• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Morgan Schneiderlin

If we wrap up MM in the next day or two, MS will be the only piece of outstanding (incoming) business left to do.

That'll give us 3 weeks to focus on finding a creative solution - maybe throwing someone like Dembele (who used to play for Koeman) or Paulinho in as a makeweight.

It's not like Moutinho in '12 or Willian in '13 when we were juggling 2 or 3 other deals at the same time.

Plus the left winger-type who we're meant to be after

If we wrap up MM in the next day or two, MS will be the only piece of outstanding (incoming) business left to do.

That'll give us 3 weeks to focus on finding a creative solution - maybe throwing someone like Dembele (who used to play for Koeman) or Paulinho in as a makeweight.

It's not like Moutinho in '12 or Willian in '13 when we were juggling 2 or 3 other deals at the same time.

Whats the chances of that happening?

We need to move on. As i said before...when a chairman makes these definite statements (not for sale at any price", "will not be sold" and he's referring specifically to one player then it rarely turns out that the player is sold.

Whats the chances of that happening?

Looks likely. It looks like us and Villareal are all agreed and it's now just a matter of them trying to bargain a bit more out of River Plate and the agent.

Apparently they are close to getting Corluka in as his replacement.

We need to move on. As i said before...when a chairman makes these definite statements (not for sale at any price", "will not be sold" and he's referring specifically to one player then it rarely turns out that the player is sold.

The same guy said exactly the same thing about Lovren a few weeks ago.

I also don’t think we need to move on. Schneiderlin has always been a 'nice to have', rather than an essential.

Capoue's form and Sandro's fitness in pre-season have to some degree lessened the need even more.

I can't see us moving on to a Claise, Banega or Badelj in the way we moved on to MM after Lovren and Moreno didn't work out. I think we'll just keep trying for MS knowing we have nothing to lose.

I don't think he said that about Lovren.

I'd much prefer we sign a central attacking midfielder (with the ability to play on the left) so not bothered anyway. Thuvian and Douglas Costa are names that excite me more.

Last edited:
I also don’t think we need to move on. Schneiderlin has always been a 'nice to have', rather than an essential.

Capoue's form and Sandro's fitness in pre-season have to some degree lessened the need even more.

I can't see us moving on to a Claise, Banega or Badelj in the way we moved on to MM after Lovren and Moreno didn't work out. I think we'll just keep trying for MS knowing we have nothing to lose.

Have to agree with you on Schneiderlin, we have plenty of cover in midfield that makes buying unneccesary, to me he's a "wouldn't mind having" rather than a "must have" player.

Dembele, Holtby, Paulinho, Sandro, Capoue, Benteleb (not to mention Carroll and Mason).

I agree that it's more then enough. Lets simply give Benteleb the opportunity to develop, lets try Holtby in a deeper position as he seems to have the tools to play there, lets not be stupid and shift Sandro etc etc. I'm more then happy with these options....so lets get an advanced creative player.

I think if we miss out on this signing we will regret it. Capoue has looked good in some of the preseason games (not his first one mind) but one swallow doesn't make a summer. For various reasons it hasn't happened for Capoue at Spurs and I'm not inclined to invest all my trust in him just yet. Schneiderlin looks to me to be the perfect Carrick-esque type of player that we have been hankering for and I have a feeling if we miss out we will be looking back in a season or two (when he has gone to the goons) and cursing that we did not get him. So for me this is the only 'must sign' left in the window. Even more so than the Mustachio chap.

I think if we miss out on this signing we will regret it. Capoue has looked good in some of the preseason games (not his first one mind) but one swallow doesn't make a summer. For various reasons it hasn't happened for Capoue at Spurs and I'm not inclined to invest all my trust in him just yet. Schneiderlin looks to me to be the perfect Carrick-esque type of player that we have been hankering for and I have a feeling if we miss out we will be looking back in a season or two (when he has gone to the goons) and cursing that we did not get him. So for me this is the only 'must sign' left in the window. Even more so than the Mustachio chap.

Disagree, we need a top centre back far more than another CM. Capoue has massive potential, its pretty obvious why he hasn't hit the heights yet. MS is a very good player but a nice to have more than a necessity.....

Dembele, Holtby, Paulinho, Sandro, Capoue, Benteleb (not to mention Carroll and Mason).

I agree that it's more then enough. Lets simply give Benteleb the opportunity to develop, lets try Holtby in a deeper position as he seems to have the tools to play there, lets not be stupid and shift Sandro etc etc. I'm more then happy with these options....so lets get an advanced creative player.

My ideal scenario would be to shift Dembele and Paulinho - leaving Sandro and Capoue as the DMs and MS and Benteleb as the deep ballplayers. All 4 of them are hardworking pressers and use the ball effectively. Any combination of the 4 would be very strong (recognising Bentaleb would be the junior partner).

I think once we get rid of some of the blockages to moving the ball forward quickly (Dembele and Paulinho), our existing AMs will be far more effective.

Interestingly, I remember Capoue often being compared to Carrick in his days in France. He's also (prior to the last 6 months_ been ahead of him for that role in the France national team pecking order.

If Poch thinks Schneiderlin is what he needs then Levy should do what he can. Schneiderlin can force the move, as unsavoury as that is.

I think it's key that we get someone in one of those two deeper positions that can transition the ball quickly to Eriksen, Lamela and co so the opposition can't set themselves as they did last year as we were so slow and cumbersome in our build up play. Gerrard dropping deep for Liverpool changed so much about the quickness with which Liverpool attacked sides. It was a key decision from Rodgers.

I think you are maybe underestimating the position in Pochettino's thinking. It seems a key role. How well can Capoue do it? Also Schneiderlin already subscribes to Poch's philosophy. This cannot be emphasised enough.

Mumorn...hmmm what has made you change your stance from page 16? he still wants to leave.

Just think we will move on for now and focus on centre half and player for left side with our money. Poch will try get best out of what he has in central midfield I feel.

Disagree, we need a top centre back far more than another CM. Capoue has massive potential, its pretty obvious why he hasn't hit the heights yet. MS is a very good player but a nice to have more than a necessity.....
I like Capoue too but his potential has not been realised yet in the PL whereas Schneiderlin has done it in the PL and for very own manager no less in his preferred system!! A lot of posters have both players in their lineup but IMO they are that similar in playing style as to unbalance our CM if both played.

You could be right that our immediate need is probably for a CB but the Schnedierlin transfer is the one we will regret more if it doesn't happen (IMHO of course ;))

Last edited:
Interestingly, I remember Capoue often being compared to Carrick in his days in France. He's also (prior to the last 6 months_ been ahead of him for that role in the France national team pecking order.

To my eyes Capoue is similar in position and style to Carrick, as is Schneiderlin.

If Poch thinks Schneiderlin is what he needs then Levy should do what he can. Schneiderlin can force the move, as unsavoury as that is.

I think it's key that we get someone in one of those two deeper positions that can transition the ball quickly to Eriksen, Lamela and co so the opposition can't set themselves as they did last year as we were so slow and cumbersome in our build up play. Gerrard dropping deep for Liverpool changed so much about the quickness with which Liverpool attacked sides. It was a key decision from Rodgers.

I think you are maybe underestimating the position in Pochettino's thinking. It seems a key role. How well can Capoue do it? Also Schneiderlin already subscribes to Poch's philosophy. This cannot be emphasised enough.

Holtby and Benteleb can do it.

Yep CB is more important imo.

Holtby and Benteleb can do it.

Not proven though. I agree they show potential to be able to but Schneiderlin is proven for Pochettino. I don't think we should be held to ransom over the guy at all. But I'm all for it if Pochettino thinks he's the man we need.

Can Holtby and Bentaleb be as effective as what Gerrard was for Liverpool? I guess we'll need to stick with them and find out. You know me, previously, I like you wanted Sandro and Dembele to be our axis. I still kind of do. But we need them to be able to shift the ball a lot quicker. Poch has some work to do.

We have a fascinating array of midfielders, all with different attributes. He needs to cut some of them though, will involve losing some that we like

I agree. It will also make life easier for our CBs because they will have someone available who they can play a simple ball to feet to and they will be able to do something with it.

Back