• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

On a side note I just dont see how a conte appointment will work with our budget. It looks from the outside that it will inevitably end in tears with conte resigning in less than 18 months.

I'm with you on that. I think his football is more entertaining than Jose's (how couldnt it be?) so from that perspective its an improvement, however from the perspective of Conte's fit with the club's spending power (or his necessity to have spending power) he feels as ill-suited as Jose did.

No, it's the guy sky are routing because there's nothing new on poch.
And without anything new they have to make stuff up.

It just goes to show that the guy in charge of the appointment don't really have much of a clue. Conte will essentially be a Mourinho 2.0 - there's no way he'll work well for us. It will basically be Levy doing the same mistake twice.

Isn’t Romano supposed to be the go to for itk?

Interesting quote from Eriksen on Conte...

“I came with an open mind to learn. What I didn’t understand at first was that I always had to follow Conte’s system. That I had to perform and remember all the plays that he had prepared for the team. Previously, I was more used to intuition, I was free to make my own decisions in a split second based on what I saw. With Conte, there is always a general plan that we need to follow. You have to prepare well, always know where your teammates are and where they can move to."

“I came with an open mind to learn. What I didn’t understand at first was that I always had to follow Conte’s system. That I had to perform and remember all the plays that he had prepared for the team. Previously, I was more used to intuition, I was free to make my own decisions in a split second based on what I saw. With Conte, there is always a general plan that we need to follow. You have to prepare well, always know where your teammates are and where they can move to."

Can we get him back?

Bit disappointed with the prospect of Conte after the Poch talk. Think Conte is a top manager but he's not Poch. I also have concerns around how he fits with Levy's end of season statement and how we operate as a club. But compared to some of the names being mentioned, he's streets ahead and if Poch hadn't been mentioned, I'd probably be very happy with Conte.

If he comes, he has my full support anyway.

Just on this quote:
Conte sounds like Mourinho who lost the dressing room because the players wouldn't or couldn't do what he wanted.
On the other hand Poch sounds like Harry with his go-out-there-and-run-about agenda

Conte is a very good coach, and the comparisons with Mourinho are a bit off for me.

The year Chelsea won the league with Conte, they were second top scorers behind us by one goal. He has also just won the league in Italy, there is no indication of his career being on a downward trajectory like Mourinho.

He also worked on a budget at Inter and was successful, and with the rumours of Paratici coming aswell this is all positive.

I understand for some it will feel a bit of a comedown from their fantasy of Poch returning, but this could easily work out better for this current squad most of which Poch still has an affiliation with. Timing wise having Conte for a couple of years before exploring the opportunity of Poch coming back could be for the best, something doesnt feel right about him coming so soon. And Conte is a coach we should not be turning our noses up at by any stretch of the imagination.....

I agreed with giving Jose a chance - knives out before a ball kicked is just silly.

But that is different to a conversation around Poch - a guy who has already proven himself to be a near miracle worker at our club. Again: Champions League final, regular CL, no signings for 18 months, 2 years at Wembley, every player playing the best football of their career to that point under him.

I don’t think anyone is above criticism but I’ve seen a few things on Twitter about the subs before 70 mins thing and the fact that he won no trophies with us, and I just think it is ridiculous. Such minor, minor points in the grand scheme of things when you consider one of the best managers in the world loves this club so much that he will turn down the finances and the squad and the guarantee of CL football to come to us. We should be grateful. You may disagree, you may not think he’s a living legend but I think we need to really remember where we were before he arrived and what he did for us. That he called for the kind of rebuild, the sale of players etc 2 years before he was sacked and was proven right means he deserves this chance. He more than deserves it anyway, he’s proven himself over 5 years, and deserves to be backed. And I do think we should all get behind him. He’s a special person, who for some reason loves this club, and he’s also one of the best modern managers in the game. We really should be so lucky.

I appreciate your devotion for the man, but I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye on this subjet (and I realise I'm the one who keeps on quoting you). Past successes mean nothing to me, at this club or anywhere else. Managers are just regular people in my eyes and there's no such thing as a miracle worker, particularly in these days. The person I consider closest to being a genius, in footballing terms, would be Cruyff with Sacchi a close second. And even to them, I wouldn't give total freedom if they were managing Spurs.

Pochettino did very well for a time here and then he didn't do so well. It's as simple as that. Reading your post, one would believe we were fighting relegation when he came in. That's not exactly the case: we were on a upward trajectory. He drove us a little further but a 'miracle' would have meant winning a title, something we, unfortunately, never did. I'm not dismissing his achievements at all but nobody can live on past glories in today's game.

As for calling the painful rebuild, pardon me if I'm not impressed with his vision. I wasn't posting at the time, but I always felt there was only one guy at this club who didn't see the need for a massive turnover - unfortunately, it's Levy.

What bugs me with your (and other's) line of thinking is that it's a given that Pochettino can't do anything wrong. Therefore, if/when things turn sour, we'll have to go through a litany of excuses and explanation. It will be everybody's fault but his. I'll never accept that there's only one man who can lead this club to success.

I like the fact that rumours suggest that its Conte and Fabio Practice ...

Beppe Marotta was the impressive guy at Juve. The squad has completely disintegrated since Paratici took over, hence why he was let go. While Marotta went on to build Conte's league winning side at Inter. Paratici is the Rebrov of the partnership

I appreciate your devotion for the man, but I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye on this subjet (and I realise I'm the one who keeps on quoting you). Past successes mean nothing to me, at this club or anywhere else. Managers are just regular people in my eyes and there's no such thing as a miracle worker, particularly in these days. The person I consider closest to being a genius, in footballing terms, would be Cruyff with Sacchi a close second. And even to them, I wouldn't give total freedom if they were managing Spurs.

Pochettino did very well for a time here and then he didn't do so well. It's as simple as that. Reading your post, one would believe we were fighting relegation when he came in. That's not exactly the case: we were on a upward trajectory. He drove us a little further but a 'miracle' would have meant winning a title, something we, unfortunately, never did. I'm not dismissing his achievements at all but nobody can live on past glories in today's game.

As for calling the painful rebuild, pardon me if I'm not impressed with his vision. I wasn't posting at the time, but I always felt there was only one guy at this club who didn't see the need for a massive turnover - unfortunately, it's Levy.

What bugs me with your (and other's) line of thinking is that it's a given that Pochettino can't do anything wrong. Therefore, if/when things turn sour, we'll have to go through a litany of excuses and explanation. It will be everybody's fault but his. I'll never accept that there's only one man who can lead this club to success.

Missed the note? = it will be Levy's

This is typical levy. Think of it like the olympic stadium bid.
Our preference was to stay in tottenham (get poch in.
The powers that be were being difficult (psg in this case).
So he bids for the os (conte).
A threat has to be believable that you will follow through and for levy he would.
Powers that be cave.
Levy gets his way.

Doesn't always work. Sure some will have examples where it hasn't.
But this is his mo. Psg don't give in we get conte they are left with an unhappy manager that everyone including the players know doesn't want to be there.

Psg's move. Unless conte says no.

I don't think Poch will be coming, not really seen credible links or quotes. Just lots of hype on twitter.

No idea who it is but hopefully we get on with it soon, there's a lot of work that needs to happen this summer.

‘Didn’t do so well’ is doing a lot of work in your post IMO, considering the Wembley move, the no signings for 18 months, allowing contracts to run down etc etc. We were always a nearly club when he joined and he took us to the Champions League final. We were one game from a miracle, IMO.

Anyway, seems like we are going very seriously down the Conte route. I guess Spurs DNA doesn’t mean that much after all. But I guess hiring a DOF is an admission that Levy shouldn’t be the one handling things on the football side, which is a positive.

I am intrigued by Conte. If our squad thought Jose was too mean with his hams for Christmas and grandad Instagram posts, I absolutely would love to see what they make of Conte. He could actually be quite useful for our squad, and the rocket that we need. Won with Inter with many players who haven’t won anything big before, which is good. And I think the football will be more enjoyable than people are assuming. And I think the squad is probably quite well set up for his wingback system (although we need a fudge tonne more centre backs to make it work).

I don’t hate it. I’m intrigued.

This is typical levy. Think of it like the olympic stadium bid.
Our preference was to stay in tottenham (get poch in.
The powers that be were being difficult (psg in this case).
So he bids for the os (conte).
A threat has to be believable that you will follow through and for levy he would.
Powers that be cave.
Levy gets his way.

Doesn't always work. Sure some will have examples where it hasn't.
But this is his mo. Psg don't give in we get conte they are left with an unhappy manager that everyone including the players know doesn't want to be there.

Psg's move. Unless conte says no.

Might be this. Interesting that the line was seemingly briefed to all good journos at the same time. Suggests either Spurs genuinely want the fan base to be kept informed of a big name manager coming in (and with Madrid off the table, they feel comfortable they could get him if they want) or it suggests they want to flush Poch out from PSG.

PSG are basically gambling that Poch is a better fit for them than Conte. It’s a very interesting game of chicken this. I’m almost glad for Poch that he is seen to be doing a good job with high profile players. But this just overall looks a bit backwards - Conte suits them and Poch suits us.

Back