• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Bigger question I think is whether anyone would join now or prefer to wait til the summer. Our lack of creative options is a real problem. I'm not sure how Poch would set us up - perhaps 4-3-3 with attacking FBs and SKipp, PEH, Sarr in midfield?

We could play his 4231 with son kulu porro behind kane.

I’ll go Poch with a caveat that I worry he will have the same loyalty to the players he had during his first spell like Dier for example when he’s one of the first people that needs to go, or at the very least, be exiled from the starting lineup for good.

Bigger question I think is whether anyone would join now or prefer to wait til the summer. Our lack of creative options is a real problem. I'm not sure how Poch would set us up - perhaps 4-3-3 with attacking FBs and SKipp, PEH, Sarr in midfield?

................................Lloris................................
Royal............Romero................Dier...............Davies
.......................Hojbjerg.....Sarr/Skipp...................
Porro...........................Kulu..................Richarlison
..................................Kane..............................

We could play his 4231 with son kulu porro behind kane.

I think its the system that suits our players the most. Attacking FBs, energetic DMs who will fill in when needed (Skippy and Sarr def will) a very decent supporting cast behind Kane on paper....

Honestly, I'd say give Poch the chance to the end of the season, see how it goes. If it doesn't work, no signs of betterment - then at least we tried, and oh well, maybe keep, maybe find someone new in the summer - but we could do with some of the nostalgia and positivity from Poch coming home, surely. It's worth a shot in my book.

Wow, I'm shocked that so many want Poch back at this point. I absolutely loved him, and was devastated when we sacked him - definitely don't think he deserved it. And the Poch years were my best years supporting the club. But personally I don't think his return now would bring back feel-good vibes. It smacks more of desperation to me. Let's not forget that he left at a time when our form and mood was terrible, and he'd be re-joining at a time when our form and mood is poor. Without him having set the world alight in the meantime. I just see this ending badly. I think the mood would turn very quickly if we didn't immediately start getting better results.

I see your point, but at the same time ... we are rather desperate at this point, aren't we?

The club needs a massive lift, and I think Poch would bring that.

Yeah, after a time of clinical cynical Mourinho/Conte-ball, we need some good vibes and freedom in our game again. I can see Poch being able to work well with this squad. He'd have a host of new players that he was missing when he was sacked.

I've said before I'd love to give Ange Postecoglu a go. I think he'd suit us very well.

It's an interesting call - someone who has only worked in 3 pub leagues (Australia, Japan and Scotland). Has he shown any more than say Gerrard?

I know De Zerbi was a bit left field for Brighton, but he'd had 3 years of miracle working at the most exciting un-doped upwardly mobile club in Europe (Sassuolo)

Wow, I'm shocked that so many want Poch back at this point. I absolutely loved him, and was devastated when we sacked him - definitely don't think he deserved it. And the Poch years were my best years supporting the club. But personally I don't think his return now would bring back feel-good vibes. It smacks more of desperation to me. Let's not forget that he left at a time when our form and mood was terrible, and he'd be re-joining at a time when our form and mood is poor. Without him having set the world alight in the meantime. I just see this ending badly. I think the mood would turn very quickly if we didn't immediately start getting better results.

All fair points but things weren’t exactly going great when Poch joined the club in the first place. The first few months were a bit rocky but things turned after we beat Chelsea at home in the league. There’s definitely a chance it could go horribly wrong but as others have said, there aren’t that many obvious options out there. I just hope we don’t take as long as we did when we appointed Nuno, who ultimately turned out to be the wrong man for the job anyway.

I see your point, but at the same time ... we are rather desperate at this point, aren't we?

I guess I don’t have the same sense of desperation that most of the fan base seem to. We’re still competing for 4th, we’re spending good money in the transfer market, we have a decent squad. I think sacking Conte and bringing back Poch makes us look more desperate and clueless than we actually are or need to be. It smacks more to me of rose tinted specs than rational decision-making.

I think we need a fresh start, not a return to a manager who saw us through a 2.5 year slide last time he was here (which, to be clear, I do not blame him for! I just think he comes with more of a psychological burden than a boon).

Are there any precedents for sacked managers returning successfully? I’m sure there are, I just can’t think of any.

Jupp Heynckes won the league and CL in his 3rd spell at Bayern, and the league in his 4th spell.

Capello ended Madrid's big trophy drought with a league win in his 2nd spell

Ancelotti at Madrid (CL and league)

Redknapp at Portsmouth (FA cup)

All fair points but things weren’t exactly going great when Poch joined the club in the first place. The first few months were a bit rocky but things turned after we beat Chelsea at home in the league. There’s definitely a chance it could go horribly wrong but as others have said, there aren’t that many obvious options out there. I just hope we don’t take as long as we did when we appointed Nuno, who ultimately turned out to be the wrong man for the job anyway.

Yeah, but the key difference for me is that Poch would be joining us after leaving last time at a massive low - lower than things are now. I worry that cloud/burden would still hang over us together, especially if things didn’t immediately go brilliantly. He only left 3.5 years ago, and Kane/Son/Lloris/Dier/Davies are still here.

I take the point about lack of alternatives though, and I don’t feel informed enough to suggest any.

I guess that’s why I’m still in a minority that’s not 100% against Conte staying, IF he actually wants to be here (and that’s a big if).

The reason I want him back is that we have a DNA problem at our club and he is the closest we have come to that ever being right since Burkinshaw. He helped (as other before him TBF) and built with the club and the mood and attitude was like nothing I had seen in forever. That was proven with Jose and Conte IMO, Levy sexed up with the idea of an elite manager showing we were not the finished article (As Poch claimed in his last major interview) and we tore up a potential long term culture for boom or bust and it bust. People can argue all they about half season form and whatever under Poch but his record reads that in his last season we went to CL final and made 4th, people creating these half season trophies that don't exist can't and won't accept that and thats fine. But we had our first major dip and we tore up something we built. Poch also navigate the club through the leaving of WHL, the temporary home in Wembley and was the voice to the fans to appease us whilst managing the side, whilst managing 2/3 games a week, whilst having our first window in PL history with no signings and did it with class whilst people often overlook that whilst defending Conte not being able to build a side to play twice a week, defending him not wanting to talk to the press about transfers and defend him not getting the support he needed despite record money spent on any Spurs manager in history. We need a plan, Poch had a plan IMO and we tore it up at the first sign of pain, tell me that worked out for the best? He was right and was proven to be right about the house being built but needing new furniture

For consistency, and to be able to build on a foundation, Tuchel or Conte. The guy is just back from surgery. Hasn't been able to work properly, and has a vision and work to complete. Yes Poch would be a lovely reunion, bringing some more attractive football, but I thought fans were all about adding silverwear?

Last edited:
Jupp Heynckes won the league and CL in his 3rd spell at Bayern, and the league in his 4th spell.

Jose at Chelsea despite being an utter cnut

Fair enough, Heraclitus stands refuted.

-----------------Lloris
Porro-----Romero----Dier----Sessegnon/Davies
------------Skipp------Hojbjerg
--Kulu-----------Kane---------Son
--------------Richarlsion

Basically Kane or Kulu are going to have to cover the #10 role, but I think either would be good there

Back