• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Presumably this morning Daniel Levy got his chauffeur to drop him off at the headquarters of Barclays/ Nike/ Google/ whoever... went up to the top floor in the lift... walked into the CEO's office (thrusting his hand into the face of his PA)... unzipped his foot-long-schlong and dropped it onto the desk with a schlll-thuddd.

"You know last month we wanted £20mpa and you offered £10mpa for stadium sponsorship?

We just beat City to go into the Semi Final of the Champions League.

I want £30mpa. Byeeeeeeeeeee!"
Did he break an egg in the process?

But that was before ‘football’ was invented in 1992.
I loved Keith Burkinshaw, he was my "first Spurs manager." However, it was a completely different time in football terms. We were on a far more equitable financial footing with the likes of Utd, there were no money doped teams, the FA cup and Uefa cup were much more highly regarded. So in many ways there was less pressure on KB than on Poch. He also had a genius by the name of Glenn Hoddle at his disposal.

I loved Keith Burkinshaw, he was my "first Spurs manager." However, it was a completely different time in football terms. We were on a far more equitable financial footing with the likes of Utd, there were no money doped teams, the FA cup and Uefa cup were much more highly regarded. So in many ways there was less pressure on KB than on Poch. He also had a genius by the name of Glenn Hoddle at his disposal.

We were as rich as anyone

I think he's trying to deflect some blame and pressure from his squad.

"The stress and the fatigue arrived. We are competing with circumstances that are not the best."

"We arrived for this game in a different condition and that was an important factor in the second half. It was really tough today."

"We cannot say now we were thinking about Tuesday."

"We wanted to win the three points to be in our position and arrive to the Champions League game in a very good mood and way, but it wasn't and now we need to move on."

"We did not manage the ball properly," Pochettino said. "It was a difficult game but in the second half we conceded a lot of space for them to counter-attack."

"The first half was good but we lost the ball too easily in the second half."

Fair comments as usual.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47994865

Fair comments, but the reason for teh tiredness is partly because we haven't replaced Dembele and are 1-2 bodies short in attacking areas. Those additional players would have made a monumental differences yesterday. Hopefully we'll fall over the line to qualify for the CL and address this shortfall in teh summer

Fair comments, but the reason for teh tiredness is partly because we haven't replaced Dembele and are 1-2 bodies short in attacking areas. Those additional players would have made a monumental differences yesterday. Hopefully we'll fall over the line to qualify for the CL and address this shortfall in teh summer
But who would the replace in the squad?
In the basis we already have too many players to fit in the squad, we can’t even have Jansenn on the bench Tuesday

I don’t think there is much wrong with the squad, I think the problem is largely lack of rotation, if you look at our line ups from the early games of this season it’s surprising how many of those who went long at the WC were straight into the team. In addition, how many wasted minutes did we put into the domestic cups?

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we see Kane play again this season too, which is madness, he needs a rest, a footballer is never going to say “I’m not ready to play”*, the coaching/physio therapy team need to enforce it. Until Kane gets 3/4 months off his ligaments will never heal correctly, the time to fix this is now or he’ll be another Ledley.

We’ve run the squad into the ground.

*Yes, Sturridge does, the exception that proves the rule.

I don’t think there is much wrong with the squad, I think the problem is largely lack of rotation, if you look at our line ups from the early games of this season it’s surprising how many of those who went long at the WC were straight into the team. In addition, how many wasted minutes did we put into the domestic cups?

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we see Kane play again this season too, which is madness, he needs a rest, a footballer is never going to say “I’m not ready to play”*, the coaching/physio therapy team need to enforce it. Until Kane gets 3/4 months off his ligaments will never heal correctly, the time to fix this is now or he’ll be another Ledley.

We’ve run the squad into the ground.

*Yes, Sturridge does, the exception that proves the rule.

There is a lot wrong with the squad. We have no proper right back and 3 mediocre ones making a young centre back the best option there. Our only proper ball player in midfield is very injury prone. We have no one who can fill in for Eriksen so we’re killing him. Granted there aren’t many as good but even someone who could handle the games against the poor teams would be welcome. We have Lamela taking up a squad place and he spends all his time in the treatment room. Janssen and Llorente are our back up strikers and aren’t good enough.

KWP and Skipp obviously aren’t good enough. Poch doesn’t trust them because he’s never had any qualms about throwing in a player even if they’re young as long as they are good enough.

The squad is decaying and we’re getting away with it because we have a great manager, some excellent players and our rivals for 3rd and 4th have been poor this year.

We need to do what Liverpool did last year. Buy very good players in the positions where we are so obviously light.

There is a lot wrong with the squad. We have no proper right back and 3 mediocre ones making a young centre back the best option there. Our only proper ball player in midfield is very injury prone. We have no one who can fill in for Eriksen so we’re killing him. Granted there aren’t many as good but even someone who could handle the games against the poor teams would be welcome. We have Lamela taking up a squad place and he spends all his time in the treatment room. Janssen and Llorente are our back up strikers and aren’t good enough.

KWP and Skipp obviously aren’t good enough. Poch doesn’t trust them because he’s never had any qualms about throwing in a player even if they’re young as long as they are good enough.

The squad is decaying and we’re getting away with it because we have a great manager, some excellent players and our rivals for 3rd and 4th have been poor this year.

We need to do what Liverpool did last year. Buy very good players in the positions where we are so obviously light.

Who would you buy?

The only real issues we have are that we didn't replace walker properly 24 months ago, and that we didn't replace wanyama 12 months ago. The rest is just tinkering and succession planning

Who would you buy?

Bearing in mind I’m an office worker rather than a football scout, I’m probably not best placed to comment but...

I’d look for Wan Bissaka, Sessegnon, De Ligt, Ndombele, Grealish, Mitrovic. We won’t get them all but they pretty much fit the profile of the type of players we buy and should be reasonably realistic. They’d all also address a shortcoming in our squad and improve what we have. No squad is perfect but we have a lot of problems with ours.

And I thought I was negative ;)

Tripps was good for a year, maybe he’s just knackered from lack of rest, too early to write off Aurier or KWP imo.

Eriksen, Lamela, Winks, again, overworked and rushed back from injury too early. Son is our backup striker and he’s great, arguably as good overall as Kane. Again, too early to judge Skipp, he’s done well so far imo.

Poch is great at many things, but this isn’t the first season we’ve hit a wall.

Bearing in mind I’m an office worker rather than a football scout, I’m probably not best placed to comment but...

I’d look for Wan Bissaka, Sessegnon, De Ligt, Ndombele, Grealish, Mitrovic. We won’t get them all but they pretty much fit the profile of the type of players we buy and should be reasonably realistic. They’d all also address a shortcoming in our squad and improve what we have. No squad is perfect but we have a lot of problems with ours.

Bearing in mind you are an office worker, you’d be more use to us than grealish or mitrovic imo.

Back