• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Memphis Depay

0.6 accurate crosses per match (15 accurate out of 78 attempts). I'm not sure what the rate is for other players, but it sounds a lot like his shooting - doesn't lack willingness to try but could do with a bit of ability.

I think that says as much about Soldado's poor start to last season and the lack of runners into the box as it does about Townsend's crossing.

AVB ****ed Townsend up. I'd like to see how he does under a manager who gets the team attacking in numbers before I write him off.

It's here at 1:55

There's also another before that started with him at 1:05. He's had more standout games but this was a very mature performance, always making the right decisions, something people had been wanting to see. We lost our way when he went off, coincidentally being replaced by Chadli.

I can see why it's not counted - it didn't touch a Spurs player.

Whilst it was a comparative high point it was another example of poor decision-making.

1) Crosses are a very low-return method of attack
2) Ivanovic is incredible at defending that kind of ball
3) Paulinho is unlikely to outpace his man - even a slow one

Like I said, that's a comparative high point and for fans like us who've been brought up on English football it's exciting to see too. But it is very unlikely that what he did was ever going to cause the ball to be in the back of the net.

Or maybe you watched a different match? Or (more likely) the stats are just incorrect?

I watched every single Spurs PL match last season in HD. I always do, whether I've been at the match, whether I watch it live or whether I have to watch it after the event.

As for the stats - they can be interpreted rightly or wrongly, but the beauty of them is that they are recorded live by a professional who is paid to do so.

In the words of someone who knows far more about this sh1t than you or I could ever hope to:

Dr Steven Novella said:
You have a distorted and constructed memory of a distorted and constructed perception, both of which are subservient to whatever narrative your brain is operating under.

I think that says as much about Soldado's poor start to last season and the lack of runners into the box as it does about Townsend's crossing.

AVB ****ed Townsend up. I'd like to see how he does under a manager who gets the team attacking in numbers before I write him off.

8/50 successful crosses under the dinotard attacking genius Redknapp.

I can see why it's not counted - it didn't touch a Spurs player.

Whilst it was a comparative high point it was another example of poor decision-making.

1) Crosses are a very low-return method of attack
2) Ivanovic is incredible at defending that kind of ball
3) Paulinho is unlikely to outpace his man - even a slow one

Like I said, that's a comparative high point and for fans like us who've been brought up on English football it's exciting to see too. But it is very unlikely that what he did was ever going to cause the ball to be in the back of the net.

I swear that was Soldado that crossed it?

..........as a callow youth.

And once again, crosses are only as good as the attacking movement in the penalty area.

Townsend has the tools. There is no doubt about that. The only question is whether he can be taught good decision making and tactical awareness (both of which are likely to be more responsible for your crossing stats than any inability on Townsend's part to cross the ball).

..........as a callow youth.

And once again, crosses are only as good as the attacking movement in the penalty area.

Townsend has the tools. There is no doubt about that. The only question is whether he can be taught good decision making and tactical awareness (both of which are likely to be more responsible for your crossing stats than any inability on Townsend's part to cross the ball).

So AVB did or didn't ruin him? He started off pretty poor at passing/crossing/shooting/decision making and excellent at dribbling. He's now pretty poor at passing/crossing/shooting/decision making and excellent at dribbling.

I agree that if he can be taught tactical awareness and decision making there's a good player in there. My point has always been that at 23 he's showing no signs - as much as I'd like Poch to be able to coach some monster out of him, I can't see it.

So in that case.

1. He is improving (16% up to 20%)
2. When playing under Redknapp - Townsend was apparently a better crosser than Christiano Ronaldo was in season 2012-2013....

Ronaldo's 580 successful passes on 751 attempts give him an average of 32.7 passes per match with a 77.2 percent passing accuracy..... He is an infrequent crosser, managing to connect on six of his 52 cross attempts. He's more efficient with through balls and long balls, successfully linking with teammates on 11-of-20 long balls and 6-of- 20 through balls.

Could be - can't see a thing on that crappy video and was taking Rossi's word for it. In which case his key passes were 0 and his chance creation was 0.

Yeh but it was ****e decision making from Soldado right? Townsend went past a player with ease and fed Soldado a lovely ball before his ****e decision making ****ed it up (according to you).

He made a key pass to Invisibilinho who proceeded to miss a sitter.

So in that case.

1. He is improving (16% up to 20%)
2. When playing under Redknapp - Townsend was apparently a better crosser than Christiano Ronaldo was in season 2012-2013....

Ronaldo's 580 successful passes on 751 attempts give him an average of 32.7 passes per match with a 77.2 percent passing accuracy..... He is an infrequent crosser, managing to connect on six of his 52 cross attempts. He's more efficient with through balls and long balls, successfully linking with teammates on 11-of-20 long balls and 6-of- 20 through balls.

He's probably a better crosser than all kinds of players that excel in other areas. If Townsend can knock in 42 goals in a Premier League season then I think we can forgive him his poor crossing.

(I still insist that crossing is a really silly thing for any PL wide player to do unless they're a late-arriving full back).

He has chose to ignore that one (because it spoils his argument both in terms of Townsend being rubbish and the stats obviously being wrong).

When did that happen? Rossi only mentioned the one at 1.05

I'm not ignoring it - the point wasn't made in the first place.

Yeh but it was ****e decision making from Soldado right? Townsend went past a player with ease and fed Soldado a lovely ball before his ****e decision making ****ed it up (according to you).

If that's the case, yeah. That's not addressing the point being discussed though, which was that Townsend didn't have any key passes, shots, defensive contributions or chances created in what's apparently his best game of the season.

He made a key pass to Invisibilinho who proceeded to miss a sitter.

What time in the video does that happen?

So AVB did or didn't ruin him? He started off pretty poor at passing/crossing/shooting/decision making and excellent at dribbling. He's now pretty poor at passing/crossing/shooting/decision making and excellent at dribbling.

I agree that if he can be taught tactical awareness and decision making there's a good player in there. My point has always been that at 23 he's showing no signs - as much as I'd like Poch to be able to coach some monster out of him, I can't see it.

AVB did **** him up.

The previous season, he had been a star for QPR in the Premier League. Under AVB, he went horribly backwards (though the latent ability was still clearly there when in an England shirt).

1:57

How exactly is that not considered a key pass:ross:

Ah, I see it.

I can only assume it's not counted because it's taking the player away from goal.

Just looked at another site and they've counted it, although they count 3 fewer dribbles so swing and roundabouts. Even so, I'd expect far more attacking output (and at least a single defensive action) from one of our forwards, wouldn't you?

1:57

How exactly is that not considered a key pass:ross:

"As for the stats - they can be interpreted rightly or wrongly, but the beauty of them is that they are recorded live by a professional who is paid to do so."

Oops - I guess they had better go and claim those wages back from that highly paid *professional! :lol:

*for professional read "minimum wage university student earning some beer money and probably barely watching the game".

Back