• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Not singling you out, your like a sage on here...so honest question, 30 something years old spurs fan to another, maybe slightly older. can you see Poch turning this back around? And why?

Because for ages I’ve felt like he’s disinterested and treading water and it’s showing in the players performances.

Well i have over 50 years watching our great team, i have seen glory ( honours), i have seen relegation, i have seen some real world class players, i have also seen some really poor players but i really do believe that there are a section of fans who do like to moan no matter what. Not saying you are one of them but in all honesty i have seen you ( imo) overthink certain things.

Now you have every right to do that just as those who think you " overthink some times" have a right to say that. But as we all say on many occasions Stop! Hammer time.

As for your question "can you see Poch turning this back around" well i have no crystal ball so i will be honest and say i have no idea, however i think he will but i will admit that the slowness of our game thinking and movement is baffling. I have never had a problem with what Poch says in press conferances and i honestly think that some fans over react overly to them and wind themselves up for no real reason.

Maybe you are right when you say "I’ve felt like he’s disinterested" but its guesswork/opinion at best and that is (imo) creating a problem for you and anyone who thinks that way without any proof. At the end of the day he has done some great work here and IF he has a stumble at the moment then we should/could give him the benefit of the doubt.

Do not get me wrong i have posted on here since the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game that i really believe that our play is far too slow ( and part of that at least must be down to Poch) and we need to change that, also (imo) he needs to get Jan, Eriksen and Davies back in the starting line up. But at the end of the day i am not the manager ( just a fan) and i think Poch has a lot in the bank credit wise so i will hold back talk of " took us as far as he can' " he is treading water" " lost interest" etc,etc.

I think part of that needs a move away from total possession football - we need to play deeper or let the opposition have the ball a bit more so when we do attack they are so deep and compact they it's almost impossible to break down.
Agree, seems eminently logical, but for whatever reason Poch has said in the past he won't do that.

I would say, as much as I can appreciate Poch’s way of dealing with the press can cause some confusion. And how particularly with some seemingly odd player selections like Jan being left out, it would be nice to have some transparency...I think people are taking what Poch says in the press too seriously.

I would venture that he deliberately talks in riddles 99% of the time because he’s trying to keep everything behind close doors, rather than reveal the truth he sends as many mixed messages out there as possible to obsuficate the situation. Take a look at his reactions after City and Ajax and try and tell anyone that he doesn’t care. It was clearly a big personal milestone for him but he loves this club - that was the real Poch. The confusing public persona is probably a Bielsa tactic he’s decided works quite well.

It’s obviously fine when we’re winning but when we’re losing questions about the approach will be asked. And I must admit I am intrigued / slightly concerned with what is happening around the squad right now. The talk of it being unsettled, that the Eriksen situation is having this much impact on the team, I’m not fully comprehending why we’ve allowed it to be such a big issue. And I’m not fully comprehending why players that have improved so much and have just seen a great run to the CL final want to leave (not just Eriksen) right at the point that we’ve got the new stadium, can pay proper wages and are bringing in big game players.

Maybe Poch’s methods tire experienced players out if they’ve worked to them for a while. I think that is a legitimate question to ask. So maybe we need to refresh and November onwards we may see another Adebayaor/Kaboul/Kane/Mason moment, where we bomb out the likes of Rose, Eriksen if he’s still here and maybe Jan, and put more trust in guys like Parrott, Sessegnon etc. If we were able to get a fully committed Eriksen for a season as he tries to earn a big contract, great, but I almost wonder if he is indicative of a larger problem of players wanting to try their luck elsewhere. And maybe Poch is slightly fudged off that these players don’t seem to appreciate the improvements he has made in them, particularly when they haven’t secured better offers!!

We need to get back to feeling like everyone is committed, everyone is pointing in the same direction, and everyone wants to be here. Maybe we just need a few months to really make that transition. It was always what made Poch’s Spurs who they were. So maybe that’s the issue. Poch’s ramblings in press conferences though? Entirely designed to keep people guessing and away from the real truth if you ask me. Question why players want out after the club finally gets itself on a top level footing by all means, but don’t put too much stock in something meaningless.

Great post. I share the confusion as to why so many members of the squad and/or staff are unsettled now, just as things are looking up. You might be right about Poch's methods tiring the players out over time. Or maybe it's just that the last two years have gradually dampened some player's enthusiasm at the club, and once you've lost that it's hard to get it back. (From two years of Wembley, lack of investment in the squad, performances and results in the league going backwards, and just more time without a trophy).

I too hope that this is resolved soon by the relevant players leaving or somehow having their enthusiasm re-kindled, and that Poch has enough left in the tank to get 100% commitment out of himself and the squad once those players are dealt with. Even then, it will be a shame that this season will likely feel like more of a rebuild than a big step forward. But hopefully we can do that in a way that generates momentum and sets us up to take the big step forward next season, without a new set of players (or Poch) starting to feel stagnant again along the way.

Mourinho would walk into this job if pochettino goes .... this board would be unbearable.

A bit of patience chaps ... he has proved his worth and it's time to really back him as a manager.

Ofcourse he is not beyond criticism but some posts are sort sighted and very childish.

A little perspective and reality should keep you focused and behind the team.

Mourinho would walk into this job of pochettino goes .... this board would be unbearable.

A bit of patience chaps ... he has proved his worth and it's time to really back him as a manager.

Ofcourse he is not being criticism but some posts are sort sighted and very childish.

A little perspective and reality should keep you focused and behind the team.

If Mourinho came in I think Id simply forget football exists for three years and come back once he left after everything turned sour, see what pieces are left behind...

LOL, it would be horrible. I wouldnt want to win trophies in Mourinhos image.

Just look at recent history on this board, Jol, Redknapp have left great division here with half the board still in love with them

That's my point, half love them the other half not so much.

Go on Redcafe and half of them love Jose and acknowledge what he done for them.

Would things go sour with him as our manager? Probably
Would we win trophies? Probably

The longer the football isn't attractive to watch the more being winners takes importance otherwise what enjoyment are us fans getting?

Mourinho is poison, its simple as that.

If you are of the mind that winning at all costs is all that matters then fair enough, maybe he is for you.

However, he is most certainly not for me. Not ever.

I could see it, we would win something with him, more likely a couple of trophies.

He would raise the profile of the club as well (he is an elite level manager despite everyone's correct concerns)

And in his 3rd year we would have a rebuild project.

Great post. I share the confusion as to why so many members of the squad and/or staff are unsettled now, just as things are looking up. You might be right about Poch's methods tiring the players out over time. Or maybe it's just that the last two years have gradually dampened some player's enthusiasm at the club, and once you've lost that it's hard to get it back. (From two years of Wembley, lack of investment in the squad, performances and results in the league going backwards, and just more time without a trophy).

I too hope that this is resolved soon by the relevant players leaving or somehow having their enthusiasm re-kindled, and that Poch has enough left in the tank to get 400% commitment out of himself and the squad once those players are dealt with. Even then, it will be a shame that this season will likely feel like more of a rebuild than a big step forward. But hopefully we can do that in a way that generates momentum and sets us up to take the big step forward next season, without a new set of players (or Poch) starting to feel stagnant again along the way.

Yes I hope so too. I must admit to still not being entirely convinced how, just by a transfer window slamming shut, players suddenly playing back to their best. And I’m not sure what it says about them that they haven’t been able to perform to their best while this has been going on.

Poch is also a different dude and thinks differently to how a lot of people do. I feel like things like loyalty, trust, giving your best, doing the right thing, they genuinely mean a lot to him where as doing the right thing for yourself is probably how others go. And maybe when he’s sensing the aura isn’t right, he finds it more difficult.

Something is really odd. We should have had enough to beat Saudi Sportswashing Machine. I don’t understand the vibe around the place. I’m looking forward to a new bomb squad. The Jan thing is odd - maybe the noise about Toby being willing to sign a new contract is linked to Jan, in that Poch is giving Toby a run while Jan is making it more difficult for us to plan?

The big intrigue though is why so many players seem like they are at the end of their tether with it just when things should become easier. Trippier alluded to it. Rose seems to want out every summer. Now Jan is making life difficult? Eriksen hasn’t even managed to get an offer. GHod knows what Aurier and Dier are thinking, maybe they are moping about the place having been injured and just want a change of scenery.

I could see it, we would win something with him, more likely a couple of trophies.

He would raise the profile of the club as well (he is an elite level manager despite everyone's correct concerns)

You'd imagine that Levy wouldn't let him go nuts in the transfer market.

Team/squad is still young with the players getting to the end of their time here known too all. so I wonder how messed up squad wise we'd be if it was to happen?

No guarantees we will win with him. Particularly as he is yesterdays man.

There are guarantees we could write off several of our young players, they wont get a chance.

And we can write off several of our stars, because he will drum them out.

And he will try and Redknapp the hell out of the squad, old and expensive are his forte (if Levy let him, if not thats where the sulking will begin)

Speaking of which, seeing his sneering face represent our club is not worth any trophy. He would be our representative, and I dont want his "message" associated with us at all.

And, of course, he will be publicly slagging off our players while simultaneously taking credit for any results.

And thats all before the actual football that will be on show...

No guarantees we will win with him. Particularly as he is yesterdays man.

There are guarantees we could write off several of our young players, they wont get a chance.

And we can write off several of our stars, because he will drum them out.

And he will try and Redknapp the hell out of the squad, old and expensive are his forte (if Levy let him, if not thats where the sulking will begin)

Speaking of which, seeing his sneering face represent our club is not worth any trophy. He would be our representative, and I dont want his "message" associated with us at all.

And, of course, he will be publicly slagging off our players while simultaneously taking credit for any results.

And thats all before the actual football that will be on show...

If the rest of the points you've made our guarantee's then surely winning trophies would have to be included in that as well.

Otherwise what are you basing the fact that they are guarantee's on?

Back