• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Stadium and Training Ground - Pg 104 Northumberland Park master plan

Yes. The current WHL pitch is 100 x 67 metres, the new pitch will be 105 x 68 metres.

Cheers...

5 metres longer and only 1 wider mmmmmb.. probably could do with at least one more metre on the width to balance it out more to what size rectangle we have now..:-k

Cheers...

5 metres longer and only 1 wider mmmmmb.. probably could do with at least one more metre on the width to balance it out more to what size rectangle we have now..:-k
I'm sure they'll soon get used to it, playing on it every other week and training nearly every day on pitches the exact same size at the new training centre (which they'll have been doing for a few years before the stadium gets built anyway).

I'm sure they'll soon get used to it, playing on it every other week and training nearly every day on pitches the exact same size at the new training centre (which they'll have been doing for a few years before the stadium gets built anyway).

The current WHL pitch is very wide, one of the reasons we are known for our brand of expansive wing play throughout the years. The Highbury pitch was very narrow, hence Arsenal pre Wenger were renowned for tight boring teams who generally didn't use wingers. Just a personal thing but I would have kept the pitch exactly the same but I suppose there is some UEFA/FIFA ruling that says we have to conform to certain pitch sizes.

The current WHL pitch is very wide, one of the reasons we are known for our brand of expansive wing play throughout the years. The Highbury pitch was very narrow, hence Arsenal pre Wenger were renowned for tight boring teams who generally didn't use wingers. Just a personal thing but I would have kept the pitch exactly the same but I suppose there is some UEFA/FIFA ruling that says we have to conform to certain pitch sizes.

The current pitch is not very wide.

Law 1 - The Field of Play
In order to standardize the size of the football pitch for A international matches, the IFAB has decided to set a fixed size of 105m long and 68m wide (instead of a minimum and maximum length - from 100m to 110m - and a minimum and a maximum width - from 64m to 75m - as mentioned in the present text).

edit: the requirements vary between different competitions.

Last edited:
Every pitch should be the same size, teams should not be able to tinker with it to suit their style of play.

Agreed.

I noticed that there was a huge disparity between the width of Stoke's pitch for Premier League games and Europa League games. Makes a mockery of the game. I understand that many old stadia are too small to accommodate the optimum size of pitch, as recommended by FIFA / UEFA. But there should be no excuse for a new stadium like the Britannia. All new or redeveloped stadia should conform to a standard size of pitch.

Agreed.

I noticed that there was a huge disparity between the width of Stoke's pitch for Premier League games and Europa League games. Makes a mockery of the game. I understand that many old stadia are too small to accommodate the optimum size of pitch, as recommended by FIFA / UEFA. But there should be no excuse for a new stadium like the Britannia. All new or redeveloped stadia should conform to a standard size of pitch.

I'm certain West Ham have also made their pitch smaller over the years too. Makes a bit of a mockery of their "academy of football" claims.

Some "new" photos of the training ground, from January:

spurs-training-ground-jan-6.jpg

spurs-training-ground-jan-5.jpg

spurs-training-ground-jan-4.jpg

spurs-training-ground-jan-3.jpg

Pretty sure the desso pitch at the training ground will be the same size as the current pitch.

Pretty sure the desso pitch at the training ground will be the same size as the current pitch.

While the dimensions of the first team training ground pitch, as defined by the chalk lines, will be the same size as the current WHL pitch, I would have thought that the overall area of desso surface, undersoil heating and drainage is somewhat bigger and will be able to accommodate a bigger pitch as and when we move to the new stadium.

It'll just be a matter of redrawing the chalk lines.

While the dimensions of the first team training ground pitch, as defined by the chalk lines, will be the same size as the current WHL pitch, I would have thought that the overall area of desso surface, undersoil heating and drainage is somewhat bigger and will be able to accommodate a bigger pitch as and when we move to the new stadium.

It'll just be a matter of redrawing the chalk lines.

Out of interest, is this ITK or speculation? One thing that strikes me from looking at the site is that we're fitting a lot of pitches into a relatively tight space.

Isn't all this stuff about having a training pitch that is an 'exact replica' of the one at the stadium a bit misleading? How often do mens senior teams actually play 11 v 11 training games? Having the same type of surface (e.g. desso) makes senses but a few metres width? No reason not to do it, but it always seems to be made out to be a big deal.

Out of interest, is this ITK or speculation? One thing that strikes me from looking at the site is that we're fitting a lot of pitches into a relatively tight space.

Isn't all this stuff about having a training pitch that is an 'exact replica' of the one at the stadium a bit misleading? How often do mens senior teams actually play 11 v 11 training games? Having the same type of surface (e.g. desso) makes senses but a few metres width? No reason not to do it, but it always seems to be made out to be a big deal.

I'd guess there will be a dedicated pitch at the training facility for for reserve friendlies and youth matches, but most training will quite correctly never be 11v11.

It's not just for 11 v 11 matches. It would make sense for set piece taking and defensive drills to take place on a pitch the same size (specifically the same width) as our home pitch.

I am sure I read something once about how Arsenal have a second pitch at their training ground that they adjust to the size of the pitch of their next away match so that they get properly used to those dimensions in the run up to the game.

It's ITK, fella............but not exclusive to me!

There have been a number of articles on the official site over the past few years which have stated that the training ground pitch will have the same dimensions as the stadium pitch.

surely the new training ground will at first have pitches the size of the current WHL one, and once the new stadium is built and the team is ready to play there the training ground pitch sizes will be adjusted accordingly to account for the new playing surface

surely the new training ground will at first have pitches the size of the current WHL one, and once the new stadium is built and the team is ready to play there the training ground pitch sizes will be adjusted accordingly to account for the new playing surface

Yep. Already been mentioned.

Back