• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

I wonder if we get to a final whether he would say the days before that he would leave if we won.

Was never impressed in the FA cup semi finals or champs league or league cup final with the tactics he played. Wonder whether the academy players would mind having to stay at the club rather then get league experience.
In the last 2 seasons, in domestic tournaments, we have had our arses handed back to us by Chelsea, Middlesbrough and Norwich. This has been under 2 highly decorated managers. We've gone from Champions League final to humiliation in the Europa League followed by humiliation in the Europa Conference. We don't look close to being the top 4 team we were under Poch And then fans are complaining he didn't get us over the line in the PL and Champions League? When really the question should be how the fudge did he get us to second place in the league and to the Champions League final at all?

In the last 2 seasons, in domestic tournaments, we have had our arses handed back to us by Chelsea, Middlesbrough and Norwich. This has been under 2 highly decorated managers. We've gone from Champions League final to humiliation in the Europa League followed by humiliation in the Europa Conference. We don't look close to being the top 4 team we were under Poch And then fans are complaining he didn't get us over the line in the PL and Champions League? When really the question should be how the fudge did he get us to second place in the league and to the Champions League final at all?

because we had a better starting eleven than anyone else in Europe, the best cb partnership, the best AM and the best forward line in the game at that time

Would love to see how many here have any deeper thoughts on what it might be like working for blood money billionaires who buy the shiniest things even if they don't fit the scheme. I firmly believe Pochettino is told he must play Messi and Neymar whenever both are fit and they must remain on the pitch. He subbed Messi once and it was headline news for two or three days. Insane. Everyone saw that Messi and Neymar were costing PSG last night, even at 1 up. I felt Poch made a mistake with Parades sub as he was bossing it, but given the bloke was working to make up for the absent efforts of others, he was likely knackered.

The Poch-Spurs bashers will never change, sadly context does not exist in those discussions.

I must admit I was shocked he went there for that reason, he would have little or no say over transfers which is what he wanted more of at Spurs and was always going to be a lose lose situation - win CL it’s because of bottomless funds, don’t and you can’t win with the best and unlimited funds.

I guess the pull of being an ex player was too much and overrided common sense.

Maybe that’s why he’s been making sounds about leaving since the summer.

I do think he is a level below the best managers, maybe that’s why it clicked at Spurs for so long.

Think it was the team not the manager.

He is not a bad manager, he is actually better then average. But he is not good enough.

because we had a better starting eleven than anyone else in Europe, the best cb partnership, the best AM and the best forward line in the game at that time
I don't think that was true even at its peak it was not even the best in the PL. We may have had some very good players but not a great squad. He made the team better than the sum of its parts. I think that the team did so well has deluded fans into believing it was always destined to be brilliant without them realising he was the magic factor that brought it all together.

By the time of the Champions League final he had Winks and Sissoko in Midfield, Eriksen was a shadow of the player he had been, same with Rose and Toby, Walker long gone. Some brilliant revisionist posting. I believe we have a better team now than then.

Have to agree with @thfcsteff, Poch takes a huge amount of credit for creating that team. He inherited a first eleven with Kaboul, Adebayor and some other misfits and got them out and got the likes of Mason, Kane and so on in.

When he arrived, not too many rated Danny Rose. Vertonghen was also accused of not caring by a lot of fans and was hammered by Tactics Tim. Dembele was going nowhere. He’d flattered to deceive for 2-3 years. Poch got those boys playing, brought in the kids and the club bought well, with Poch’s assistance, in Son and Alderweireld. He made Dier a very effective holding midfielder in what I thought was a nonsense move. If we had the best starting eleven, then Poch was the architect of that more than anyone else. Even Eriksen had been a bit hit and miss up to then. Poch got a tune from him consistently.

Im not sure we ever had the best team though. Look at the semis and finals we were in. Were we ever favourites? We certainly didn’t have the best squad. When Kane was out Janssen was in. Wimmer was our reserve defender for a time. If Wanyama or Dembele were injured we were looking at Sissoko. Son, Alli or Eriksen were out and Njie or Nkoudou were in the frame. Beyond the top 13 players, we never had much.

For me, Poch did and unbelievable job when you factor everything in. That he got us to a CL final and top 4 with a midfield of Winks and Sissoko is a head scratcher. My only reservations about him coming back is that Conte deserves our full support right now but, more than that, I’m not sure Poch could scale the heights he did before if he came back. He didn’t win us trophies but he did work miracles in my book.

And I’m going to go full fan boy here but whenever I see pictures of him in Spurs gear, everything looks right in the world again.

Last edited:
Him, Levy, the scouts, the academy.

If I go to the store and buy the right ingredients, I still get some of the blame if I burn the cake.
If you get to the Masterchef final you are clearly a bloody good chef…. When you have a couple of Michelin Starred chefs following you who do considerably worse than you do then it only emphasises that.

Have to agree with @thfcsteff, Poch takes a huge amount of credit for creating that team. He inherited a first eleven with Kaboul, Adebayor and some other misfits and got them out and got the likes of Mason, Kane and so on in.

When he arrived, not too many rated Danny Rose. Vertonghen was also accused of not caring by a lot of fans and was hammered by Tactics Tim. Dembele was going nowhere. He’d flattered to deceive for 2-3 years. Poch got those boys playing, brought in the kids and the club bought well, with Poch’s assistance, in Son and Alderweireld. He made Dier a very effective holding midfielder in what I thought was a nonsense move. If we had the best starting eleven, then Poch was the architect of that more than anyone else. Even Eriksen had been a bit hit and miss up to then. Poch got a tune from him consistently.

Im not sure we ever had the best team though. Look at the semis and finals we were in. Were we ever favourites? We certainly didn’t have the best squad. When Kane was out Janssen was in. Wimmer was our reserve defender for a time. If Wanyama or Dembele were injured we were looking at Sissoko. Son, Alli or Eriksen were out and Njie or Nkoudou were in the frame. Beyond the top 13 players, we never had much.

For me, Poch did and unbelievable job when you factor everything in. That he got us to a CL final and top 4 with a midfield of Winks and Sissoko is a head scratcher. My only reservations about him coming back is that Conte deserves our full support right now but, more than that, I’m not sure Poch could scale the heights he did before if he came back. He didn’t win us trophies but he did work miracles in my book.

And I’m going to go full fan boy here but whenever I see pictures of him in Spurs gear, everything looks right in the world again.
The club (and by this I mean the owners) didn’t deserve him back then, didn’t appreciate him when they had him and they certainly don’t deserve to have him back now.

Back