• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Board backing the manager often comes up, well want to see the players back the manager.
Seems to me when its not going well or they don't like the style they become half hearted.
Poch, jose and conte have all stuck by various non performing players, a faith that seldom appears to be repaided.
Jose and conte have won the very medals our players supposedly crave, yet they moan about the methods.
Do they really think that jose, one of the most successful managers in football was going to change his methods because they didn't like it?
Medals aren't handed out, they need to be earned, and you earn them by doing what your manager tells you.
You do what managers like conte or jose tell you and you will win.
It might not pretty and it may well not be easy but it will be worth it, and you will have earned it.

-----------------Lloris
Porro-----Romero----Dier----Sessegnon/Davies
------------Skipp------Hojbjerg
--Kulu-----------Kane---------Son
--------------Richarlsion

Basically Kane or Kulu are going to have to cover the #10 role, but I think either would be good there

Hasn't Kulusevski said that he thinks his best position is as a no.10?

Could have that totally wrong.
But those are the only 2 who could put enough good passes forward to the strikers.

Honestly, I'd say give Poch the chance to the end of the season, see how it goes. If it doesn't work, no signs of betterment - then at least we tried, and oh well, maybe keep, maybe find someone new in the summer - but we could do with some of the nostalgia and positivity from Poch coming home, surely. It's worth a shot in my book.

I dont think that works. I dont see the squad is set up well for him at the moment. No creative players, not much in terms of wingers/wide forwards, weak CBs....

-----------------Lloris

Basically Kane or Kulu are going to have to cover the #10 role, but I think either would be good there

I tihnk thats the way he'd go too. Maybe use Perisic in one of the wide forwards roles as an alternative too given its far easier on his legs than a WB role

Hasn't Kulusevski said that he thinks his best position is as a no.10?

Could have that totally wrong.
But those are the only 2 who could put enough good passes forward to the strikers.

Remember though Poch played his playmaker (Eriksen) narrow right, with a more direct second striker (Alli) at ACM.

I’d be very interested to know how many of the people who are voting for Poch now were calling for him to be sacked last time he was here… as I recall the majority of this forum wanted him gone. (Whereas funnily enough I very much didn’t want him sacked, but don’t want him back now!)

The reason I want him back is that we have a DNA problem at our club and he is the closest we have come to that ever being right since Burkinshaw. He helped (as other before him TBF) and built with the club and the mood and attitude was like nothing I had seen in forever. That was proven with Jose and Conte IMO, Levy sexed up with the idea of an elite manager showing we were not the finished article (As Poch claimed in his last major interview) and we tore up a potential long term culture for boom or bust and it bust. People can argue all they about half season form and whatever under Poch but his record reads that in his last season we went to CL final and made 4th, people creating these half season trophies that don't exist can't and won't accept that and thats fine. But we had our first major dip and we tore up something we built. Poch also navigate the club through the leaving of WHL, the temporary home in Wembley and was the voice to the fans to appease us whilst managing the side, whilst managing 2/3 games a week, whilst having our first window in PL history with no signings and did it with class whilst people often overlook that whilst defending Conte not being able to build a side to play twice a week, defending him not wanting to talk to the press about transfers and defend him not getting the support he needed despite record money spent on any Spurs manager in history. We need a plan, Poch had a plan IMO and we tore it up at the first sign of pain, tell me that worked out for the best? He was right and was proven to be right about the house being built but needing new furniture

Don’t disagree with most of this. I just think whoever takes the job has got a lot of work to do. And I’m a bit concerned he will remain loyal to players like Lloris and Dier who need to be removed from the starting lineup. I’d have him back just to cheer us all up whilst knowing there’s a chance it could go tits up.

Wow, I'm shocked that so many want Poch back at this point. I absolutely loved him, and was devastated when we sacked him - definitely don't think he deserved it. And the Poch years were my best years supporting the club. But personally I don't think his return now would bring back feel-good vibes. It smacks more of desperation to me. Let's not forget that he left at a time when our form and mood was terrible, and he'd be re-joining at a time when our form and mood is poor. Without him having set the world alight in the meantime. I just see this ending badly. I think the mood would turn very quickly if we didn't immediately start getting better results.

my reasons for wanting him to return are not driven by desperation. Its more to do with the previous post I put up - we've tried two of the most famous "three years and gone" managers in the game - Ancellotti is probably the only one better in that category than Conte and Jose - and its not worked. We're not going to spend £300m in a summer, buy two players for each position in one year and then use that guile we've bought to win ugly. It just isn't us. We spend £150m a summer, recoup £30-40m and expect good football. Yes there are managers out there carving good furrows for themselves in the game, some already showing they can do it here in England, but we want to love our club, love our style, love our manager and love the results and that to me means Mauricio Roberto Pochettino Trossero.

Don’t disagree with most of this. I just think whoever takes the job has got a lot of work to do. And I’m a bit concerned he will remain loyal to players like Lloris and Dier who need to be removed from the starting lineup. I’d have him back just to cheer us all up whilst knowing there’s a chance it could go tits up.

I can forgo the "Tits up" though as thats been shown with Jose and Conte as a likely option, anyone that comes in has the same chance for it to also.

Lloris wants to go back to France so I can't see him staying, Dier, well every manager always bigs him up so I fear the same there too

Has to be MP.

Will likely be a disaster but we have to go through it, people will just clamour for it otherwise.

I can forgo the "Tits up" though as thats been shown with Jose and Conte as a likely option, anyone that comes in has the same chance for it to also.

Lloris wants to go back to France so I can't see him staying, Dier, well every manager always bigs him up so I fear the same there too

Dier will be ok if he's playing alongside one/two top class centre backs. He feeds off what's around him - Dembele used to do that for him in Midfield.

Has to be MP.

Will likely be a disaster but we have to go through it, people will just clamour for it otherwise.
clamouring for it is not a reason to do anything. It needs to be measured, thought out and progressive. Don't forget Poch is a highly respected coach - we're not asking him to come back cos he's this generation's Jurgen - we want him cos he get us, we get him, and he's good.

clamouring for it is not a reason to do anything. It needs to be measured, thought out and progressive. Don't forget Poch is a highly respected coach - we're not asking him to come back cos he's this generation's Jurgen - we want him cos he get us, we get him, and he's good.

no, but if Poch is out there the next manager would get about a fortnight before the fans started moaning again

-----------------Lloris

I could see Poch turning Richarlison into that 60m+ player. His track record with forwards is exceptional.

Honestly, I'd say give Poch the chance to the end of the season, see how it goes. If it doesn't work, no signs of betterment - then at least we tried, and oh well, maybe keep, maybe find someone new in the summer - but we could do with some of the nostalgia and positivity from Poch coming home, surely. It's worth a shot in my book.
Why would Pochettino accept anything other than a long contract with a big pay off if sacked?

Lloris and Poch are supposedly very close (remember the 'I knew at once my destiny would forever be entwined with this man' interview). I can maybe see him getting a combined coaching + back-up GK role for the next few seasons. Maybe even shadowing the DoF, as Lloris is unusually smart for a footballer.

Poch's beautiful, lemony aura will hang over anyone else who gets the job, so it has to be him again next. Even if it doesn't work it'll get it out of our system.

(For a bit, before he returns for a third time.)
His Aura only remains because we went for managers so different to him and who have failed spectacularly. Most fans would give a manager who appears to be going in the right direction a chance. If just one of those managers that came after him could have fashioned a team that looked remotely likely to win anything then noone would be thinking about Poch except in pleasant nostalgic terms like we think of Jol or Harry.

I’d be very interested to know how many of the people who are voting for Poch now were calling for him to be sacked last time he was here… as I recall the majority of this forum wanted him gone. (Whereas funnily enough I very much didn’t want him sacked, but don’t want him back now!)

I voted for Poch and I kinda wanted him out the last time. Actually, I did say at the time that he had earned to the end of the season but I didn't see things getting better. My reasons for wanting him sacked weren't results. Sure the results were brick but after what he did at the club, he earned the right to have a period of brick results and still get time. It was his public utterances which ranged from bizarre to petty. He really looked like a man who was burned out to me.

It's heart over head I know but I'd have him back in a heartbeat. And let's be fair, whoever we appoint, the shadow of Poch is going to loom large over him. Get him back, enjoy the initial buzz and see where it goes. Is that sensible? No. Is it a long term strategy? No. But fudge it, it'll feel good and it might just work. And if we are to be successful, there is absolutely no one I'd want leading us more than Poch.

Last edited:
Why would Pochettino accept anything other than a long contract with a big pay off if sacked?

Absolutely this, he has the power of hindsight on his side, he knows whats needed, you would also hope the board know this also. Conte suits him to have short in and out contracts, always has, not sure it suits the club but in terms of the sack it certainly does. I think its non sensical to go to Poch and only offer him till the end of the year

Back