• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Stadium and Training Ground - Pg 104 Northumberland Park master plan

When was that ever the case?

Thought it was only half in 12 months?

the actual structure probably wont take that long. The preparation and planning, and the routine interior finishings will take a long time. For example, Wembley went over by 3 months because they laid all the electrical trunking wrong and had to go back and replace all of it. Was great for the sparks, but not great for whoever told them where to work. Because they were working alongside others to a deadline it knocked onto other areas who had to also go back and repair the fresh damage done.

Plus they are doing half first. Its all very clever.

When was that ever the case?

Thought it was only half in 12 months?

The article in The People is implying that by relocating to Wembley for one year it will be possible to knock down the old WHL stadium and build a new one all in one year. Does seem unlikely!

The Wembley thing would make more sense if we waited till most of the construction was done, then played there for one year while WHL was demolished and the new stadium completed.

Disagree, first of all you are assuming we'll be in the CL next season and secondly didn't work for Arsenal the year they tried it.

multiple years sadly. worked at first and for big games, such as Fiorentina when Batistuta annihilated them. I was sat in the home end as my mate had a spare. I wore my spurs shirt under my coat too :)

Wasnt full for smaller games but still managed 60k.

I don't believe the story has any foundation whatsoever

This.

The story is complete fiction from start to finish.

The 'article' states that concerts won't be a problem.... well no there aren't any concerts, but that's because of the number of games being played during the Olympics. England might not even play their first game after the Euros at Wembley because they want to give the pitch a rest.

Woah there tiger

I just got onto the site on my iPhone and something bad had happened

I could no longer click threads to arrive at the last post I had read

But lo, after much gnashing of teeth I found the drop down at the bottom where you can change the options to be " mobile" which used to be the default

That may sound dull, but it may help a few mobile warriors to navigate

Sunday afternoons. Sun shining. Small boys in the park. Chasing the ball in noisy packs. Microwave relay towers for goalposts. Mum's cooking dinner. Dad's over on the park bench. Texting his mistress. Could be cozy. Don't quote me. Mmahhrvellous.

So, erm, it's all gone quiet over here.

Daniel Levy monitoring the Olympic site's mounting fiasco? Sullivan and Gold for goalposts?

Sunday afternoons. Sun shining. Small boys in the park. Chasing the ball in noisy packs. Microwave relay towers for goalposts. Mum's cooking dinner. Dad's over on the park bench. Texting his mistress. Could be cozy. Don't quote me. Mmahhrvellous.

So, erm, it's all gone quiet over here.

Daniel Levy monitoring the Olympic site's mounting fiasco? Sullivan and Gold for goalposts?

Excellent. Oh how I miss Ron Manager.

Diamond formation? Does anyone really know what that is? I mean, at least you knew where you were with Alf Ramsey's wingless wonders. You know? 4-4-2, 4-2-4, 4-3-3... 0898 654000, freephone double glazing?

Ron Manager.JPG

Ron says 'Have we built it yet'

lmao, I've never watched Ron manager before! It's like Alan Partridge's 1994 Word Cup all over again!

Foot like a traction engine!!

A good find by a poster on the skyscrapercity thread:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3774...vid-silvas-ankle-problems-threaten-to-disrupt

Daniel Levy was in Qatar last week to check out the state-of-the-art Aspire Centre, but sources at White Hart Lane have told Goal.com that he also held 'business meetings' while he was in the host country for the 2022 World Cup.

The Sweeper revealed in December that Qatar Airways is the frontrunner to secure a naming rights deal for Tottenham's planned redevelopment of White Hart Lane. Could the airline be close to lending its name to the club's new stadium?

I can't think why Levy, of all people, would make a special trip to Qatar just to see the Aspire Centre. Spurs' academy plans are already set in stone (and nearly complete) and, besides, if anyone from Spurs was to go on a fact finding mission with regard to training centres, it would surely be someone from the coaching or academy staff.

So it's almost certain that Levy was doing some kind of business there. And negotiations as to a naming rights deal seem as likely as any other reason.

A good find by a poster on the skyscrapercity thread:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3774...vid-silvas-ankle-problems-threaten-to-disrupt

Daniel Levy was in Qatar last week to check out the state-of-the-art Aspire Centre, but sources at White Hart Lane have told Goal.com that he also held 'business meetings' while he was in the host country for the 2022 World Cup.

The Sweeper revealed in December that Qatar Airways is the frontrunner to secure a naming rights deal for Tottenham's planned redevelopment of White Hart Lane. Could the airline be close to lending its name to the club's new stadium?

I can't think why Levy, of all people, would make a special trip to Qatar just to see the Aspire Centre. Spurs' academy plans are already set in stone (and nearly complete) and, besides, if anyone from Spurs was to go on a fact finding mission with regard to training centres, it would surely be someone from the coaching or academy staff.

So it's almost certain that Levy was doing some kind of business there. And negotiations as to a naming rights deal seem as likely as any other reason.

Could have been a lot of things, couldn't it?

I think we have a shirt sponsorship opening this summer for the cup matches?

And we already have several deals in place cooperating with teams around the world. Isn't the aspire centre some kind of youth academy? Could be a cooperation deal possible.

Of course, hoping it would be a stadium deal.

I am convinced that a lot of Middle Eastern business and development is in a bubble. Not a normal bubble, since oil money is a back-stop to the normal crash one would expect at the end of a bubble, but a bubble nonetheless. Many of the other characteristics of a bubble are in place: irrationality, wealth destruction, delusion, fuzzy math, wildly over-the-top plans.

Just look at Dubai. We already know they are hopelessly bust and broke as a going concern, with mind-boggling debts, and are only still functioning due to oil money bailouts. But in reality you have all these empty skyscrapers, shopping centres, leisure facilities and tourist developments everywhere. Word is that "The World" - that ridiculous artificial island archipelago - is slowly being reclaimed by nature:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/international/4594274/The-World-is-sinking

There is not a single building on any of The World's islands, other than on the "show island".

I think that is a good metaphor for the whole region...there's an emptiness and fakeness to all the "development". The whole thing has been predicated on rich Westerners flocking in droves. But...why would they? (At least, why would they once the hype has died, which it did post credit-crunch?) As long as there's an issue with walking on the beach in a bikini or getting an alcoholic drink, the place will be poison for many Westerners. It's also a long way away from both Europe and the US, where there are limitless beautiful places to visit with far more history and culture, excellent facilites, great weather and no restrictions on personal behaviour.

It seems likely to me that the likes of Qatar Airways, Etihad and Emirates could be part of this. Meh, maybe not, because I suppose it's possible there's enough natural travel needed in that region without the need for Westerners. But maybe not - maybe their massive investment in the West is predicated on the belief that future revenues will make it worthwhile. But that just gets us back to square one - are their business models sound, or is it all still predicated on the same bubble psychology - the same irrational exuberance - that prompted The World? My guess is that it is.

I am convinced that a lot of Middle Eastern business and development is in a bubble. Not a normal bubble, since oil money is a back-stop to the normal crash one would expect at the end of a bubble, but a bubble nonetheless. Many of the other characteristics of a bubble are in place: irrationality, wealth destruction, delusion, fuzzy math, wildly over-the-top plans.

Just look at Dubai. We already know they are hopelessly bust and broke as a going concern, with mind-boggling debts, and are only still functioning due to oil money bailouts. But in reality you have all these empty skyscrapers, shopping centres, leisure facilities and tourist developments everywhere. Word is that "The World" - that ridiculous artificial island archipelago - is slowly being reclaimed by nature:

There is not a single building on any of The World's islands, other than on the "show island".

I think that is a good metaphor for the whole region...there's an emptiness and fakeness to all the "development". The whole thing has been predicated on rich Westerners flocking in droves. But...why would they? (At least, why would they once the hype has died, which it did post credit-crunch?) As long as there's an issue with walking on the beach in a bikini or getting an alcoholic drink, the place will be poison for many Westerners. It's also a long way away from both Europe and the US, where there are limitless beautiful places to visit with far more history and culture, excellent facilites, great weather and no restrictions on personal behaviour.

It seems likely to me that the likes of Qatar Airways, Etihad and Emirates could be part of this. Meh, maybe not, because I suppose it's possible there's enough natural travel needed in that region without the need for Westerners. But maybe not - maybe their massive investment in the West is predicated on the belief that future revenues will make it worthwhile. But that just gets us back to square one - are their business models sound, or is it all still predicated on the same bubble psychology - the same irrational exuberance - that prompted The World? My guess is that it is.

If i were levy i would offer a medium size company over there the chance to have naming rights at our stadium for 5om for 10 years. Then i would let that company go bust and give them back 10m maybe that is illegal i don't know but its what i would do, do it a few times and we have our new stadium. Im sure the are a lot of companies in trouble who would go for it.

Have you lived in the Middle East/Gulf region?

Have you lived in the Middle East/Gulf region?

No.

If you are gearing up to accuse me of talking through my arse, I'm glad to stand corrected if needs be. In my own defence, my post is qualified in several places saying it's just my opinion and perception.

No.

If you are gearing up to accuse me of talking through my arse, I'm glad to stand corrected if needs be. In my own defence, my post is qualified in several places saying it's just my opinion and perception.

A lot of what you wrote is common misconception when it comes to Dubai, maybe more on the money with other gulf countries such as Saudi and Kuwait but Dubai is nowhere near the same.

The recession hit yes but the worst is behind Dubai now, incredibly they've learnt from it to a point. Check out the profits for Emirates Airline and the amount of money Dubai makes out of tourism. I assure you shopping centers are far from empty, in fact more are being built, and although right now there's still more supply than demand in terms of purchasing property, the rental rate is no longer dropping and has evened out - yet the cost of living is still slightly higher than that of London. If anything what has happened is that Dubai has hit a realistic level rather than the overpriced one it had before. Developments have now even restarted again.

Anything built by Nakheel Properties was ridiculous, and that included the World. On the other end of the spectrum there's Emaar Properties who built the Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa as well as a number of successful residential areas.

Even though it feels 'fake' as you put it a lot of Westerners are still desperate for jobs in Dubai, why? No tax. Simple. Imagine living in London but with better weather and no tax on anything, that's what it offers. Sure you don't get the history but there's plenty to do and don't forget the location means easy access to Asia, Africa and Europe. Those who do come and work don't end up staying too long anyway yet many others come and start a family.

You can walk on the beach with a bikini (if that's what floats your boat) and you can get alcohol very easily in Dubai, google a Dubai brunch and you'll be amazed how much the hotel industry is catered around drinking. As for facilities, you can find pretty much anything, you can even ski and sky dive :)

The 'restrictions on personal behaviour' should be a selling point here. You don't get lager louts in your face on the street, or people effing and blinding in public in front of children, it just doesn't happen. As long as you are proper and don't cause any problems (i.e. look for a fight and start swearing at randoms) you're fine.

I don't mind if these places are empty, by then they will have paid for our shiny new stadium.

Dubai never had much oil im comparison with other places anyway hence them building infrastructure instead. There is room for another world financial centre and one that has no tax will always be appealing.

A lot of what you wrote is common misconception when it comes to Dubai, maybe more on the money with other gulf countries such as Saudi and Kuwait but Dubai is nowhere near the same.

The recession hit yes but the worst is behind Dubai now, incredibly they've learnt from it to a point. Check out the profits for Emirates Airline and the amount of money Dubai makes out of tourism. I assure you shopping centers are far from empty, in fact more are being built, and although right now there's still more supply than demand in terms of purchasing property, the rental rate is no longer dropping and has evened out - yet the cost of living is still slightly higher than that of London. If anything what has happened is that Dubai has hit a realistic level rather than the overpriced one it had before. Developments have now even restarted again.

Anything built by Nakheel Properties was ridiculous, and that included the World. On the other end of the spectrum there's Emaar Properties who built the Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa as well as a number of successful residential areas.

Even though it feels 'fake' as you put it a lot of Westerners are still desperate for jobs in Dubai, why? No tax. Simple. Imagine living in London but with better weather and no tax on anything, that's what it offers. Sure you don't get the history but there's plenty to do and don't forget the location means easy access to Asia, Africa and Europe. Those who do come and work don't end up staying too long anyway yet many others come and start a family.

You can walk on the beach with a bikini (if that's what floats your boat) and you can get alcohol very easily in Dubai, google a Dubai brunch and you'll be amazed how much the hotel industry is catered around drinking. As for facilities, you can find pretty much anything, you can even ski and sky dive :)

The 'restrictions on personal behaviour' should be a selling point here. You don't get lager louts in your face on the street, or people effing and blinding in public in front of children, it just doesn't happen. As long as you are proper and don't cause any problems (i.e. look for a fight and start swearing at randoms) you're fine.

A couple of years ago on this website Milo wrote a very good piece on how the labour force mainly indians were being mistreated in dubai and for that reason i do not think as an ex builder i could ever go to a country that has such a poor record towards the rights and well being of a working class.

I have to say that i like the sound of Dubai the whole respect that must be shown when walking around and no lager louts from that point of view it sounds lovely, it is just such a shame that it was built on the misery of desperate people. I love muslim countries and i worked if you could call it work for a company that sent me to tunisia for weeks at a time a few years ago.

Back