• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New England manager = Roy Hodgson

I do hear what your saying. but IMO brown nosing them qunts ain't winning us any prizes. We did that giving them Grade 1 hospitality normally laid on for Royallty in the upcoming Olympics. How about the millions spent smoozing them qunts for our 2018 bid, they had our future king of England bending over being shafted all ways for one vote.

They don't want to politicked, they want knigthoods, lordships, and brown envelopes.

As regards the not minding European powerhouses being financially doped.

Lets get one thing right. The reason FFP is coming in is to make sure these European powerhouses don't go tits up.

Its these clubs that are heavily in debt. No so much EPL teams in comparison.

Also, wasn't it the Germans that led quite a few protests recently against Emirates Marketing Project.

BTW reaching out to grass roots!?

I think the championship is a fantastic league, in some respects (English players) I think it does rather well. Alot better than before the Premiership, when it used to be the old Div 2. You just have to look at the parachute paymeent trickle down. Until this year where it seems to have changed I quite often prefered the championship game at 5:30 instead of the ESPN live EPL saturday game after getting in from the Lane.

Arsenal were not much stronger than they are now. I think you must be confusing time periods if you think that is the case.

GK 1 Jens Lehmann
RB 27 Emmanuel Ebou?®
CB 28 Kolo Tour?®
CB 23 Sol Campbell
LB 3 Ashley Cole
RM 7 Robert Pir?¿s
CM 19 Gilberto Silva
CM 15 Cesc F?ábregas
LM 13 Alexander Hleb
SS 8 Fredrik Ljungberg
CF 14 Thierry Henry (c)
Substitutes:
GK 24 Manuel Almunia
DF 20 Philippe Senderos
DF 22 Ga?½l Clichy
MF 16 Mathieu Flamini
FW 9 Jos?® Antonio Reyes
FW 10 Dennis Bergkamp
FW 11 Robin van Persie

That's their CL final team and bench.

-----------------

While we're taking a stroll though memory lane, Harry managed Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Michael Carrick and Defoe at West Ham...

His 1999-2000 team had: Shaka Hislop, Trevor Sinclair, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Paolo Di Canio, Joe Cole, Neil Ruddock, Paul Kitson, Fr?®d?®ric Kanout?®, Stuart Pearce, Michael Carrick, Ian Wright.

I don't have a point about the second thing, I just found it quite funny and wanted to share.

------------------

Harry IMO could pick his squad tomorrow if he wanted and it wouldn't be any different than if he had 6 months let alone 3 weeks, as would Hodgson.

Yes and no...

I don't think both would have kept tabs on Scott Carson and other players outside the PL. (Although I don't think either would bring back Beckham and I can't think of other players that would be worth keeping an eye on outside of the PL.)

As far as watching your opposition, that's something time would help with.

When it comes to PL players, sure they might know Ruddy, Foster, etc, but picking a 2nd and 3rd choice might not be automatic. Plus Harry might have needed time to talk David James into coming back.

The starting keeper picks himself, the right backs are obvious, the CBs are going to be dodgy. Terry being an accused racist won't help, Ferdinand and Terry have that Wayne Bridge and Terry fibe going... They both know Cahill, Roy might not know the Spurs options, although Dawson is going to be injured and he won't take a punt on King. (After the last half of the season, I'm not sure many of us would take a punt on King, as opposed to before the City game, when a lot of us might have.) Phil Jagielka is another CB option, so they should have preferrences. Left back should be easy, Cole and Baines pick themselves, although Capello preferred Warnock to Baines...

Midfielders, how much are you taking form into this? Sure, DM options are about consistency, but CM and AM might be able goalscoring form, or even taking a close look at Gerrard and comparing him to before his injuries.

Wingers might fall into two classes, goalscoring wingers and playmaker wingers. (For lack of a better term. I probably should have said "the other types" to allow for hardworking Milner types.) The goalscoring ones might depend on form... Especially if you throw people like Sturridge into this, his form in the first half of the season was amazing, in the second half he's been meh.

Strikers might need form looked at too.

Plus, if you take a look at the teams you're playing in your group, you might want players for certain games. I don't know International football very well at all, but I know for club football, it's nice to have an option... In certain games you might want someone to come in like Park does for United, rare appearances for certain types of games... If a team played like Stoke, you might want to have Crouch to defend long throws and stuff. If you play against fast counter-attacking teams, maybe you'd want a fast DM (although Jones as a utility player should get picked and might fill that role.)

I honestly don't know how managers pick international squads.

That said Capello was fudging awful in the World Cup. Joe Cole's specialty is playing against semi-pro footballers, dribbling around two of them by fudging up some tricks and thus creating chances against awful teams.

We didn't play him against weaker teams, we played him against Germany, the worst possible game to play him in.

Heskey was brought on against Germany when we needed to score too... fudge me, I know Shrek and Donkey belong together, but what the fudge was Capello thinking?

Capello's CV is one of the best in the world too, so if he did strange things like that, I've got no hope predicting what Roy will do. (Although Roy isn't stupid. He's usually very very clever with his game plans and substitutes. So I have more faith in that type of situation than I would with Harry throwing Defoe on in place of a midfielder whenever we were chasing a game.)

GK 1 Jens Lehmann
RB 27 Emmanuel Ebou?®
CB 28 Kolo Tour?®
CB 23 Sol Campbell
LB 3 Ashley Cole
RM 7 Robert Pir?¿s
CM 19 Gilberto Silva
CM 15 Cesc F?ábregas
LM 13 Alexander Hleb
SS 8 Fredrik Ljungberg
CF 14 Thierry Henry (c)
Substitutes:
GK 24 Manuel Almunia
DF 20 Philippe Senderos
DF 22 Ga?½l Clichy
MF 16 Mathieu Flamini
FW 9 Jos?® Antonio Reyes
FW 10 Dennis Bergkamp
FW 11 Robin van Persie

That's their CL final team and bench.

-----------------

What I mean is that, in terms of strength compared to the rest of the league, and where they should be...Arsenal were absolutely deserving of being 4th that season and no higher. They also had a lot of injuries to contend with which brought us up close to them (having to play Flamini at left back for nearly all of it was one).

And the discussion was about whether or not Jol's 5th was as good/better than Harry's 5th, or people saying 'well Jol got us 5th so Harry can't be doing that well' and I'm making the claim that 5th then was exactly what we should have got. And I've already backed up this point - people need to look at the rest of the league that season and answer who exactly should be finishing above us? Blackburn were our closest challengers, then Saudi Sportswashing Machine, then Bolton, then West Ham, then Wigan. Everton 11th, Sunderland relegated, and the rest of the league had the likes of Charlton and Middelsbrough there. Does anyone actually think it was an achievement to finish ahead of any of those sides? We absolutely should have gotten at least 5th. Not taking away from Jol's achievement because I loved that season, but what I'm saying is that Harry's 5th is more respectable, because we now have 3 clubs that should have top 3 sewn up, in Chelsea, Man United and Emirates Marketing Project. Arsenal are still roughly the fourth best, and Liverpool have spent a considerable amount. Then there's us, we should be in and around the top 6 no doubt, but it's much more competitive above, and below us with Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Everton there too. Where as before we were without doubt at least the 5th best side, now there are 5 other teams that would have had something to say about that at the start of the season, so to be amoungst them still with a chance of 3rd is an all together tougher and greater acheivement than finishing ahead of Blackburn and Bolton in 2006.

Anyway this is the Roy thread, and on that I thought the article in the Guardian was in poor taste this morning, basically saying that 'senior German figures' question Roy's standing within the game. Then you read the quotes and it's basically Bastian Schweinstieger saying that 'he's a good coach, he's been at Inter Milan and done well with Switzlerland but I haven't heard about what he's like - I've heard more about Harry Redknapp at Tottenham' which is probably because Harry's at a bigger club that was in the CL last season. I thought it was poor from the Guardian, sly digs and I thought they were better than that.

Besides I saw a programme recently where the FA were buying art, they are known to have 100m+ in the kitty.

Surely you're joking? It's well known that the fa has nothing like that sort of money.

In the last 3 years there has been Setanta collapsing, ?ú20m+ per year interest on the loans used to build Wembley, being unable to re-let Soho Square when they moved to Wembley.

County football associations have been seeing their core funding reduced. The fa accounts are available online, it's very clear that there's nothing like that money available - turnover was only around ?ú300m last year.

Back