing in it? Is there a 'brand' of football the club has become known for? These are the indicators of success, and they will not come quickly.

Sacking AVB was ultimately somewhat justifiable: we all (at least partially) got the system he was trying to implement, but his implementation of it was going horribly wrong somewhere and, given the comparison between his performance and the performance of, say Brendan Rodgers (signed at the same time as AVB, handed less of a warchest, still managed to get his team playing brilliantly), sacking the man was probably best. However, that doesn't mean everything he was trying had to be thrown out the window: a manager told to continue AVB's possession-based style (of course while being afforded space for a few tweaks of his own) would have kept us on the development track in terms of acclimatizing the players and staff to the long-term system. And if rumors are to be believed, that's what Baldini was trying to do: find a manager who could continue the development of the long-term style AVB was trying to implement, if the links to Spalletti and Enrique were anything to go by.

However, Levy panicked, lost his nerve and put Sherwood in the role permanently. It might work out, certainly. It might not. But it has provided no end of material to bash the DoF system with, which is unfair given that (imo) the DoF system has never been given a chance to succeed in this country.

Not in Press Conferences which is what I mentioned in my original post.

But thank you for contradicting one of my posts again, im really enjoying it at the moment.

and yes I know he talks English to his players!!! I dont want our club in turmoil appointing a another authority figure. what has Tim done wrong so far???

If I am going to be accused of narrow minded little england mentality where I just want an english manager thats not the case!!!! I could accuse others of having a foreign coach mentality.

Bottom line Tim deserves a chance and appointing annother manager now would be daft!!! evaluate in summer if Timmy comes up short.

Sorry that you feel like that. I am not intentionally singling you out.

instead of trusting Baldini to find a replacement, however, Levy rushed to appoint his own man Sherwood.

We've got no idea how involved Baldini was in the decision to appoint Sherwood. It has been widely reported that he was heavily involved in the decision to part company with AVB, so it would be strange if he was not consulted on his replacement.

Would like Tim to be given a chance to succeed although the odds are heavily stacked against him. Agree with those saying pochetino is flavour of the month. He may prove to be a very good manager and he has done well so far but he is still relatively unproven. In that sense he doesn't offer any more than Tim.

Sorry that you feel like that. I am not intentionally singling you out.

No need to appologise.....Not the best of days at work and the other half is giving me ballache......just ignore me.....

you wouldn't single me out?????? am I not important enough for you???? geez!!!!

no problem dude.......nothing to see here, move along people.

No need to appologise.....Not the best of days at work and the other half is giving me ballache......just ignore me.....

you wouldn't single me out?????? am I not important enough for you???? geez!!!!

no problem dude.......nothing to see here, move along people.

I should have guessed that it is your time of the month ;)

We've got no idea how involved Baldini was in the decision to appoint Sherwood. It has been widely reported that he was heavily involved in the decision to part company with AVB, so it would be strange if he was not consulted on his replacement.

Agreed. I am always amazed how fans post as if they know the inner workings of the club first hand.

It has also been widely reported that there was a significant struggle for influence between Baldini and Sherwood, and that Baldini was seeking talks with Enrique and Spalletti at the same time that Levy was trying to secure Sherwood's place at the helm. It was mostly the same reporters that said Baldini was behind AVB's sacking, so if you believe one, you must by extension believe the other.

As fans, we cannot but rely on reporters revealing fragments of the club's inner workings and assume them to be true, because we get next to nothing from the club anyway. Even the THST was apparently blanked by Levy and co. recently when they asked about both the circumstances behind AVB's sacking and the progress over the new stadium. It's sad that there is this level of secrecy (again, look at Germany and their fan ownership model for examples of how to keep fans fully up to date on most of the club's workings without compromising too much on said club's competitiveness), but that's what we have to live with and make sense of.

If fans were solely required to comment on what they knew as absolute certainties, then this forum would be dead except for a brief spurt of activity on matchday when the team sheets are released and another spurt of activity once the game is concluded. My assertions on Levy's blanking of Baldini come from the likes of Jason Burt and Henry Winter suggesting that was the case, and I see no reason to doubt them given the scarcity of available information that points to the contrary.

I should have guessed that it is your time of the month ;)

You should see me when spurs play. you get off lightly.

My partner truly despairs...........she says im scary........though recently she laughed her ass off and reminded me of something I said when utd scored to make it 1-2 just after I was on my knees fist pumping at Eriksens goal......

I said 'FFS typical spurs, just when you think you can get your d**k out and start waving it around you have to put it away again' I slammed the door and went out for a cig.....when I came back in she didnt know whether to laugh or not speak to me for the rest of the night.

Dont worry Im gonna wait for you to get really passionate about something then im just gonna poo poo it......watch this space....how dare you suggest I am surfing the crimson wave.

:ross:

Ah you fell into the trap. I myself have done the same thing. You are correct of course. Sherwood is doing a good job so far, whether he will be our manager next season is another matter.

Back