• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

he knows how this (and only this) appointment will go a long way towards healing his relationship with disgruntled and angry fans
I don't know. If whoever he appoints gets a few home wins early next season, because the team is playing well, Levy's relationship with the fans will be fine

Slightly more pessimistic today than in the last week or so. But ultimately I cannot see Levy not getting what he wants. He knows Poch, he knows what he has to do to make him come back, he knows how this (and only this) appointment will go a long way towards healing his relationship with disgruntled and angry fans - there's just too much at stake for himself and for the club to let this one slip away.
It might suit Levy to let this drag on for much of the summer if (as is likely) we have a minimal transfer budget.... It can then be a ready made excuse for why we didn't buy new players.

How is Poch supposed to come back and work with Dier and Sanchez and all these failures? Love the guy but I can’t see it working without a much bigger turnover of player than’s possible. Love to see him come back with Kane and Son (and all the shockers) sold and 200m to spend on young players who’d buy into his ways.

he knows how this (and only this) appointment will go a long way towards healing his relationship with disgruntled and angry fans
I don't know. If whoever he appoints gets a few home wins early next season, because the team is playing well, Levy's relationship with the fans will be fine
On the flip side of that I think it is probably only Pochettino who will buy Levy some time if results at the start of next season are poor.

How is Poch supposed to come back and work with Dier and Sanchez and all these failures? Love the guy but I can’t see it working without a much bigger turnover of player than’s possible. Love to see him come back with Kane and Son (and all the shockers) sold and 200m to spend on young players who’d buy into his ways.
Problem is that we'd be relying on the chairman to bring them in before transfer deadline day to give the manager some time to work with them. If we start next season without Kane and Son then I think the first half of next season (at least) would be pretty poor.

Isn't it (allegedly) PSG who are saying they want Poch to go public with a request to leave before they will consider anything?

So we think levy approached psg and they said they will only accept the compo when poch goes public.

Seems unlikely to me. I dont think this public thing is true as doesnt really make sense. Him going public wont be a precursor to them letting him resign and go free as they might as well get the compo. And I dont believe they have rebuffed our advances on the basis that poch needs to go public first, especially as poch would have just gone public by now to get it over the line.

More likely levy needs to pick up the phone and pay.

Isn't it (allegedly) PSG who are saying they want Poch to go public with a request to leave before they will consider anything?
That would seem completely back to front to me? Surely PSG would rather look like they made the decision to let Poch go, got good compensation from us and got a 'better'* manager in (* better in the eyes of their fans such as Zidane or Conte). Poch going public wanting to leave and getting his way makes it look like the manager is saying he would rather be at THFC than PSG, which isn't the sort of thing that I would've thought PSG would want to portray?

Outstanding post
I'm sure there will be twists and turns, but I think it will be the best thing to happen to our club in a long time, and the righting of a wrong that should never have happened 2 years ago.

The guy got us to the Champions League final. After 18 months of no signings. On an average net spend of £20m per season. While dealing with a relocation to Wembley and not having a home for 2 years. The guy worked fudging miracles, and is exactly the right person for us. That he is willing to leave the riches of PSG, the guarantee of CL football and managing Neymar to join our batbrick crazy club means he should have our eternal respect. We should be so lucky that Poch is as crazy as he is. He's an old romantic, and the only way we are going to get close to succeeding to the level we all want, if we aren't going to pay the money of the top clubs, is to have someone that believes so strongly in building something that he is willing to commit that deeply to us.

So please, everyone, no griping about subs before 70 minutes. No griping about how this just means Winks and Dier back in midfield. No griping about how we won 'no trophies with the best squad in the league'. They were the best squad in the league because he made them that way. non-figuratively not one of those players reached the level they were playing at before he arrived. The guy worked miracles for us, and wants to chuck it all in to come back home. We should be fudging delighted.

He's a romantic guy, but he's also a ruthless guy. I predict if we get this done, he comes in and makes the same kind of moves he made when he joined in 2014. He will re-establish his authority and want to shake the place up. Don't forget he called for moving on players 2 years before he was sacked, even if he loved them. We allowed a squad to get stale and denied him the chance to maintain the culture, the commitment, the front-foot pressing football that he built. And we got that wrong. That will be on Levy. Don't think back to his last year in the league, when he was dealing with all manner of brick beyond his control. Think back to the type of football we played in 16/17 when we were perfectly aligned behind his plan.

This is fudging great news, and it seems the wheels are in motion. If we pull this off, it is absolutely the best move we could have made. It's a recognition that Spurs DNA IS actually going to count for something. We are going to build something not based on who has the most money, but who is the smartest, the fittest, the most committed, the bravest. I am delighted, and really hope we drive this home.

Dier and Sanchez looked good under Poch. Dier was England's starting DM (he was also out with appendicitis for most of Poch's last year) and Sanchez looked a £40m CB in a high line.

I'm slightly worried that it seems the club are expecting Pochettino to kick up a fuss in order for us to get him. I have seen that same story play out with a bunch of players that we have wanted over the years, where we suggest they put in transfer requests, leave them hanging by not making proper bids, tinkle their club off so that they won't sell to us even it we end up bidding the fee they wanted on day 1 and then the player hung out to dry due to his relationship with his club being destroyed. If Pochettino is our number 1 target then we we should be paying the compensation to PSG and getting him in now, not expecting Poch to try to force the deal from his end.
I mean, it's not like we need to appoint a new manager tomorrow. There's probably a drop-dead date, which is likely a little before the start of pre-season. So there is no harm in trying to get the most favorable terms possible in the meantime. And I don't think we're expecting Poch to force the deal from his end. Levy is probably trying to find a way so that PSG save face, we get our man, and don't spend silly money in the process.

If Poch is our #1 and we're also his #1, and we're at our drop-dead date, I truly believe Levy will pay up. But in the meantime, let the man negotiate. It would be stupid not to. Money saved would be money towards the transfer kitty and Ghod knows we'll need a decent one.

Slightly more pessimistic today than in the last week or so. But ultimately I cannot see Levy not getting what he wants. He knows Poch, he knows what he has to do to make him come back, he knows how this (and only this) appointment will go a long way towards healing his relationship with disgruntled and angry fans - there's just too much at stake for himself and for the club to let this one slip away.
Quite frankly I don't think Levy gives a flying fart about healing his relationship with disgruntled and angry fans. I think he wants Poch back because he sees him as the best manager for the club given the state we're in.

I mean, it's not like we need to appoint a new manager tomorrow. There's probably a drop-dead date, which is likely a little before the start of pre-season. So there is no harm in trying to get the most favorable terms possible in the meantime. And I don't think we're expecting Poch to force the deal from his end. Levy is probably trying to find a way so that PSG save face, we get our man, and don't spend silly money in the process.

If Poch is our #1 and we're also his #1, and we're at our drop-dead date, I truly believe Levy will pay up. But in the meantime, let the man negotiate. It would be stupid not to. Money saved would be money towards the transfer kitty and Ghod knows we'll need a decent one.

We have a number of players to sell and buy. I don't think appointing a manager just before pre season is giving the new man enough time to get the squad shaped as he would want.

Back