• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

The Eriksen quote on Conte is interesting and suggests a manager that may actually suit us more than people think. He has a system that he expects players to follow, and if they do, the results will come. This is different from the Jose method of giving players responsibility and expecting them to use their intuition. Jose's method works with great players who can handle that pressure and who have been there and done it. Clearly Conte has worked with bigger players too, but I think his approach could actually work with us.

I think there are two benefits - that his personality will be a rocket to players that have gotten way too comfortable. And that his system can lead to some consistency in performance and help us overachieve when we don't have the biggest finances.

The drawback is - he is likely gone in 2 years, 3 absolute tops. He is also leaving Inter because they couldn't invest. So if we have any designs on building a Spurs DNA, and having that DNA being our competitive advantage, it is very likely that we have to start that process again in 2-3 years. Maybe that's ok - maybe Conte gets us a trophy or two in that time. But it feels like a gamble, something opportunistic, and not entirely a strategy. That his system can work is good strategically for us. That he might be gone pretty soon, isn't.

Will be interesting to see where this lands.

We have a number of players to sell and buy. I don't think appointing a manager just before pre season is giving the new man enough time to get the squad shaped as he would want.
You don't need a manager for that. You need a DoF. Although, granted, you would want the manager's input.

Levy :
"We shall focus on the recruitment of a new Head Coach. We are acutely aware of the need to select someone whose values reflect those of our great Club and return to playing football with the style for which we are known – free-flowing, attacking and entertaining – whilst continuing to embrace our desire to see young players flourish from our Academy alongside experienced talent."

So much for that then. Lies again.

Also Conte is not the guy for a rebuild.
He won with what he was given at Chelsea. Took 14 players who never got injured and played them every game in a season with no european football. And they won the league.

Spurs will never have that injury luck his title win was built upon. We are Spurs.

However we will have the luck his signings that next summer had. He got rid of Diego Costa and Matic. And brought in absolute garbage. Emerson, Morata, Barkley, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Emerson. Conte finished 5th with with 352 being worked out by everyone in the Premier League.

This is the guy Levy wants running the rebuild?
I mean, technically, we don't have European football either. :p

The Eriksen quote on Conte is interesting and suggests a manager that may actually suit us more than people think. He has a system that he expects players to follow, and if they do, the results will come. This is different from the Jose method of giving players responsibility and expecting them to use their intuition. Jose's method works with great players who can handle that pressure and who have been there and done it. Clearly Conte has worked with bigger players too, but I think his approach could actually work with us.

I think there are two benefits - that his personality will be a rocket to players that have gotten way too comfortable. And that his system can lead to some consistency in performance and help us overachieve when we don't have the biggest finances.

The drawback is - he is likely gone in 2 years, 3 absolute tops. He is also leaving Inter because they couldn't invest. So if we have any designs on building a Spurs DNA, and having that DNA being our competitive advantage, it is very likely that we have to start that process again in 2-3 years. Maybe that's ok - maybe Conte gets us a trophy or two in that time. But it feels like a gamble, something opportunistic, and not entirely a strategy. That his system can work is good strategically for us. That he might be gone pretty soon, isn't.

Will be interesting to see where this lands.
I don't get this DNA thing. Our DNA should be to win. If we have the most talented attacking players we outscore our opponents. If we have the most talented defensive players, we win by not conceding. I don't think we buy players based on the club's "DNA." We buy them to fit whatever system the manager at the time is employing.

I don't get this DNA thing. Our DNA should be to win. If we have the most talented attacking players we outscore our opponents. If we have the most talented defensive players, we win by not conceding. I don't think we buy players based on the club's "DNA." We buy them to fit whatever system the manager at the time is employing.

Sure - but we aren't going to be able to buy the best (or most proven) attacking or defensive players. So I look at DNA as how we get alignment across the club to compete with clubs willing to invest more money. It's a style of football, a culture, a method of improving players, it's something that everyone from ownership to fans can buy into, because that's really our only chance of competing.

I just want us to stop viewing managers like miracle workers in and of themselves. There is structure and support they need, and there is the competitive environment external to the club. Conte may actually be more suited than most think, but I'm not sure he's someone we hire to build on. So I think it means we either now have to start acting like a bigger club financially, or at some point we are going to have to build this DNA back, IMO.

auh822e8iv271.png

Looking at social media, nobody has a chance if Poch doesn’t get the job. Anyone mentioned is being written off before they even get close. Talk about a poisoned chalice

Some load of bollox that but discussions and debate are becoming less nuanced and are a zero sum game on social media. If you want Poch, you have to reject Conte and vice versa.

There are arguments for and against any coach including Poch. Fact remains that on paper, these two are better than a lot of names that were being linked.

I'm looking forward to singing "Antonio, Antonio!" at Chelsea chavs, as we exit Wembley, after stuffing them in a Cup Semi or Final. Revenge would be nice for a change!

I like the idea of Conte. Voted for Poch but it was a tough call with Conte. I think he'd relish managing in our stadium. A manager who loves the limelight and stepping up. He's also probably more interesting to Kane, who knows MoPos ideas and philosophy already. So could offer something to Kane to take him on yet again. As I said before, I'd be super happy with either of them. In some ways the freshness of Conte has advantages.

I am sure the club are feeding this - essentially saying to Poch and PSG, we can't wait around for you, if it isn't happening we will pull the trigger on Conte.

I guess if we are serious about this there must be a pot of money to spend like 150m before outgoings.

If that’s the case then this might just work.

If there is a pot of money I’d still prefer poch but would have conte as second choice over the ten hags, rodgers of this world etc.

If there is no pot of money then I’m not sure what we are doing tbh.

Back