• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

In the minority but I really want Conte as our manager.

I know nothing about Steve Hitchen, but him wanting Poch has annoyed me. Like it's a self saving exercise cause he knows a new man will call him out.

I’m not sure on Conte - but I’m also not sure on Poch. Feels way too soon for me on the latter, and I can’t see Conte and Levy sticking each other for more than a season.

On the plus side, though, neither of them are Brendan Rodgers.

I love Poch and the idea but everytime I manage to calm myself down for a minute I keep getting flashbacks to that midfield diamond towards the end of his time here... aaaargh that diamond, he just kept trying it didn't he? lol!

It had gone stale. Levy overestimated the squad and underestimated poch. Probably thought it would be easier and cheaper to get a new manager in than overhaul the squad. Levy also thought mourinho could do better and give us a winning mentality.

He was tired and needed a break. Levy had to scratch the Mourinho itch and realise he had what he needed under his nose. Us fans became spoiled and entitled, me included and didn't know what we had.

We've all learned the grass isn't greener. We've all realised we belong together. He's coming back and the bond is going to be stronger than ever. That's what I want to believe so I'm believing it.

Yeah, I know we all think that was what happened - or thought we could read between the lines or whatever - but we don't really know, do we? What kicked it off? Why did the players stop performing? Has Poch himself ever said anything about it? I know what we all think happened, but what are the facts here, has anyone (players or coaches or people involved) said anything specific about it?

Just to provide a little counterbalance to the Poch love-in. From the Guardian a couple of weeks ago...

...... This is Conte’s gift: knowing how to elevate good footballers into winning ones. How many of Inter’s regular starters had conquered one of Europe’s “big five” domestic leagues before this season? Not Lukaku, and not Samir Handanovic, Stefan De Vrij, Lautaro Martínez, Nicolò Barella, Alessandro Bastoni, Milan Skriniar, nor Marcelo Brozovic either. Not even Achraf Hakimi, though he had a cameo role on a Champions League-winning side at Real Madrid.

Conte described the challenge he faced at Inter as the toughest of his career. Not only did he need to break a cycle of underachievement for the club he now managed, but also to end an era of unprecedented success for Juventus – a run of nine consecutive league titles that he launched. All this, in the middle of a pandemic, with no fans in the stands.

Last season it seemed as though the task might overwhelm him. Despite leading Inter to second place in Serie A and a Europa League final, Conte was constantly on edge, accusing journalists of expecting too much and his club of not supporting him enough. He contemplated walking away before receiving reassurances at a meeting with the Inter president, Steven Zhang, in August.

Still, this season had the potential to test his patience further. Inter added Hakimi and Arturo Vidal in the summer but the financial realities of the pandemic were starting to bite for Inter’s owners, Suning. Wages were delayed, and the January transfer window closed without any reinforcements. Inter’s neighbours, Milan, were still top of the league.

Conte adapted, bringing fringe players back into the fold. Christian Eriksen, after struggling to impose himself in a No 10 role early in the season, was reinvented as a hybrid regista/box-to-box midfielder. Ivan Perisic was reimagined as a wing-back.

Inter have not always dazzled. Conte began this season with plans for a more expansive approach, but the imperative to win games prevailed as he shifted the emphasis away from possession toward a quick-strike philosophy geared to minimise his team’s own mistakes and punish those of their opponents. Skriniar, dropped early in the season to make way for more expansive ball-players, was restored as a defensive pillar.

Inter conceded 23 goals in their first 17 games, then six in the next 17. They turned the title race into a procession, taking 41 points from a possible 45 since late January. How is anyone supposed to keep up with a front-runner who never misses a step?

Inter finished bottom of Champions League group with mighty Monchengladbach and Shaktar.

Serie A is complete mess. Not a single Italian team made it to the quarter final in either European competition.

Inter won the league because they outspent everyone and Juve got an Italian Tim Sherwood.

The fact Conte would leave the Serie A Champions for a Conference League club let's you know everything.

I don't really care which manager we appoint, it is far more important that we SELL and BUY the right players.

That could be Levy changing his spots, or it could be a new DOF, but the most important thing is player trading.

That is why a DOF can go to a small club and win the league, clever player trading.

All of the "top" managers are very good, but they ALL need the right tools.

Inter finished bottom of Champions League group with mighty Monchengladbach and Shaktar.

Serie A is complete mess. Not a single Italian team made it to the quarter final in either European competition.

Inter won the league because they outspent everyone and Juve got an Italian Tim Sherwood.

The fact Conte would leave the Serie A Champions for a Conference League club let's you know everything.

Erm Roma. I agree with the rest ;)

You think we will get him GB?

I think we already have. The press are usually about 2-3 days behind where its up to on stuff like this aren't they.

The whole merry-go-round of the 4 super managers feels quite co-ordinated doesn't it and the clubs' owners are all SL chums now too.

I have to admit, this is the first time I've seen someone use a manager's willingness to come to us as an argument *against* appointing him. :p

'He wants to come here, so he *must* be crazy!' :p

677_1001293508.jpg

I don't really care which manager we appoint, it is far more important that we SELL and BUY the right players.

That could be Levy changing his spots, or it could be a new DOF, but the most important thing is player trading.

That is why a DOF can go to a small club and win the league, clever player trading.

All of the "top" managers are very good, but they ALL need the right tools.

Great post Sir. We all want to believe in some Messianic figure and Poch is it for me. However, if we don't sell the deadwood and don't buy what the manager is telling you he needs and you could appoint Jesus and it won't make a difference. In fairness, Levy did a good job, CBs aside, backing Jose last year I thought.

I want Poch back big time but the club have to back him. Otherwise, don't bother because they're setting him up for failure and I don't want his legacy ruined.

Great post Sir. We all want to believe in some Messianic figure and Poch is it for me. However, if we don't sell the deadwood and don't buy what the manager is telling you he needs and you could appoint Jesus and it won't make a difference. In fairness, Levy did a good job, CBs aside, backing Jose last year I thought.

I want Poch back big time but the club have to back him. Otherwise, don't bother because they're setting him up for failure and I don't want his legacy ruined.

Sure Jesus will be coming to. Doubt he'll stay in paris.

It’s all happening!

So now Pochettino!

Are we happy?

Yes last week we were in danger of appointing the Brighton manager who finished 16th.
Now we have a manager who was in the Champions League semi final potentially coming here because he loves the club.
We coudl have disappeared into mid table.

Ultimately I think Rangnick is the only one guaranteed to fix the club.
But was Levy ever gonna gice up responsibility to him?

At least Poch has a huge power over Levy to get stuff done now.
Levy can't pretend the squad is better than it is.

My fear with Poch is that he is very picky when it comes to signings.

Agree with that scenario. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Only thing is that with alignment and better players Poch still remains untested. A year at PSG is still too short anyways.
I think it's a really interesting piece, and ultimately I think what happened is that where Poch and Levy were once perfectly aligned, in terms of strategy and how to operate, they started to diverge. This divergence led to Poch's frustration, and it meant that the club stopped progressing. Inertia set in due to a lack of alignment, and if Poch does come back, we absolutely need that alignment. If we don't have it, Poch should not come and Levy shouldn't do it.

Could Poch have been more ok with some younger players from the football league? Maybe. Could he have loaned out more players and used that as a way to finance our transfer spending ala Chelsea? Maybe. But I trust his opinion that to make a real next step to winning the biggest prizes, it isn't as easy as that. Even Man United, who had a spirit and a culture and would be willing to trust young players and sign up and comers, still sprinkled the side with stardust to get it done in the biggest moments. I think Poch wanted us to be brave and do something like that.

I really expect Levy and Poch to have both gone away, done some deep thinking, and have understood where it went wrong. I hope it was a breakup that needed to happen in our mid 20s, so we can get the final mistakes out of a system and settle into a SAF like marriage in our 30s, once we've realised what we needed.

I think Levy:

• Under-estimated how much Poch was a difference maker, and allowed himself to be seduced by the idea of Jose as a miracle worker who could squeeze more out of the core of the squad that Poch could.
  • Forgot that strategically, if we aren''t going to spend the most money, we need a culture, a system and a spirit which allows us to compete. The DNA he now talks about. We hired a chequebook manager for a squad that had over-performed thanks to Poch's methods. It was wrong strategically.
  • Was wrestling with the fact that if Joe Lewis isn't going to put more money in, and we had some stadium financing difficulties, that as much as he wanted to satisfy Poch and in some ways knew if he was backed how he wanted he would deliver more success, he couldn't do it. But this is because...

I think Poch:

• Felt he had elevated the club on from 'competing for the European places' to being able to 'compete for the biggest trophies'. He thought the club had an opportunity.
  • Felt that the job needed to change. We needed to sign a more elite mentality style of player that can cope with pressure in the biggest moments.
  • Felt we needed to sell players to maintain a spirit and a culture that was sliding away.

Ultimately, where once they were aligned, they ended up diverging and it caused real inertia in the progress of the squad. I think Levy was offering Poch players like Clarke and Poch was annoyed that we weren't spending money on more proven players. So we ended up doing nothing. Because in some ways, Levy did trust Poch. And so rolled with it as much as he could. But it's still mis alignment, it's still not good for the club.

I think they both had points, and both made mistakes. I think maybe Poch could have appreciated that it might have taken a couple more years to get the club on a sounder footing to be able to start making the big moves he would want. And I think Levy could have done more to show Poch that if he gave us another couple of years, he had a job with Spurs for as long as he wanted it. So that the imperative of 'this being our only chance!' wasn't as much of a thing. We could have signed some good young english players, sold some older players who didn't want to run as much, and probably kept qualifying for the top 4, in preparation for a real push in a couple of years time.

So for me, it comes down to alignment. They need to agree on Spurs' place in the world, Spurs ambitions, and Spurs' strategy to compete. If they aren't aligned, they shouldn't do it. If they both feel like they know where they are, and what the job is, and what they need to get back to, and the timeline for doing it, then I think it will be one of the best things to happen to our club in a long time.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

It is tough to know where Conte sits in all this. If ever there was a Levy panic appt, it is Conte, because let's face it, the whole thing would end in tears and pretty fast. I would love Poch back because I love Poch, I think in all aspects he is the right manager for our club, I am not sure if given the circumstances he is currently the right man for the job, however I am prepared to toss sense and pragmatism into the bin for a bit of romance. I have read these pages with huge interest the last couple of days, and have to say it is pretty funny (and the joke is on ALL of us)...

Back