• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

At present I would prefer he stays, but to be honest I would not be not that bothered he went. A decent manager, but no more than that

At present I would prefer he stays, but to be honest I would not be not that bothered he went. A decent manager, but no more than that
Wow! If you think it is going to be easy to bring in a replacement who will do as well or better than Poch then I think you will be very dissapointed with what we actually end up with. Poch will walk into any top side.

You described yourself earlier as an objective Spurs fan but there is very little objectivity to any of your posts. You focus totally on the negatives while failing to acknowledge the huge positives such as the fact that Poch has got the team to 2nd in the table and in the FA cup quarter final.

I don't know if you are a Spurs fan or not but the tone of your posts is rather similar to someone trolling a message board.

I'd be interested in who you think we could get who'd do better under the same recruitment policy.

We both know Simon has no ideas with regards to your question. I won't hold my breath waiting for one. Every time he has been asked a reasonable, simple question in the threads to which he has contributed, there has been no reply. Simon appears happiest to respond when accused of trolling/being a goon, etc.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I just don't see him leaving, at least not until he's won a trophy or two although that might just be me being hopeful.

In the past when a manager has been linked with leaving in one way or another there has always been a few other options whether people agreed with them or not.

However, this time if Poch was to leave who is actually out there that could replace him?

1) I am not going to pick out individual posts, but you know as well as I do that there are those who worship him on here.
2) No, not all the signings have been atrocious, but far to many. Surely you realise that !!
3) I only said that Arry established us as a top six side (4th in 2 seasons). From that point onward we have continued to be top six. You may see last season as a success for Poch, whereas I see it as failure. Finishing 3rd in a two horse race behind Arsenal, and not even attempting to win a trophy is not my idea of a good year.

I accept that I tend to see the glass half empty, but perhaps my expectations are higher. I am older enough to have been going to the Lane for many years, and fortunate enough to have experienced many cup finals. These are the days I long for, not just finishing in the top 6 of a league we can't win.

I have supported us since 1959 and in my opinion this has the potential to be the best Tottenham team since our glory days in the 60s. I loved Harry but this team has nothing to do with him and all to do with Poch. If he stays he could well become our Sir Alex Ferguson.

Well we've been down this road in the context of determining who the best chairman in football is. I think you gave props to Dortmund, Juve and some other massive clubs who are not comparable to us :)p).

Ahhhhh. Now I remember. I think I mentioned Aulas from Lyon, Watzke from Dortmund and Agnelli from Juve - my point was that these men brought clubs out of struggling circumstances and onto greater heights than Levy's managed (I think). :p

Look I'm not taking anything away from Klopp. What he did at Dortmund was pretty damn good and there aren't a lot of people who can say they have done the same or better. But that's a pretty high bar to be measuring, much less expecting, someone to operate at.

Poch finished 5 in his first season (he inherited a particularly underperforming squad with attitude problems), third in his second (after being the only team to really challenge the eventual winners) and is currently in second place in the league in March in his third season. He has also currently got the best defensive record in the league, and I think got it in his second season as well. Our goals scored is also not too shabby.

Even as I write that, I cannot quite believe that there are people that are doubting this man's ability. Absolutely bonkers. Completely and utterly ludicrous. If the expectation is that he should be doing better, then I am waiting for someone to explain to me WHY we should be expecting that. All that has been offered is that someone did something better in another league who just happens to be the manager of a team in our current league at the moment. That same team has been one of the most inconsistent teams. World beaters one day, and mid-table mediocrity the next.

Oh, I'm not expecting Poch to reach the heights Klopp did at Dortmund by any means. Klopp's achievements are special for a reason - if we expect every promising young manager to do what he did, then they cease to become exceptional, don't they?

Poch has done well, on his own terms - I don't think anyone can be unhappy about his time here on the whole, and I hope he'll get some slack if we go on to have a bad season under him in the future (given what he's achieved so far). And I think @simon harris perhaps hasn't been discussing this subject in good faith, sadly.

However, there are areas where Poch has flaws, and I'm not particularly fussed about pointing them out - that is not 'doubting this man's ability', since I also think he's shown that he also has the drive and ability to improve upon them (as proven with his tactical tinkering this season in response to our tried-and-tested 4-2-3-1 proving flat). But he's not perfect at present, and I think that maybe sometimes we (all of us) go a bit far in assuming that he is or assuming that any criticism of him inevitably comes from a less-than-honest position.

The PSG thing is interesting as he does have a connection there, however they want to win the Champions League, how will they view his failures in Europe? We won 2 games out of 8 this season with some pretty abysmal showings.

I imagine he realises he needs to improve this before he goes to the next level.

The PSG thing is interesting as he does have a connection there, however they want to win the Champions League, how will they view his failures in Europe? We won 2 games out of 8 this season with some pretty abysmal showings.

I imagine he realises he needs to improve this before he goes to the next level.
Perhaps with unlimited funds at his disposal he will turn them into European champions who knows, but it would hardly be the same scenario as here.

Ahhhhh. Now I remember. I think I mentioned Aulas from Lyon, Watzke from Dortmund and Agnelli from Juve - my point was that these men brought clubs out of struggling circumstances and onto greater heights than Levy's managed (I think). :p

Oh, I'm not expecting Poch to reach the heights Klopp did at Dortmund by any means. Klopp's achievements are special for a reason - if we expect every promising young manager to do what he did, then they cease to become exceptional, don't they?

Poch has done well, on his own terms - I don't think anyone can be unhappy about his time here on the whole, and I hope he'll get some slack if we go on to have a bad season under him in the future (given what he's achieved so far). And I think @simon harris perhaps hasn't been discussing this subject in good faith, sadly.

However, there are areas where Poch has flaws, and I'm not particularly fussed about pointing them out - that is not 'doubting this man's ability', since I also think he's shown that he also has the drive and ability to improve upon them (as proven with his tactical tinkering this season in response to our tried-and-tested 4-2-3-1 proving flat). But he's not perfect at present, and I think that maybe sometimes we (all of us) go a bit far in assuming that he is or assuming that any criticism of him inevitably comes from a less-than-honest position.
I think Poch is perfect. Perfect for where we are currently as a club. He doesn't need a big budget, is happy to develop players already here and ready to give youth (who show promise) a chance.
To find someone who can work within those restrictions (or has the skillset too) and genuinely appears to have a decent connection with Levy is extremely fortunate.

Overall he may not be perfect but he is still young, he appears as open to learning as his players. And let's face it, despite the restrictions we are punching well above our weight.

And as always with these things you have to ask yourself.......what are the alternatives?

if (when) he does leave I trust Levy to replace him well, ENIC were a bit hit and miss for a while but since (and including) Redknapp all of the full time appointments (i'm obviously not including the clam in the gilet in this) have been successful and moved us forward with a zero net spend

Poch is doing a great job but it's on excellent foundations

Mauricio Pochettino prefers to have Tottenham talent at home, not on loan

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/10/mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-talent-loan

I think there are pros and cons of both staying and going on loan, every player develops differently. Too much cuddling isn't good.

Kane on going out on loan:

“We were in a relegation battle and it probably turned me into a man, really. I was playing in difficult, high-pressure games and I managed to come out of it positively. It will be interesting to play them again. A lot has changed since I left, but I’m looking forward to Sunday.”

I think Poch is perfect.

Overall he may not be perfect

Make up your mind, mate. ;) Nah, I get your point - he's the ideal coach for the situation we are in. But that doesn't mean he's perfect, and that doesn't mean that I as a fan am happy with *everything* he's done - on balance, I'm pretty happy to say that he has got the great majority of things spot on and that he is constantly improving, but he has his faults, and he has done a few things that haven't rubbed me the right way over the years.

I like the fact that when Alli scored against Everton to make it 3-1 and Poch did his best Klopp/Conte/Mourinho impression, turning to the fans and celebrating like crazy... the team switched off, Everton scored and his wife told him off for being a plum, so he won't do it again and was disappointed in himself. Very British, stiff upper lip.

he's the ideal coach for the situation we are in. that does mean he's perfect, and that does mean that I as a fan am happy with *everything* he's done - on balance, I'm pretty happy to say that he has got the great majority of things spot on and that he is constantly improving, and he has done things the right way over the years.

Beautiful editing of comments there @DubaiSpur ;).....sure there's a job in one of the rags waiting for you.:)

It's good you have reservations, and question when something doesn't make sense to you. At least you engage in a decent conversation about it.....rather than ranting.

I'm fully ok with the direction of the club, on and off the field.....so will not sweat the small stuff. There is nothing of much importance to really worry us at the moment (especially compared to years gone by)

Im sure Poch's picture will end up on the wall in your office..........and dare i say even General Levy (tin hat on)

btw.....did you check my editing above:cool:

Beautiful editing of comments there @DubaiSpur ;).....sure there's a job in one of the rags waiting for you.:)

It's good you have reservations, and question when something doesn't make sense to you. At least you engage in a decent conversation about it.....rather than ranting.

I'm fully ok with the direction of the club, on and off the field.....so will not sweat the small stuff. There is nothing of much importance to really worry us at the moment (especially compared to years gone by)

Im sure Poch's picture will end up on the wall in your office..........and dare i say even General Levy (tin hat on)

btw.....did you check my editing above:cool:

Cheeky ninja editing there. :p I don't mind discussing anything with anyone here, mate - the way I see it, we're all here to gab about our common passion, and there's little point in trying to score points against your fellow fans because of differing opinions.

I agree that there isn't much to be worried about - small concerns about stadium funding aside, we're set fair for the coming years, and I don't recall being more laid-back about where we're heading as a club for a long, long time (I think the last time I felt this at ease was when Redknapp first came in and we started determinedly moving away from the relegation zone). We're really just arguing over small matters at this point (is he just really good? Or is he *perfect*? ), and that's a brilliant luxury to have.

Let's win the FA Cup this season - if Poch pulls that off, I'm *defo* sticking a picture of him somewhere on my desk. That I guarantee. ;)

Back