• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

I have watched Levy's MO for years and would expect the MOPO negotiations to go at the usual snails' pace that our transfers - ins and outs - follow.

On a slightly different subject - but related - I am slowly watching the Amazon series - I know, I am late (!) - but what stands out to me is that Levy is far too close to the footballing matters. He is far too accessible to the players - he should be well removed from the day to day stuff in terms of football on the training ground. In fact, if I were him I would never go the the Training Ground. When Danny Rose grumbles to Jose about playing time and Jose fobs him off, Danny immediately says he will go to the Chairman. The Chairman shouldn't be an option to him unless his relationship with the Manager has completely broken down. Its like going over your boss's head at work. How can the Manager manage if Levy is so available to them?
Don't start me off on matrix management either please!

And we get Hitchen parroting on about how difficult Transfers are as they bring in Bergwijn. Why oh why are our transfers such lengthy and difficult affairs? Do please tell me - although I really do put it down to Levy's inch by tortuous inch negotiating style.

Anyway I believe we owe it to Poch to bring him back and support him to the hilt, if he is biddable. As people on here are now saying, if its anybody else he had better be able to hit the ground running and have a very thick skin!

Sky reporting Conte in talks.

Interesting and could be us calling psg’s bluff if we think privately psg prefer conte to poch and they hope this news could lead to psg letting poch go free.

All seems high stakes for the sake of 10m compensation.

On a side note I just dont see how a conte appointment will work with our budget. It looks from the outside that it will inevitably end in tears with conte resigning in less than 18 months.

Without covid this past 18 months then our budget would be very different and so too could a conte appointment.

We have a number of players to sell and buy. I don't think appointing a manager just before pre season is giving the new man enough time to get the squad shaped as he would want.

Unless we appoint a very special manager (and, preferably, one who's never worked with this squad), my guess is that next season is going to be extremely painful. It doesn't look like we're going to change much of our playing staff while other teams are wasting no time in signing the players they need. If we appoint Pochettino at a later date, he'll have every excuse in the world for getting mediocre results out of that team. It probably suits everyone. If I could, I think I'd fast-forward directly to 2022/23.

Unless we appoint a very special manager (and, preferably, one who's never worked with this squad), my guess is that next season is going to be extremely painful. It doesn't look like we're going to change much of our playing staff while other teams are wasting no time in signing the players they need. If we appoint Pochettino at a later date, he'll have every excuse in the world for getting mediocre results out of that team. It probably suits everyone. If I could, I think I'd fast-forward directly to 2022/23.

Half a season of the new man playing Sanchez, Dier, Winks etc to give them their last last last chance to prove themselves.

Why? The knives where out before a ball was kicked under Mourinho. While I agree that there is no point in shooting down a manager before he's had a chance to prove what he can (or can't) do, if the results and performances are on a par with his last year at Spurs, I can't see why I should be 'fudging delighted'. He'll get a couple of seasons to get it right anyway but I see no reason why he should be above criticism. I understand he's a living legend to some people on this board and I can respect that, even if I disagree, but after reading the same comments over and over the the past two seasons on this board, I think demanding for critics to shut it up is a bit rich.

I agreed with giving Jose a chance - knives out before a ball kicked is just silly.

But that is different to a conversation around Poch - a guy who has already proven himself to be a near miracle worker at our club. Again: Champions League final, regular CL, no signings for 18 months, 2 years at Wembley, every player playing the best football of their career to that point under him.

I don’t think anyone is above criticism but I’ve seen a few things on Twitter about the subs before 70 mins thing and the fact that he won no trophies with us, and I just think it is ridiculous. Such minor, minor points in the grand scheme of things when you consider one of the best managers in the world loves this club so much that he will turn down the finances and the squad and the guarantee of CL football to come to us. We should be grateful. You may disagree, you may not think he’s a living legend but I think we need to really remember where we were before he arrived and what he did for us. That he called for the kind of rebuild, the sale of players etc 2 years before he was sacked and was proven right means he deserves this chance. He more than deserves it anyway, he’s proven himself over 5 years, and deserves to be backed. And I do think we should all get behind him. He’s a special person, who for some reason loves this club, and he’s also one of the best modern managers in the game. We really should be so lucky.

I'll back him if he comes but i can't help but think Conte is going to be a disaster and not what we need at this moment at all.

If Poch is in our thoughts then it doesn't really give me much confidence that the alternative is so different - if it was Nagelsmann > Poch > ETH then you can see a plan, but Conte in the mix doesn't make sense

Levy :
"We shall focus on the recruitment of a new Head Coach. We are acutely aware of the need to select someone whose values reflect those of our great Club and return to playing football with the style for which we are known – free-flowing, attacking and entertaining – whilst continuing to embrace our desire to see young players flourish from our Academy alongside experienced talent."

So much for that then. Lies again.

Also Conte is not the guy for a rebuild.
He won with what he was given at Chelsea. Took 14 players who never got injured and played them every game in a season with no european football. And they won the league.

Spurs will never have that injury luck his title win was built upon. We are Spurs.

However we will have the luck his signings that next summer had. He got rid of Diego Costa and Matic. And brought in absolute garbage. Emerson, Morata, Barkley, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Emerson. Conte finished 5th with with 352 being worked out by everyone in the Premier League.

This is the guy Levy wants running the rebuild?

Levy :
"We shall focus on the recruitment of a new Head Coach. We are acutely aware of the need to select someone whose values reflect those of our great Club and return to playing football with the style for which we are known – free-flowing, attacking and entertaining – whilst continuing to embrace our desire to see young players flourish from our Academy alongside experienced talent."

So much for that then. Lies again.

Also Conte is not the guy for a rebuild.
He won with what he was given at Chelsea. Took 14 players who never got injured and played them every game in a season with no european football. And they won the league.

Spurs will never have that injury luck his title win was built upon. We are Spurs.

However we will have the luck his signings that next summer had. He got rid of Diego Costa and Mata. And brought in absolute garbage. Emerson, Morata, Barkley, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Emerson. Conte finished 5th with with 352 being worked out by everyone in the Premier League.

This is the guy Levy wants running the rebuild?

No, it's the guy sky are routing because there's nothing new on poch.
And without anything new they have to make stuff up.

Fair play to these teams having signed players when the transfer window isn't even opened yet. At least wait for a day or two after the window is open for the "woe is me" act.

Just on a side with conte. Poch my first choice but have been listening to how much conte will demznd in transfer fees. I was surprised to see inter only had a net spend of €20m last season.

If its Conte it tells me Levy has given in to his requirements of having lots of money and being somewhat autonomous in the market. However i feel this means Kane will leave and Conte to have the purse.

If Pochettino was to come i think Kane would stay and our budget would have obviously been considerably less.

I'll back him if he comes but i can't help but think Conte is going to be a disaster and not what we need at this moment at all.

If Poch is in our thoughts then it doesn't really give me much confidence that the alternative is so different - if it was Nagelsmann > Poch > ETH then you can see a plan, but Conte in the mix doesn't make sense

It just goes to show that the guy in charge of the appointment don't really have much of a clue. Conte will essentially be a Mourinho 2.0 - there's no way he'll work well for us. It will basically be Levy doing the same mistake twice.

Back