• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mens fashion...

OK, thanks for all the help so far. Next question:

Hats. I'm not a hat wearer generally, it's not my thing. I will be spending most of a day in Pompeii this summer though, and the one thing literally everyone who's been keeps saying is to wear a hat as there's no shelter.

Mr Porter hasn't got one single hat in it's what to wear (vacation) pages so that's done nothing other than confirm my opinions on people who wear hats.

So WTF do I buy? And if any Madness-loving kn0bhead suggests a trilby or similar I'll kick you in the sponge.

british-pith-helmet.jpg

???

OK, thanks for all the help so far. Next question:

Hats. I'm not a hat wearer generally, it's not my thing. I will be spending most of a day in Pompeii this summer though, and the one thing literally everyone who's been keeps saying is to wear a hat as there's no shelter.

Mr Porter hasn't got one single hat in it's what to wear (vacation) pages so that's done nothing other than confirm my opinions on people who wear hats.

So WTF do I buy? And if any Madness-loving kn0bhead suggests a trilby or similar I'll kick you in the sponge.
Lock & Co. I'd go for a Panama because I'm that way inclined. I am saving up - or waiting for a massive paycheck - before I "invest" in a proper Panama.

Lock & Co. I'd go for a Panama because I'm that way inclined. I am saving up - or waiting for a massive paycheck - before I "invest" in a proper Panama.

Panama! Great choice.

Has all the function of a hat but allows one to look like a proper gent, rather than a chav.

I think I'll get a 'tester' before investing too though - that's a lot of money for something I might wear about 3 days per year.

Anyone got advice on shirts?

Decided I needed a new suit for an upcoming wedding as mine was basically trash, so got myself a nice Hugo boss suit and was happy to pay the money for that and the tailoring as it's something which should keep going for ages. I couldn't justify 80-100 quid for a single boss shirt though, despite the fact it looked fantastic.

Any similarly nice shirts out there for 30-40 quid?

Need to get to a bigger m&s I reckon then, the one near me sells bugger all in the mens department!

Need to get to a bigger m&s I reckon then, the one near me sells bugger all in the mens department!

I can vouch for the M&S white shirts - better than the CT or TM Lewins of this world. Non iron is very good. Although you do have to iron them still

Hats look brick. Unless you're in a band you look like a complete qunt.
Yeah they're toss now that i think about it. I wore a pork pie hat a while ago but realised after a summer's worth of use that hats don't really suit me. Don't get me started on snapbacks either.Some people really suit them, but I'd rather show my hair off than anything else - especially if I'm paying 15 quid for a haircut.

Yeah they're toss now that i think about it. I wore a pork pie hat a while ago but realised after a summer's worth of use that hats don't really suit me. Don't get me started on snapbacks either.Some people really suit them, but I'd rather show my hair off than anything else - especially if I'm paying 15 quid for a haircut.

I hate hats too but an alarming increase in grey hairs over the last couple of months I may need to change my opinion or get a skinhead

Anyone got advice on shirts?

Decided I needed a new suit for an upcoming wedding as mine was basically trash, so got myself a nice Hugo boss suit and was happy to pay the money for that and the tailoring as it's something which should keep going for ages. I couldn't justify 80-100 quid for a single boss shirt though, despite the fact it looked fantastic.

Any similarly nice shirts out there for 30-40 quid?
Hang on, hang on..... so you lashed out on a Boss suit, and then you want to save on the shirt? False economy in my book. "Going out" shirts I'm less fussed about if I'm honest. I'll have any number of Ted Baker, Paul Smith, Kenzo, heck, even John Lewis and Duffer ones. Work shirts though..... having worn a variety over the years, I've settled on Hilditch & Key as the best in terms of quality:value ratio. Yes, there are better shirts out there - Turnbull & Asser comes to mind - but H&K tinkle all over Lewin, CT, etc.

Now, the problem with something like H&K is that they really only do what I class as proper work shirts. Depends what you want it for. I actually wore a cream H&K shirt with brown H&K tie and tiger eye cufflinks, with a Ted Baker suit for my wedding. Better than a rental from Moss. ;) The suit gets worn a couple of times a year now. More than the wife's wedding dress at any rate!

Like all "proper" Jermyn Street shirtmakers though - they aren't "slim" fit, and they're expensive unless you buy them in the sale. Even then, it's a little above your budget. £50-odd for one I think. Sadly for you, their City sale finished last week.

My tuppence worth.

Hang on, hang on..... so you lashed out on a Boss suit, and then you want to save on the shirt? False economy in my book. "Going out" shirts I'm less fussed about if I'm honest. I'll have any number of Ted Baker, Paul Smith, Kenzo, heck, even John Lewis and Duffer ones. Work shirts though..... having worn a variety over the years, I've settled on Hilditch & Key as the best in terms of quality:value ratio. Yes, there are better shirts out there - Turnbull & Asser comes to mind - but H&K tinkle all over Lewin, CT, etc.

Now, the problem with something like H&K is that they really only do what I class as proper work shirts. Depends what you want it for. I actually wore a cream H&K shirt with brown H&K tie and tiger eye cufflinks, with a Ted Baker suit for my wedding. Better than a rental from Moss. ;) The suit gets worn a couple of times a year now. More than the wife's wedding dress at any rate!

Like all "proper" Jermyn Street shirtmakers though - they aren't "slim" fit, and they're expensive unless you buy them in the sale. Even then, it's a little above your budget. £50-odd for one I think. Sadly for you, their City sale finished last week.

My tuppence worth.

I might stretch to 50 if it really seemed worth the extra money.

The thing with suits is nice ones seem to last forever and this isn't going to be a wear every day at work suit so I fully expect to be wearing it years down the line and the difference between good suits and bad suits is huge. Why pay 150 for a crap looking,Ill fitting suit from Burtons / next which won't last, when 400 (sale down from 550) gets a fantastic looking and nicely made one that fits perfectly.

Shirts I just don't see the same appeal - normally I can find ones that fit, most of the time they're largely covered up by a suit and tie, and they never seem as if they'll last as long as a suit (though I might be mistaken there having not owned any of the high end ones!)

That said there was definately a big difference between the shirts I currently own (20ish a pop from various high street stores) and the 100 quid boss shirt I tried with the suit, but not 5x the difference! Just figured there's got to be a happier medium in between the two extremes :)

I'll try and get to a bigger M&S and see what I can find!

I can vouch for the M&S white shirts - better than the CT or TM Lewins of this world. Non iron is very good. Although you do have to iron them still

It's what M&S do well.......to be fair they have a great tie selection as well.

Just wondering - for your guys that work in a suit each day - how many shirts, ties and suits do you use regularly? I just wanted to have a rough figure in the back of my mind for when I progress to a full-time job. Do you wear the same suit every week or interchange every week or something?

I don't have to wear a suit every day so I have 3 boss suits that cost me £500 each....worth investing in.

Then I have around 6/7 nice shirts, blue/pink/striped that can interchange with the suit.

The beauty of white shirts with shuits is you can just use different ties for a different look, always using different combos.

Suits are Grey/Blue/Black

I have Austin Reed suits four of them but also have three French Connection suits for the crappy day job in the office. I wear them interchangeably though so not to wear them out. The Austin Reed suits are pricey but love em - they fit well, they breathe and look cool.

I have about 18 shirts but half of them are white - you just cannot go wrong with white. I also have pink and blue a couple of striped shirts etc. I have about 30 ties - I buy ties for fun.

I have spent a great deal on work clothes and its even more astonishing when some clients dress like fudgein tramps and im dressed to kill.

Ultimately as Leeds said it is the shirt and tie combos that really differ and make a suit look so fudgein different.

White cotton shirts are for school children or politicians.

Live a little guys. Add a bit of colour to your wardrobe.

White linen is acceptable on a sunny day

Back