• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

I voted Ten Hag, love Poch and hope he comes back one day but feel it's too soon and there's too many of the same players still here who would be given the same ideas again (unless he's evolved a bit).

What about Galtier? I don't know much about him but done an outstanding job at Lille and barely a mention - maybe he has another job lined up somewhere. I saw rumours of Nice but surely that's a step down.

Can't believe the negativit, if we had made a quick appointment last week we could have had potter, Parker or Martinez.
Now we could have poch or Conte.
Before the window even opens.
The sweat has barely dried on the players bodies from last season and some are saying we are dragging our feet and being left behind.
Crikey.

Can't believe the negativit, if we had made a quick appointment last week we could have had potter, Parker or Martinez.
Now we could have poch or Conte.
Before the window even opens.
The sweat has barely dried on the players bodies from last season and some are saying we are dragging our feet and being left behind.
Crikey.

Think the issue is that it's not by design. We end up with either of them is by luck.

I reckon PSG will milk this for every penny, and why wouldn't they? It'll be back and forth for a few weeks now until it will stall, and we'll hire some other guy instead.

Imagine a manager who can coach and actually improve young players though. Sanchez looked excellent for a year under Poch (and next to Vertoghen) and Foyth has been the best RB in Spain this year.

Sanchez was good for one season and has got consistently worse ever since, under more than one manager.

Foyth whilst being good on the ball is far too flaky and unpredictable. After having to endure Trippier, Aurier and Doherty since we sold Walker, I’d like a RB who isn’t rash and is more of a safe pair of hands.

I get the feeling that there has been a thorough process in place that from mid-April until about a week ago had gradually whittled down candidates - of which the conclusion was that whilst all have their credentials there probably wasn't an ideal candidate.

Then some dialogue has taken place with Poch which hadn't been envisaged as a possibility before and that has changed things somewhat.

Choosing a Manager should be a thorough process - due diligence should be carried out. Persoanally I'd rather wait a few weeks for the right candidate.

I reckon PSG will milk this for every penny, and why wouldn't they? It'll be back and forth for a few weeks now until it will stall, and we'll hire some other guy instead.
We have (had?) a good relationship with them. As long as they get something back they want - decent compo, Aurier - to save face, I’d expect this should move quickly.

Surely there’s no going back for him at PSG if he is speaking to other clubs?!

The maximum amount will be the remainder of his contract - about £10m. We saved way more than that by Mourinho walking straight into the Roma job instead of sitting on gardening leave

I get the feeling that there has been a thorough process in place that from mid-April until about a week ago had gradually whittled down candidates - of which the conclusion was that whilst all have their credentials there probably wasn't an ideal candidate.

Then some dialogue has taken place with Poch which hadn't been envisaged as a possibility before and that has changed things somewhat.

Choosing a Manager should be a thorough process - due diligence should be carried out. Persoanally I'd rather wait a few weeks for the right candidate.
Completely agree, not something that should be rushed just to please a few impatient fans. If it drags on another 3-4 weeks or by the time pre season starts again then quite clearly there’s an issue, but I don’t see any problem with taking another week or 2 to get the right man.

I think Levy and Poch have probably been speaking about it since February or March; once Mourinho was dead man walking and Poch got the real flavour of the politics in Paris.

Mason was probably even a vanguard, in terms of getting one of Poch's coaching team embedded early.

Think the issue is that it's not by design. We end up with either of them is by luck.
But isn't it always, it's timing. We were lucky Jose was available when sacked poch, we were lucky poch was ready for a move from Southampton, lucky Avb was available etc.

I voted Ten Hag, love Poch and hope he comes back one day but feel it's too soon and there's too many of the same players still here who would be given the same ideas again (unless he's evolved a bit).

What about Galtier? I don't know much about him but done an outstanding job at Lille and barely a mention - maybe he has another job lined up somewhere. I saw rumours of Nice but surely that's a step down.

Radcliffe just bought them. Meant to have a lot of money to spend.

Under ENIC 9 permanent managers have been appointed (though I have included Sherwood who was given an 18-month contract but we all suspected it was a glorified Caretaker appointment).

Three have been Summer (off-season) changes - Santini, AVB and Poch.

The other six have, have been mid-season appointments (Hoddle, Jol, Ramos, Redknapp, Sherwood, Mourinho)....all bar Ramos these have been reactionary.

Of those 9 I think we'd all say that only 3 have been successes - Jol, Redknapp and Poch. I think Levy got lucky with the first two - they both provided some sustained success that was beyond the initial expectation. I'd go as far to say that Jol's appointment was solely down to Arnesen.

That doesn't give me a great deal of faith in Levy's appointments and perhaps this should be extended further to the environment that he creates for managers once in position.

I wonder what will be different this time around?

Under ENIC 9 permanent managers have been appointed (though I have included Sherwood who was given an 18-month contract but we all suspected it was a glorified Caretaker appointment).

Three have been Summer (off-season) changes - Santini, AVB and Poch.

The other six have, have been mid-season appointments (Hoddle, Jol, Ramos, Redknapp, Sherwood, Mourinho)....all bar Ramos these have been reactionary.

Of those 9 I think we'd all say that only 3 have been successes - Jol, Redknapp and Poch. I think Levy got lucky with the first two - they both provided some sustained success that was beyond the initial expectation. I'd go as far to say that Jol's appointment was solely down to Arnesen.

That doesn't give me a great deal of faith in Levy's appointments and perhaps this should be extended further to the environment that he creates for managers once in position.

I wonder what will be different this time around?

Jol was not reactionary. He was brought in to eventually take over from santini. We just didn't realise santini would jump ship so soon. Jol although lacking experience was held in very high esteem. Especially by arnesen.
Hoddle wasn't reactionary either. Although hard on the eye graham wasn't actually doing that bad (considering where we were at the time). Levy just wanted to bring hoddle in to cheer the fans up and hopefully push on.

Last edited:
Jol was not reactionary. He was brought in to eventually take over from santini. We just didn't realise santini would jump ship so soon. Jol although lacking experience was held in very high esteem. Especially by arnesen.

Jol was held in high esteem by Arnesen. Levy had committed himself to getting a name and made a brick appointment as a result.

Back