• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New England manager = Roy Hodgson

Mancini has far greater players at his disposal than Hughes did. Silva, Aguero, Balotelli and Nasri doesn't really compare to Santa Cruz, Robinho and Adebayor does it?

I agree. A manager such as Ferguson, Mourinho or (spit) Wenger would and should have had the title sewn up ages ago with that squad.

I agree. A manager such as Ferguson, Mourinho or (spit) Wenger would and should have had the title sewn up ages ago with that squad.

I think it's a collective effort. I agree that the truly great managers have more influence in the team's fortunes i.e. Fergie, but look at England for example. Same group of players haven't performed for over 10 years. Capello widely regarded as a great manager couldn't get the best out of them supposedly. Is it all Capello's fault?

You said our policy of leaving signings until the last possible moment and refusing to buy a striker in the last 3 windows has helped us. I don't see how it has. We still don't score enough goals for the amount of chances we create.

Did I say last 3 windows? We were talking about Levy's overall transfers strategy. It has worked well to help us build a squad that can challenge for a CL spot.

I also made the point just below the part you bolded that to push on it would help us to start making our moves earlier in the windows, but that it will cost us and that we might not have the money available to do that at the moment.

I don't really understand how pointing out our poor performance in the first two games this season is relevant.

He impressed me during this interview, more confident about him now.

Lineker saying that the job is "safe hands", probably hinting that we wouldnt know what we were to get with Harry.

What do you reckon, will Roy go for the golden generation or try to blood some youth? I am definitely hoping for the latter

Sent from my Nexus S using Fapatalk 2

So is Woy a better manager than Harry?

Technically far superior, greater attention to preparation, detail and tactics.

Though I do think each managers strengths compliment the others weaknesses - a Harry/Woy mashup love child would be an incredible manager!

Woys attention to detail, Harrys charisma
Woys organisation, Harrys motivation
Woy the suit to face the higher ups, Harry the showman for the press
Woys (often) conservative systems, Harrys attacking beliefs...

Did I say last 3 windows? We were talking about Levy's overall transfers strategy. It has worked well to help us build a squad that can challenge for a CL spot.

I also made the point just below the part you bolded that to push on it would help us to start making our moves earlier in the windows, but that it will cost us and that we might not have the money available to do that at the moment.

I don't really understand how pointing out our poor performance in the first two games this season is relevant.

One of the reasons we got off to such a bad start was we left it till the last day as usual to get our business done. Adebayor and Parker had immediate impacts in their first game for Spurs.

What do you reckon, will Roy go for the golden generation or try to blood some youth? I am definitely hoping for the latter

Sent from my Nexus S using Fapatalk 2

With no time to prepare Im guessing for the Euros he will go with the former. Perhaps with a sprinkling of youth like Walker, Sturridge and Jones.

I believe the issues with the England team run deeper than the manager and have done for a long long time. The higher ups have far to much involvement and I believe pressure for selections etc (no doubt tied to lucrative sponsorship deals)

My fear is that Roy is seen as compliant by the FA, a yes man to do what they want without questioning.

One of the reasons we got off to such a bad start was we left it till the last day as usual to get our business done. Adebayor and Parker had immediate impacts in their first game for Spurs.

August 2010 we apparantly couldnt sign anybody because we were officially in CL, only a play-off. Yet here we are, Arsenal arent even confirmed in 3rd, but they can secure the signing of Podolski, and Chelsea arent even guaranteed CL football, yet they can sign Marin.
Whereas we all know our business will be done on the 30th and 31st August

I understand that. I'm not a complete idiot and it's a fairly easy thing to understand. From the first post you quoted: "I agree that to push on from where we are we should start doing more business earlier however this will come at a cost..."

I'll try to spell out my point. The transfer strategy Levy has used has been good for us and helped us build long term. The couple millions we've saved again and again adds up, that has helped us invest further in the team. Looking for bargains when possible and making a few has saved us money, allowing us to invest more into the team at a later stage and getting more for our money. Long term thinking. I then made the point that to push from here we might have to start doing our business earlier as we're getting to the point where getting better compared to our opponents is getting increasingly more difficult the better we get.

That comes at a cost though. To sign Parker earlier last summer would probably have meant spending 2-3 million more in a transfer fee to sign him. To sign Ade earlier would probably have meant paying 2-3 million more of his wages. Add this up every window and it's a substantial cost.

Those two things, the potential to perform better earlier in the season and the cost have to be weighed up against each other. Cost/benefit.

4-5 seasons ago those extra 1-3 points or whatever we might have picked up on average by signing players earlier most likely wouldn't have been worth the cost, but now it might be. That all depends on the actual finances of the club and what deals are available at any given time though, something we don't have detailed information about.

I hope I was able to make myself clear.

August 2010 we apparantly couldnt sign anybody because we were officially in CL, only a play-off. Yet here we are, Arsenal arent even confirmed in 3rd, but they can secure the signing of Podolski, and Chelsea arent even guaranteed CL football, yet they can sign Marin.
Whereas we all know our business will be done on the 30th and 31st August

1. Both Chelsea and Arsenal spend more money on wages than us, by quite a bit. They can offer more money, makes them more attractive.

2. Both Chelsea and Arsenal have higher profiles than us. Arsenal have been in the CL every year for over a decade now and Chelsea are in the CL final. Makes them more attractive.

Back