• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Out of interest @simon harris when do you think was the last time we had a squad this strong?

I think the Arry squad with bale and VDV weren't far off, but I would say this the strongest for many many years. Unfortunately there isn't enough depth in certain areas to challenge for a title in the indefinite future

3 questions:

1) Which posts (or posters) on this forum show anyone thinking Poch is a messiah?
2) have all the players Poch has bought been "atrocious"?
3) If Arry was the one "who established us as a top 6 side" do you credit Arry with also being in last season's title challenge, or was that actually down to Pochettino (regardless of how the last 4 games went in the end?)

1) I am not going to pick out individual posts, but you know as well as I do that there are those who worship him on here.
2) No, not all the signings have been atrocious, but far to many. Surely you realise that !!
3) I only said that Arry established us as a top six side (4th in 2 seasons). From that point onward we have continued to be top six. You may see last season as a success for Poch, whereas I see it as failure. Finishing 3rd in a two horse race behind Arsenal, and not even attempting to win a trophy is not my idea of a good year.

I accept that I tend to see the glass half empty, but perhaps my expectations are higher. I am older enough to have been going to the Lane for many years, and fortunate enough to have experienced many cup finals. These are the days I long for, not just finishing in the top 6 of a league we can't win.

1) I am not going to pick out individual posts, but you know as well as I do that there are those who worship him on here.

Until you can actually point out this so-called "Worship" as opposed to PRAISE for Poch, i think i can say fairly that you are bullsh1tting; feel free to prove me wrong though

2) No, not all the signings have been atrocious, but far to many. Surely you realise that !!

I realise not all have been good for sure (including some this season for whom the jury is still out) but can you list these "atrocious" signings please?
Then list the ones you think are not "atrocious" and divide them up as you see fit (say into very good, good, average etc)
If you can do this you look less like someone who is taking a broad paintbrush to make a point that they can't back-up..

3) I only said that Arry established us as a top six side (4th in 2 seasons). From that point onward we have continued to be top six. You may see last season as a success for Poch, whereas I see it as failure. Finishing 3rd in a two horse race behind Arsenal, and not even attempting to win a trophy is not my idea of a good year.

But at the beginning of last season (i.e. in July/August 2015) where did you REALISTICALLY expect Spurs to finish? You keep mentioning "3rd in a two-horse race behind Arsenal", which is just the thing that many Gooner WUMs i know keep saying....funny that...

I accept that I tend to see the glass half empty, but perhaps my expectations are higher. I am older enough to have been going to the Lane for many years, and fortunate enough to have experienced many cup finals. These are the days I long for, not just finishing in the top 6 of a league we can't win.

Let's wait until the end of the season before crying into our horlicks eh? Jeez, and to think that @thfcsteff probably thinks I'm the pessimist:eek:

I think the Arry squad with bale and VDV weren't far off, but I would say this the strongest for many many years. Unfortunately there isn't enough depth in certain areas to challenge for a title in the indefinite future

I'd agree that we need to add depth but i think that we have to recognise that it takes time to build a squad. It sounds like you agree with me that you'd have to go back to the eighties for the last time we had a team this good.

Do I fudge but even the greats like Alex got it wrong ... Seb Veron was his record signing at one point.

Yes, I don't expect every signing to be 100%, but just about every Spurs supporter I spoke to when the Sissoko rumor was going around didn't want him or rate him.

Yes, I don't expect every signing to be 100%, but just about every Spurs supporter I spoke to when the Sissoko rumor was going around didn't want him or rate him.

Go on and who else? You mentioned Janssen previously and his stats and pay suggested that he would have a good chance at succeeding here. Who knows he could still come good.

Go on and who else? You mentioned Janssen previously and his stats and pay suggested that he would have a good chance at succeeding here. Who knows he could still come good.

How about Fazio, Nji, Yedlin, and Stambuli. Oh, how can you say that about Janssen, he can't hit a barn door

We'll see Steff. I do think it's a bit easy to say "he deserves better to work with" after all it was him who chased Nkoudou and him who chased Janssen. After a while the judgement on how well such players do will have to fall on Poch.

As i say Poch has done well, but the above are examples of areas he himself needs to improve (i.e. targeting of players and squad integration)

Include some tactical refresh for Europe as well.

How about Fazio, Nji, Yedlin, and Stambuli. Oh, how can you say that about Janssen, he can't hit a barn door

You forget to mention his signings at soton.

All of those players mentioned were highly thought of in their respective leagues.

We can't go for the top end players do we have to make a calculated risk. All of those players net cost very little.

Actually I'd be surprised if we didn't make a touch on them.

We go for players with potential or players that have a resale value. As a spurs supporter I'm surprised that you have not even grasped the basics of what we are about currently.

14/15
Davies
Fazio
Alli
Stambouli
Vorm
Dier
Yedlin

15/16
Son
Alderweireld
N'Jie
Wimmer
Trippier

16/17
Sissoko
Janssen
Wanyama
N'koudou

harsh to pin the first years signings on Pochettino (good or bad) he had just joined and we had a DoF still and would have been working off previous targets im sure.

15/16 was a good window, N'Jie being the only blot

16/17 looking poor on paper i guess - Sissoko would have been expected to have a bigger impact on the first team and Janssen would have been expected to have been better cover for Kane.

i think you can group our signings in to three different categories - players expected to challenge/go in to the first XI, players expected to add depth to the squad/provide cover and players with potential that we're taking a bit of a punt on.

N'koudo/N'jie/Yedlin would be the punts (potentially even Dier and Alli in this one too)
Fazio/Son/Alderweireld/Sissoko/Davies/Wanyama expected to challenge for the first XI
Stambouli/Vorm/Wimmer/Trippier/Janssen expected to provide cover/depth

personally i think that's a pretty decent return overall and with the end result being that the squad is stronger than it was previously - not sure why anyone would choose to overlook the overall improvement to focus on the individual deals that didn't work out

Christ are we really arguing about signings again

Look at @billyiddo 's list

- Wanyama, Toby, Alli (1 per year) are best in the league type signings (the ones most clubs hope to get once every 3-5 years)
- Son, Dier are just a level below, very good team players
-- Wimmer, Trippier, Vorm, Davies are all the very best squad depth players you could expect to get

Go back a few years and add Bale, VDV, Modric, Berbatov, Carrick, Eriksen, Vetogen, Lloris, Walker, Rose, Dembele to the list. Fact is Spurs has bought brilliantly in the last 7-10 years, WC, WC potential and just great squad players. If you want to count misses or poor signings, you just (no offense) have no idea how player acquisition works.

I couldn't be arsed .. but if you want to argue about this - go make a list of Manure, City, Pool, Scum signings in last 7-10 years and prove that we somehow have a significantly worse hit ratio (despite them having the ability to buy closer to finished product), I'll help you, between 2004-2009 Pool bought 76 players under Benitez, want to discuss how much were brick? Chelsea currently has over 38 players out on loan .. wonder what their total signing number is?

Final point, Poch's system is difficult, I think we have to expect that quite a few players simply won't make it, it's part of the trade off when you play such a rigid system type game, upside is sometimes a youth player (ala Winks) walks in and fits seamlessly.

We'll see Steff. I do think it's a bit easy to say "he deserves better to work with" after all it was him who chased Nkoudou and him who chased Janssen. After a while the judgement on how well such players do will have to fall on Poch.

As i say Poch has done well, but the above are examples of areas he himself needs to improve (i.e. targeting of players and squad integration)

Like all managers he has a list of targets. We do not know who was on them and who we ended up getting. Mitchell's abrupt quitting has an echo around it that we do not know much about. Something happened. I think, for now, I'd rather focus on how he has developed Danny Rose, Harry Winks, Harry Kane, Sonny and Dele Alli, along with the likes of KWP and CCV on the cusp of first-team action. Janssen is indeed a strange case, we shall see. NKoudo, like Njie, seems to have massive potential versus injuries/what he has been able to do. Let's see. I personally think too man y people forget where we were three years ago.

When did I say I had left them ?

From experience most people who post on forums rarely if ever go to the games. They are fans rather than supporters, and believe that being a proper fan involves saying nothing but positive things about Spurs. In reality people who attend the games tend to be the biggest the critics, and are most certainly the hardest people to please. This is because they have spent a considerable amount of money following their team, and therefore have bigger expectations of the players and manager.

A rash generalization. In fact, people who go to matches regularly tend to see things beyond the stun and spin of social media/media...not to mention see the entire pitch and all that is happening on it!

Oh well Simon, it takes all sorts, and if your ivory tower is comfy, if your half-empty glass gives you comfort, if your 'knowledge' offers security, then I say enjoy my friend and forgive me for not following you along that path of thought.

I will criticize when necessary, but I will equally apply contact and perspective to everything that is happening at the club. And in my opinion, if the last two things are applied, it is impossible to conclude that Pochettino is doing anything BUT a great job.

14/15
Davies
Fazio
Alli
Stambouli
Vorm
Dier
Yedlin

15/16
Son
Alderweireld
N'Jie
Wimmer
Trippier

16/17
Sissoko
Janssen
Wanyama
N'koudou

harsh to pin the first years signings on Pochettino (good or bad) he had just joined and we had a DoF still and would have been working off previous targets im sure.

15/16 was a good window, N'Jie being the only blot

16/17 looking poor on paper i guess - Sissoko would have been expected to have a bigger impact on the first team and Janssen would have been expected to have been better cover for Kane.

i think you can group our signings in to three different categories - players expected to challenge/go in to the first XI, players expected to add depth to the squad/provide cover and players with potential that we're taking a bit of a punt on.

N'koudo/N'jie/Yedlin would be the punts (potentially even Dier and Alli in this one too)
Fazio/Son/Alderweireld/Sissoko/Davies/Wanyama expected to challenge for the first XI
Stambouli/Vorm/Wimmer/Trippier/Janssen expected to provide cover/depth

personally i think that's a pretty decent return overall and with the end result being that the squad is stronger than it was previously - not sure why anyone would choose to overlook the overall improvement to focus on the individual deals that didn't work out

Good post @billyiddo. For me it is simple, our first team is infinitely better than the one he inherited, our squad a lot stronger too and all of that whilst breaking even on transfers. It would be easier to judge how Poch ranks alongside the other managers @simon harris mentions if any of them had ever built a team for zero outlay in a league where their club is significantly outspent by at least five other teams.

Back