• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
He did a good job at Lille, but the underlying data suggests he was more lucky than good. PSG and Lyon performed significantly better and Monaco slightly better than Lille. So I wouldn't put too much stock in what happened in that one season.

3 times manager of the year in france. Not 1 season.

Going by how much stuff "journalists" make up, I think it's your position that would be classified as the gullible one.

On the contrary, I'm not naive enough to think everything that the media say is true or what people say is true either when it comes to football.

Last edited:
Ange Postecoglou: The boy from Greece who could become Tottenham's main man

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65509996

This is a good article and includes this part:

He coached at national under-age level but it was almost the end of him. He got sacked, had to go to the Greek third tier to find work, and then came back to Australia, to nothing. Those were scary times.

This is the video that made him unemployable in Australia for a few years. It was quite remarkable how he came back from that to manage Brisbane Roar and turn them into the best footballing team in the A-League (and a 36-game unbeaten run) in just a couple of years.

Fireworks start at 1:27

In aus it's more fore greeks and italians i believe. Europe more for black people.

Just don't use it.

In Australia, it's definitely more mainstream. There are movies and tv shows that use it, it was always "wogball" that I played as a kid.

Definitely doesn't make it any more acceptable to use, and Australia is full of racism being played off as "just a bit of fun." I wasn't aware of the history of using it for black people.

This is a good article and includes this part:

This is the video that made him unemployable in Australia for a few years. It was quite remarkable how he came back from that to manage Brisbane Roar and turn them into the best footballing team in the A-League (and a 36-game unbeaten run) in just a couple of years.

Fireworks start at 1:27

That journo didn't help himself by getting the facts wrong to start with, but from there it was just daft. If you actually spoke to most youth coaches they would say their mandate is to improve players and give them international experience to prepare them for full international football. While getting positive results is a nice aside, the world doesn't end when the U17 team doesn't win.

He's tenacious when questioned, and very calm outwardly, albeit I think he might have lamped "fozzy" had he have been in the same room!

That journo didn't help himself by getting the facts wrong to start with, but from there it was just daft. If you actually spoke to most youth coaches they would say their mandate is to improve players and give them international experience to prepare them for full international football. While getting positive results is a nice aside, the world doesn't end when the U17 team doesn't win.

He's tenacious when questioned, and very calm outwardly, albeit I think he might have lamped "fozzy" had he have been in the same room!

Yep, totally agree. Also worth considering results after that World Cup in question:

South Korea 2007 did not qualify
Nigeria 2009 did not qualify
Mexico 2011 Round of 16
UAE 2013 did not qualify
Chile 2015 Round of 16
India 2017 did not qualify
Brazil 2019 Round of 16

So it's not like Ange was working with a golden generation and failed miserably. Australian youth football has and will likely always struggle. However, there's no doubt it tainted opinion of him for a few years.

Nearly there. My theory for the past couple of weeks is that Scott Munn was the clincher for Ange to be the number one target all along. We just had to wait until his season ended. That explains why we ignored Poch, Nagelsmann etc.

I wonder if the announcement from Levy will mention something like "Ange was at the top of our list all along."

PSG were 1 point behind when Poch was appointed!
Wasn't trying to make this into a Poch discussion but rather making the point that Galtier has struggled with essentially the same side that last season won the league by 15 points! But if you want to, then the fact remains that PSG when Poch took over were in a bad way( by their standards).

Nearly there. My theory for the past couple of weeks is that Scott Munn was the clincher for Ange to be the number one target all along. We just had to wait until his season ended. That explains why we ignored Poch, Nagelsmann etc.

I wonder if the announcement from Levy will mention something like "Ange was at the top of our list all along."

I'm sure something that suggests that will be released, how true that is would be up for debate.

Looks like he is our man and despite my earlier posts there are certainly some boxes that are getting ticked with him - good vibes/motivator/bringing everyone together, attacking football & adaptability (shown by being a success pretty much wherever he has gone across different countries) so there are reasons to be optimistic- the big concern as I've said previously is all that can quickly be rendered immaterial if his approach on the pitch cannot match up to the standard of the PL. Let's hope it does

I’d be concerned if that was the case. Not a chance he was our first choice appointment.

I know you like him but this appointment smacks of scraping the barrel In my opinion.

Will of course give him a chance but if Kane goes this summer we could be up the creek without a paddle.

I dont think he'll go that far. I think he'll say something about patience, needing the season to end, better to get the right man than rushing it etc etc etc

I'm not sure he was our first choice, but think he's a good fit. Not sure it matters either way though whether he was first choice or not....

Hopefully we can now get on with sorting out the DoF position and fixing the mess of a squad

Agreement with Ange was always going to be the easy bit.

Agreement with Celtic potentially harder, depending on what is in his contract...which is impossible to know unless you have the document in front of you

I’d be concerned if that was the case. Not a chance he was our first choice appointment.

I know you like him but this appointment smacks of scraping the barrel In my opinion.

Will of course give him a chance but if Kane goes this summer we could be up the creek without a paddle.

I'm confident he'll surprise you.

Back