• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Wow! Not even 3 months since we reached our first ever Champions League final. Just 3 games into a transfer window affected season with an almost fully fit squad and new signings. Transitioning between midfielders. Never thought I would see this negativity towards Poch. Let's see if Levy shares your view.

How many times has that happened recently? I think I can count on one hand the number of times we've played at or near the level we can play at.

I think there's a good chance we'll finish top 4, but let's not forget that we only did last season because everyone else went to brick too. We are unlikely to be that lucky again, but so far the evidence shows we are likely to be that disjointed again.

Top 4 is important, but we're not Arsenal - there has to be some target beyond that. I'm not fickle or impatient enough to believe that has to happen quickly but I do want to see progression. Currently our progress is backwards and needs to be arrested fast.

Thank feck that Levy had all those negative energy lemons from Pochettino’s office sent to Aaron Ramsey’s gaff so that he got injured during the run-in last season, as the Goons form without Ramsey was even worse than ours without Dembele.

On paper it would seem that we have done a better job of replacing our midfield talisman but our form has been poor for so many months that integrating the new recruits might take a while and the constant chatter about potential exits can’t be helping dressing room harmony either.

https://statsbomb.com/2019/08/are-r...i-ceballos-changing-the-way-their-teams-play/

Wow! Not even 3 months since we reached our first ever Champions League final. Just 3 games into a transfer window affected season with an almost fully fit squad and new signings. Transitioning between midfielders. Never thought I would see this negativity towards Poch. Let's see if Levy shares your view.

It's not about three games, it's about months of declining performances.

The new players are given a pass, the issue is the established players are phoning it in, Kane and Sanchez in particular on Sunday showed zero effort, it’s what Poch is doing with the group as a whole that concerns me.

It's not about three games, it's about months of declining performances.

It’s this and the moaning in the press. I want the Poch we had from 2014-2017. The fact he doesn’t sound like he wants to be here and poor performances will always get people questioning him. He’s caused a lot of this himself because I find it hard to love a manager who thinks he’s doing us a favour by being here.

I also think performances dropped off around April 2018 but results didn’t catch up with us until around new year 2019.

I have a lot of faith in Poch and I love what he’s done for this club. But from a position of near infallibility, he’s now got something to prove again. Let’s see if he’s up to the job.

Mate, the 'negativity' (I'd call it concern) goes beyond the last 3 games.

I agree. It is essentially down to him. He is the manager ffs. He makes some silly statements at times (ie refer to me as the coach - as if he has nothing to do with transfers despite being on the transfer committee !) His coming accross as a petulant, hard done by individual. I said before that he needs to man-up. He is our leader. He needs to start showing some strong leadership qualities - and quickly. I am not (yet) in the Poch out rude boys as I believe what he has achieved for us over the last six years has been brilliant and he deserves a lot of credit for that.

However, as Scara's graph showed, these three games aren't just a blip but rather we have been on a downward trajectory for some time. Some interesting stats are:

1. We have only won 9 out of 22 games played in 2019 (40% win ratio)
2. We have only had 7 wins in our last 21 games in all competitions (33% ratio) with11 defeats and 3 draws
3. In the PL, we have had just four wins from our last 15 matches (26% win ratio) with only 15 points achieved - i.e. a point a game.
4 And apparently we have not been ahead at halftime in something like 23 out of 27 games (85%)

For me, all these stats are shocking. But the last one is testament to our slow starts in most games. Pool and City start fast and often score early. This makes teams come out and they then exploit the gaps. Why we don't do this is just mystifying to me. Poch needs to address this first and foremost. Our build up before games simply can't be right. He needs to send them out fired up. At the moment, he doesn't even seem to be able to get himself fired up.

He is our LEADER. Everything stems from him. He must find his mojo again soon and project it into his players. If he can't do this over the next few months , then I believe at that time we should start to consider "alternative arrangements ". It really is now all down to him to show he has what it takes to be a successful manager with a top club.

At least part of the slow start issue is our tactic of passing sideways and backwards very slowly 40 yards in front of the opposition goal. When we move it at pace we're a completely different team. What's almost as annoying is that when we score a goal, instead of going for the kill we revert to passing it sideways and backwards very slowly 40 yards in front of the opposition goal. When this tactic doesn't work we hit the diagonal to the full back and hope the cross connects.

Feels like if anything we're overly complicating the tactics, to what end I'm not sure. Without the players to do it (which we don't have) go back to playing a quicker tempo game.

No offence intended, but have you just come out of a 8 month coma?
Haha thanks for your concern but no, just been a supporter of this club for nearly 40 years. In that time I have seen more relegation and mid table battles than finals and top 4 finishes. I have also seen my fair share of truly brick managers.

In the period of so called "concern" let's say from Jan 19, it has been conveniently forgotten that we were also played a two leg semi with Chelsea which we narrowly lost having beaten both Arsenal and West Ham in earlier rounds, we won European ties against Dortmund, City and Ajax Having come through a group including Inter and Barca. This with practically no defensive midfield, Kane and Alli out at different times, Verts concussed, Son banned for the first Ajax game and players knackered from the world cup let alone a long hard season. A season where we started very well winning a record number of games having made no signings. Having won at Old Trafford, hammered Chelsea at Wembley and won at the Emirates.

So, forgive me mate if I don't join the witch hunt I have tremendous respect for a manager who has given me the longest, unbroken period of joy in my time supporting Spurs. I am willing to give him the benefit while he sorts this out. I think it's the least he deserves.

Last edited:
Haha thanks for your concern but no, just been a supporter of this club for nearly 40 years. In that time I have seen more relegation and mid table battles than finals and top 4 finishes. I have also seen my fair share of truly brick managers.

In the period of so called "concern" let's say Jan 19, it has been conveniently forgotten that we were also played a two leg semi with Chelsea which we narrowly lost having beaten both Arsenal and West Ham in earlier rounds, we won European ties against Dortmund, City and Ajax Having come through a group including Inter and Barca. This with practically no defensive midfield, Kane and Alli out at different times, Verts concussed, Son banned for the first Ajax game and players knackered from the world cup let alone a long hard season. A season where we started very well winning a record number of games having made no signings.

So, forgive me mate if I don't join the witch hunt I have tremendous respect for a manager who has given me the longest, unbroken period of joy in my time supporting Spurs. I am willing to give him the benefit while he sorts this out. I think it's the least he deserves.

There is no “hunt” but if you can’t see that something is wrong I have no clue what your watching, the lucking our way to Madrid masked over all the problems, we were lucky to get out of the group stage by getting Barcelona last and they rested players and frankly played like they were on holidays, Dortmund had a mid season meltdown and threw away a double digit lead at the top of the German league that cost them the German title, it just happened we played them at that time, at the time we were still scrapping results, the away leg we frankly should have been 2 even 3-0 down by HT. City was perfect timing the first leg was the second game back at the Lane, no one was going to beat us those first few games and 1-0 was huge, the clean sheet changed the dynamic of the second leg and we still got away with trying to throw it away thanks to VAR, Ajax again frankly are not all that they beat a Madrid in meltdown and had a brilliant second half against Juventus, we made them look amazing in the first leg through poor team selection and tactics, three at the back marking a false nine, we only escaped with a 1-0 loss because Vertonghen got concussed which forced a sub after what 25-30 minutes whatever it was, otherwise everyone knows that nothing would have happened till at least 60-65 minutes and we probably would have been further behind, the 2nd leg again Ajax were not all that we should be getting to quarter finals imo Ajax should not never mind semis, we went out there done the job, take the emotion away but we made hard work of it.

Look at the league form it’s posted somewhere on here this morning, it’s actually worse than I thought, the last 15 games we would be in the bottom three, the only three wins at the end of last season that got us 4th happened to be the first three league games back home, do you honestly say with any confidence if them games were either at Wembley or if we moved back home last September as originally planned we would have got them 9 points, I don’t.

And this fatigue it’s a complete excuse we were scoring loads of goals late and finishing strong, that doesn’t make sense for a team fatigued and knackered, not to mention this season has been a continuation of last seasons form, nothing has changed despite having a break and a full pre season, the teams picked against Villa and Saudi Sportswashing Machine while obviously not our strongest they should still have been able to comfortably beat them.

Not to mention Pochs overall mood and attitude, something is so clearly wrong, I don’t know anybody that wants Poch out but the issues have to be addressed, sticking you head in the sand and pretending everything is fine does more harm than good.

In the period of so called "concern" let's say from Jan 19, it has been conveniently forgotten that we were also played a two leg semi with Chelsea which we narrowly lost having beaten both Arsenal and West Ham in earlier rounds, we won European ties against Dortmund, City and Ajax Having come through a group including Inter and Barca. This with practically no defensive midfield, Kane and Alli out at different times, Verts concussed, Son banned for the first Ajax game and players knackered from the world cup let alone a long hard season. A season where we started very well winning a record number of games having made no signings. Having won at Old Trafford, hammered Chelsea at Wembley and won at the Emirates.

I think the CL run rings it own alarm bells, why are the players lifting themselves in the shop window of the CL?

That run whilst amazing had a large element of luck, we were dire against Ajax

We had no World Cup and full pre season of rest and we are still showing zero intensity, so why is that?

I don’t want him out, but at the same time I’m not currently convinced he knows what to do or is fully committed.

You are 100% right - a chance to sort it out is the very least he deserves because he has been by far our best manager in my 35 years supporting the club.

But we’re just acknowledging that there is something to sort out and it’s partly of Pochs making. He also has to show that he wants to be here to sort it out.

I want him to stay

I also want him to play the best players/formation/tactics (or the players/formation/tactics that have historically worked for us to bring back a sense of familiarity and cohesion into the team)

I also want him to stop giving interviews that can be interpreted (rightly or wrongly) that he is doing us some sort of favour/is hard done by/wants to quit football and go back to farming. At time of unrest/flux what is needed is strong leadership and that comes in many forms. For me as a fan I want to see the man at the top looking and talking like he's fully focused on the job at hand, and that he's got in all worked out. Even if he's flapping that should be under the surface while he glides along like a swan.

I want to see less diamonds, Kane not upfront, attacks with no width (or starting with width then reverting to having none after 10 minutes)

I want to see the guy that was fighting back tears at the last game at WHL. The Tottenham that smashed Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project 4-1, Utd 2-0, that cameback to draw with Juventus 2-2.

This is 100% spot on for me.

I think things have been SO Smooth in his time that people are seeing now nothing more than day to day management stuff and they are getting all abit windy. Its silly for me.

I think this is a bit of a watershed game.

We had the team there to batter Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and I think the fact we didnt is firmly with Poch. Not sure whats going on with him, but this team just isnt working like it used to - and its his job to make it so.

Without Vertonghen, without Eriksen, we should have tore Saudi Sportswashing Machine apart. A front 4 of Kane, Lamela, Moura and Son should do a number on just about anyone.

Its the first time in a very long time I feel let down by management, and it is concerning because Ive never really had that with Poch before.

Maybe once that window closes he will refocus and settle in again, and things will pick up, but it is of great concern that that even seems to be the case.

He should be right on top of the team and squad NOW, and ripping teams like Saudi Sportswashing Machine a new one.

I dont understand why he seems so distracted, and why the team is reflecting this.

I find it hard to imagine its all about Eriksen and co, that really should be an annoyance - not an absolute catastrophe like it is mounting up as.

If his head is all over the place because of transfer business Id be greatly concerned.

Its a worrying time, feels very different, and thats unsettling.

Im a pro Poch sort, and am certainly not talking of making changes to management or anything like it - he deserves the chance to turn things around.

But I really want to see those steps being made.

He has the players to put together a fudging quality team. I want to see that. I want to see him focusing on the football, like he always used to.

I have a feeling that if we lose to the scum then full on meltdown will happen. Don’t be surprised if #PochOut trends on twitter.

Back