• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Memphis Depay

Ah, I see it.

I can only assume it's not counted because it's taking the player away from goal.

Just looked at another site and they've counted it, although they count 3 fewer dribbles so swing and roundabouts. Even so, I'd expect far more attacking output (and at least a single defensive action) from one of our forwards, wouldn't you?

It depends.... Perhaps Townsend tracked Ashley Cole's runs so well that Chelsea weren't able to get him the ball in an attacking situation? Perhaps Townsend was playing so well that Cole couldn't get forward at all? Perhaps you could ask the professional who is paid to record these things?

"As for the stats - they can be interpreted rightly or wrongly, but the beauty of them is that they are recorded live by a professional who is paid to do so."

Oops - I guess they had better go and claim those wages back from that highly paid *professional! :lol:

*for professional read "minimum wage university student earning some beer money and probably barely watching the game".

That depends on how you want to interpret key chance. Take the extreme example:

Player A passes to player B in a manner that forces him really wide - out towards the corner flag. Player B decides "Fvck it" and hits a shot anyway, missing wildly.

Under the strictest definition of a key pass, that counts, realistically we don't want it to count. So if we're being really generous to Townsend he had one useful action offensively or defensively in his best match for us last season. Doesn't bode well IMO.

Player A passes to player B in a manner that forces him really wide - out towards the corner flag. Player B decides "Fvck it" and hits a shot anyway, missing wildly.

Under the strictest definition of a key pass, that counts, realistically we don't want it to count. So if we're being really generous to Townsend he had one useful action offensively or defensively in his best match for us last season. Doesn't bode well IMO.

If you are likening Paulinho's chance to this sort of scenario then you are really clutching at straws. Why don't you just admit that the stats you picked were clearly flawed in this instance? (and who knows what other instances).

Ah, I see it.

I can only assume it's not counted because it's taking the player away from goal.

Just looked at another site and they've counted it, although they count 3 fewer dribbles so swing and roundabouts. Even so, I'd expect far more attacking output (and at least a single defensive action) from one of our forwards, wouldn't you?

wow...what an amateur and bogus website that must be.

If my attacking winger

1) was dribbling past opposition players with ease
2) Created a clear cut chance with a lovely run and sweet pass (he can't help his teammate missing a sitter).
3) created an other clear chance by twisting past 2 players and releasing a teammate with a perfectly timed ball ....the teammate proceeds to make a bad pass (according to you).

I say job well done. My eyes tell me he was very effective and played really well so the stats gurus on random websites can say whatever they want (and judging by the way they discredit the pass leading to a clear chance i'm very glad i don't pay attention to it).

hahahahahahahaha really generous? oh man you're unreal.

If you are likening Paulinho's chance to this sort of scenario then you are really clutching at straws. Why don't you just admit that the stats you picked were clearly flawed in this instance? (and who knows what other instances). [/readfail]

I said my example was the extreme. Clearly at some point between the two extremes, one has to decide whether it counts or not. Squawka says no, the other site (I think it was Whoscored) says yes.

Either way it doesn't really make a huge input from a player.

I didn't say "best" - again, please read. I said "most rounded", i.e - very little bad and lots of good solid play. If you want a statbuster performance then look at Villa away: 3 key passes, 5 successful dribbles, 4 accurate crosses, 5 shots, 2 tackles and 1 goal. He's had a bunch of performances like that but it was accompanied by some bad play but for someone so inexperienced you should be looking at what he does right and see if you can improve on that rather than looking at things he did wrong.

Last edited:
wow...what an amateur and bogus website that must be.

If my attacking winger

1) was dribbling past opposition players with ease
2) Created a clear cut chance with a lovely run and sweet pass (he can't help his teammate missing a sitter).
3) created an other clear chance by twisting past 2 players and releasing a teammate with a perfectly timed ball ....the teammate proceeds to make a bad pass (according to you).

I say job well done. My eyes tell me he was very effective and played really well so the stats gurus on random websites can say whatever they want (and judging by the way they discredit the pass leading to a clear chance i'm very glad i don't pay attention to it).

Squawka is highly regarded and relys on Opta stats, the same as everyone else.

I didn't say "best" - again, please read. I said "most rounded", i.e - very littler bad and lots of good solid play. If you want a statbuster performance then look at Villa away: 3 key passes, 5 successful dribbles, 4 accurate crosses, 5 shots, 1 goal. He's had a bunch of performances like that but it was accompanied by some bad play but for someone so inexperienced you should be looking at what he does right and see if you can improve on that rather than looking at things he did wrong.

What he does right (dribbling) will never have a regular effect on matches unless he can improve upon what he does wrong (decision making). If he can learn to read a match and make the right decisions at this stage in his career, and it's not unheard of, he could be very good. If he continues on his current trajectory then he'll never be good enough.

It depends.... Perhaps Townsend tracked Ashley Cole's runs so well that Chelsea weren't able to get him the ball in an attacking situation? Perhaps Townsend was playing so well that Cole couldn't get forward at all? Perhaps you could ask the professional who is paid to record these things?

He did try to make a tackle - on John Terry. He missed.

I said my example was the extreme. Clearly at some point between the two extremes, one has to decide whether it counts or not. Squawka says no, the other site (I think it was Whoscored) says yes.

Either way it doesn't really make a huge input from a player.

I saw it with my own eyes when at the game and thought "ooh that was a nice run and pass and a good chance for Paulinho". What did you think having watched it (seemingly for the first time) just now on the video? Do YOU think that Whoscored or Squawka were right?.... and do you think that Squawka have a rather strange interpretation of creating a chance or just that the university student wasn't watching at that point?

I saw it with my own eyes when at the game and thought "ooh that was a nice run and pass and a good chance for Paulinho". What did you think having watched it (seemingly for the first time) just now on the video? Do YOU think that Whoscored or Squawka were right?.... and do you think that Squawka have a rather strange interpretation of creating a chance or just that the university student wasn't watching at that point?

I think that it was a chance, but far from a good one. Even if the shot was better most keepers would be disappointed in letting it in from that angle.

The shot angle could have been better, but Paulinho had to turn away from goal to pick up the ball from behind him - in that time he's travelled another pace or two forwards.

Depay just come on for PSV and got a goal and assist in 5 minutes :lol:

So he's cup-tied now.

He will go to Man Utd in January/next summer and become a star and we'll sit here regretting not splashing out that little bit extra in 2014

Back